IFish Fishing Forum banner

more gillneting columbia

11K views 131 replies 41 participants last post by  2tired2work 
#1 ·
#14 ·
:doh:
Here we go again..... Another day of kill-netting ... Must be to many fish in the river ???? I think I will take-up golf. P.S." BOAT FOR SALE "
That's the attitude! Quit when you don't get what you want :doh:

There is still plenty of fish in the river. The powers at be aren't budging so just live with it and be happy you don't live in the Midwest where salmon/steelhead don't exist. OR move to the great lakes and catch those nasty colored up nookies and steelhead they have over there.

We live in one of the greatest spots in the world for chrome bright fish. We should all be happy to even have the opportunity to fish for them. Nets will always be around. Get over it and go fishing.

#15 ·
If I remember right Measure 81 failed because (most) everyone fell for the governors rhetoric, never imagining a lawsuit would be filed.

As Lurp suggests and I tend to agree, this thing will be in the court system for longer then anyone imagined. I just hope I'm wrong. :twocents:

#9 ·
DING DING DING

(Oh and the emphasis twds Sports from 60/40 transitioning to 80/20 - Sport majority - is another thing we ALL need to make sure happens over the next 3/4 yrs!)

No one said this was going to be easy!

#13 ·
Remember we are getting to fish this extended season because the Nets are in.

Be friendly to the guys that want more hatchery fish and have the voice and power to do so.

Look how easy it was for them (Gill netters) to suggest a barbless hook rule for sports fishermen. It was almost instantly.

#23 ·
Remember we are getting to fish this extended season because the Nets are in.

Be friendly to the guys that want more hatchery fish and have the voice and power to do so.

Look how easy it was for them (Gill netters) to suggest a barbless hook rule for sports fishermen. It was almost instantly.

:applause: More fish sounds pretty dang good to me .... RobbyD

#16 ·
I don't get the vitriol over the Governor's plan. M 81 did NOTHING to restrict WA netters and did NOTHING to increase sport allocations. And do you think 81 would NOT have been challenged in court or reversed by the legislature? IF it had passed?

The people who conceived of, wrote, and pushed 81 onto the ballot thought the Gov's plan was a better deal. That's good enough for me.

#32 ·
The cohos are from WA (90% sure) The SABs. ( select area brights) are new production from Youngs River. That sporties will be catching.

The 1 mil number includes the 500,000 that were taken from sports in 2008 that we got squat for. The new transfers are less than 10% of current production. As I said. Some we just lost due to NFS. Most are fall release.

Still a major gain for sports no matter how you cut it

#37 ·
There are wild strays in the terminal areas. A few years ago they were shut down to prevent blowing out their impacts. The terminal areas use some wild fish impacts every year to operate.

In high water they shut down to prevent using more than allotted. If they were to use up all their wild impacts, they have to shut down and wouldn't be able to access the hatchery fish.

Unless of course they went to selective gear in the terminal fisheries

#39 · (Edited)
Dont be surprised to see a rule stating all chinook retained by sports anglers must have a removed ADIPOSE fin with a healed scar. The safe area fish will be marked some place else.
Do you honestly think the commercial industry is going to let the sport fleet hammer out fish in the safe areas after we just kicked them out of the mainstem? If you only knew what is going on behind the SEINES.

#56 · (Edited)
Quoting yourself now Joe? Kina telling isn't it?

CCA didn't abandon anything. CCA was abandoned.

CCA changed the dynamic by the hard work of hundreds/thousands of volunteers and supporters who worked hard to make that happen and it worked.

The new policy adopted in both states prioritized selective recreational fishing and requires selective commercial fishing by non tribal commercial fishing with and other gear.

In every state that gillnets have been banned. Commercial gillnetters continue to try to sneak back in with some variation of gillnet. These efforts will be resisted.

I haven't heard anyone from my side say "mission accomplished". Just "step in the right direction".

M-81 wasn't the end game. Neither is the new rules in place in both states.

Conservation minded sport anglers need to be diligent and engaged. And CCA will be here to help them be effective. CCA is all of us

Sorry if I neglected your latest scud. I was enjoying fishing this weekend.

#57 ·
"Step in the right direction" ?, all CCA has done is receive a pile of hard earned money then bring the sport/commercial conflict to a boil and both user groups are going to be adversely effected in the way fish are harvested. Meanwhile the impact on wild salmon stays exactly the same as it has for decades. Hard to believe CCA is for ALL OF US CONSERVATION MINDED.

