IFish Fishing Forum banner

What are coyote and bobcat pelts worth?

29K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  gottafish 
#1 ·
I've been following the thread on varmint rifles and didn't want to hijack the thread, but many of the posts talk about pelt damage from certain rounds, and less from others1.

My question is, what are coyote pelts worth? What about bobcat pelts? Where do you sell them once you get them?

Thanks in advance.

Hawk

G
#4 ·
I never been wordy.

Sometimes it comes across wrong and I have to post more words to corect things. If one can say it in fewer words it should be easier to understand but rarely is.

I've been out of the fur harvest game for over 20 years and haven't got a clue as to prices. I do know they are low.

If I kill something I don't like to see it wasted.

G
#6 ·
At one time there was a fur auction in Grants Pass. Someone here should be able to direct you to a fur buyer that's close to where you live.
If you pick up a copy of Fish, Fur and Game they usually have fur prices. I've tried to do a search and only come up with anti hunting/trapping krap.

#8 ·
I am probly wrong but I thought the prices were doing a little better, with the asian market driving it? Might be like shrooms though you sell them to a broker for a couple bucks a pound and they sell them for 20 or 30 bucks a pound. Its like anything, only worth what someone will pay

G
#9 ·
Furs aren't sold by the pound.

When I was harvesting fur rats brought $8.00-$12.00 EACH. Coyotes ran around $50.00 and a good linx/cat (eastern Oregon bobcat) would bring $100-$150. Last time I checked, late summer, rats were less than $2.00.

On a good day I could bring in 50-75 rats, a few **** and mink, a dog or two and a cat per week.

#10 ·
I posted this link on the other trapping thread. It lists the various fur sales by the Oregon Territorial Council on Furs and the prices the furs sold for. There's also contact info if you're really interested.

Based on the prices at these sales, the average coyote is going for about $15, which means western Oregon coyotes are probably not worth the effort to skin them. Bobcats, however, are selling for pretty good prices lately.

Ni!

G
#14 ·
gottaafish,
300+ water sets, 20-30 land sets and calling in the morning and evening. Lots of work but I made more than gas money.

trask,
That's good money but the hides have to be prime + to bring in this kind of money.

#15 ·
We expected the prices to rebound this year from the last couple where they over-bought, ending up with furs left over, especially coyotes. But it has not happened. Prices are still low, and I've heard that a raccoon in the round is bringing more than a skinned coyote. I do think that bobcat is staying good.

It's early in the year though. And, no, I don't have specific numbers for this area. Wish I did.

Skein

#18 ·
Well, here's a breakdown on last season's fur prices for me. These are on trapped, fleshed and properly dried fur.

These are averages, meaning runt through XXXL. What you read in Fur Fish and Game are XXL prices and for prime pelts from the best sections. If you can find a way to only call and shoot, or trap the big animals with prime fur, PM me. :hoboy:

Racoon: $4.00
Beaver: $15.00 (quite a few were bit up, spring beaver)
West side bobcat: $30.00
West side coyote: $12.00
Muskrat: $2.00
Nutria: $2.50

These were sold at the Oregon territorial council auction.
As you can imagine, I am still working a full time job to support myself. I doubt we will ever see the prices we once did for fur. Remember, averages count, not a high ball price on one jumbo hide.

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.