IFish Fishing Forum banner

Any Yaquina bay salmon reports?

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Bigworm 
#1 ·
I haven't been over to salmon fish in the last couple weeks and I was curious how salmon fishing has been recently in the Yaquina. I have a friend who is doing well in the Alsea, but I am much more comfortable in Newport. Is anyone doing any good? Any info helps.

Thanks

#3 ·
Guess it depends on the day but several friends have been catching around oyster plant and 31. Some fish also being caught up by canyon quarry in the last couple of days! So I guess it depends on what day and who you talk too? I plan on starting next week so hopefully I will be one of the boats landing fish!!

#7 ·
Took a quick ride this afternoon up the Yaquina from South Beach to River Bend, saw one boat fishing. To me that means its slow.

On the other hand did see boats in the Alsea on the way home. To me that means they are probably catching some fish.

They are coming just a matter of when.

SM

#8 ·
Newportfisher, yes it's about two river miles from south beach. I like to troll from about riverbend to the Toledo boat ramp about a 3 mile stretch. I tend to concentrate around river marker 31. Hope this helps you out. As the days go by its only going to get better, talked to my neighbor and he caught two a couple days ago one was around 35lbs!:whistle:

#12 ·
I have fished the Yaquina for over 25 years (yes I caught oreaqua fish). I fully support the "U da man" tournament and will be there this year again because of the effort towards our fisheries. I really want to know what lure or bait you are using to go 3/4 even in a full day. With all of my time fishing the Yaquina, I have never seen these results. You or your friend must have the secret formula, please share. For some reason I am thinking you fish the Alsea.

Support the U da man tournament! If I get the formula, get in line behind me.

Seabass

#13 ·
I have fished the Yaquina for over 25 years (yes I caught oreaqua fish). I fully support the "U da man" tournament and will be there this year again because of the effort towards our fisheries. I really want to know what lure or bait you are using to go 3/4 even in a full day. With all of my time fishing the Yaquina, I have never seen these results. You or your friend must have the secret formula, please share. For some reason I am thinking you fish the Alsea.

Support the U da man tournament! If I get the formula, get in line behind me.

Seabass
I know plenty of fisherman that have multiple fish days on the Yaquina. I know one that specializes in it. A lot of times the fish come in flurries, due to working the proper time / tides. Didn't two of the top three fish in the last U da man come from the same boat? And I believe that boat, a guide boat, had 9 total fish?

I like fishing the ocean where they can come easy. Personally I am not a very good tidewater fisherman. It takes much more skill and experience. That is the secret formula. Those that have it certainly can have good days, conditions permitting, as ryan apparently did.

#15 ·
IMO river fishing is different and requires skills I have yet to learn. At least in the ocean the fish are sometimes actively feeding and that gives me a chance. In the river it seems to be a reaction strike and that's something I don't yet understand. Plus it helps to know the river, the holes where they seem to congregate or hold and the tides seems to be more important in the river than in the ocean. So while I don't find it easy to catch them in the ocean, I can occasionally hook and land one, in the river they are very elusive, it's rare I hook one in the river. Besides, my boat is an ocean boat!

Got my book group to change our meeting date, so I'll see some of you at the U Da Man!
ron m

#17 ·
Woodenboater (Greg), myself and another buddy will be trolling the river after putting in at Southbeach Monday morning, hope others fishing too. We're not the most experienced bunch, plan to use a Herring (brined with Bill Monroes' recipe) behind flashers.

Dan

#20 ·
Fished it Saturday and it was almost not fishable due to seaweed. Fish checker at the airport said he'd checker zero fish for the day by 2:00pm.
I did not see a single net, single fish, or even any jumpers on Saturday. The folks at the oyster house (I stopped there) said the same thing, they hadn't seen any fish caught.
I'm surprised it's so slow.

#22 ·
We fished for about 2.5 hours today from the 28 marker up to the 31 marker thru a tide change. Saw 2 fish caught in that area and know my neighbor got one in there too. Fought the grass. Only about a a dozen boat working the area. Still slow but the Yaq always starts in earnest later than other area rivers in my experience.

That being said, I have had many multiple fish days on this river. On a couple occasions I've limited with 6 fish. It's like any river, it can be hit and miss. I learn something every trip!

I'm on the U da Man board too. We appreciate the support!

#23 · (Edited)
We planned to troll the river all day after dropping a stack of Danielson's West of the bridge but the bright thing up in the sky and glass flat ocean was too tempting. With my freezer near empty I needed some ground fish for weekend fish frys'. Did not plan for ocean travel, so I left extra fuel tanks at home (won't make that mistake again :doh:) and we fished North on Yaquina reef. Not much love for us there before time to get out of the way of an 8'-2" wall of water heading West (ebb tide), that's too much water for my 16' wood boat and 55hp four stroke.

We were only able to troll for a couple hours, mostly near Sawyers. Only thing we caught was salad! Thinking that the large tidal exchange flushed all the seaweed out and our lines caught most of it. No Salmon for us today.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.