#58 ·
The Drift.

I've been around these issues long before CCA was in the NW.

I recall Jim Wells shaking a Kwikfish at the commission and yelling "these things are killing our fish".

I recall Jon Englund and company snubbing sport fishers and shifting allocation. As well as trashing worked out agreements between commercial and sport and hearing gillnetters say "you guys are just playing with food".

The angst between the 2 groups is old. There have been many attempts to find common ground. Sort anglers have been forced to change and not revieve any adjustments in impact. More than once.

You and the other gillnetters think everything was fine before CCA because you were getting whatever you wanted and laughing at sports

Those of us who care about our fish for more than their price on the dock are the same folks. Just got together and got engaged

As Gary K says. Welcome to the days you've made.

#60 ·
In 09 they laughed at the sports. The so called "sports", led by the CCA, insisted on fishing the lower river, and the Willy even though there was a small run forcast for the Willamette. The laughter was at the hypocrisy of your use of the word "conservation". You use it a lot when it is convenient.

The netters moved up above 205 and fished with tangle nets, in an effort to protect the Willamette fish.

2013 is the babies from that run.

How did it work out for you GRB.

Ask how it worked out for the occasional sportsman who gets to fish 1-2 times a week, and doesn't have the $50,000 boat and the time to run up and down the river chasing fish.

Should have used a little "conservation" in 09.

CCA is the problem.

#63 ·
If you are saying that CCA is the reason change is finally happening on this decades old issue.

Thank you
CCA abandoned a measure that would have banned gillnets from the Columbia River in favor of a plan that gives anglers a higher take on ESA listed salmonids, leaving zero wild fish for conservation. All the while supporting a plan that ensures tanglenets are in the CR to stay.

The only change is sports get to kill more endangered salmon, what is the scientificly established timetable for recovery of the listed stocks under the Kitz plan again?

#64 ·
How was your weekend Joe?

Did you go fishing? I did. It was a time I am really glad to be living in this great state.

Halibut in the morning and spring Chinook in the afternoon. Just one of each for me personally. But that is plenty of bounty for a sport angler to retain and share with family and friends.

Nice chat with the fish checker who checked our catch on shore.

Great time seeing all the dories at the blessing of the fleet. Sport and commercial guys with a common interest. Made a cash donation to the Tillamook County Backpack program to help low income kids in the community.

Relaxing drift down the river in the afternoon and all the traffic was already gone. Pretty cool day.

Makes me feel good about paying the fees I pay for tags and licenses, launch fees etc. Not to mention supporting the coastal economy. Grocery store, bars and restaurants, building supplies, contractors. Etc.

I hope you get to go fishing soon Joe. It's good for the spirit.

#65 ·
Joe,

Will you be at this event mentioned below? It would be a good time to meet. We could get to know who you are and maybe clarify some of your concerns, or just agree to disagree. I'd like to find out what your plan or action is and how you are going to carry it out. In any case, we'll know your name and where you stand.

See you there!

Ginny

Last December the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to adopt a historic fishery reform package that includes a phased-in ban on the use of gillnets in the mainstem of the Columbia River. The reforms were first offered by Governor John Kitzhaber as a compromise proposal to resolve decades of controversy over the use of gillnets. The State of Washington adopted the same plan in January.

As you may know, commercial gillnetting interests have filed legal challenges against the new rules in Oregon and Washington. CCA has already formally intervened in the Oregon case and will soon be doing the same in Washington. We will be doing everything we can to defend these new rules, which in a few short years will end the use of gillnets in the mainstem of the Columbia River – providing real benefits to our fishery resources and to recreational fishing.

The Oregon Commission will be meeting on the morning of Thursday, June 6 in Tigard to reaffirm the rule package in response to procedural issues that were raised in the gillnetters’ lawsuit. The Commission remains committed to the compromise proposal, but it will re-adopt the rules to address these procedural issues.

Hundreds of CCA members attended ODFW Commission, WDFW Commission, and bi-state working group meetings last fall. You answered the call time and time again, which was essential to securing a plan that bans mainstem gillnets and prioritizes recreational fishing.

Of course the gillnet industry is doing everything it can to block, water down, and disrupt these new rules. We expect nothing less this Thursday. Please consider attending Thursday’s meeting to reaffirm your support for these historic reforms.

The meeting location is below.

Thank you,
CCA Oregon

ODFW Commission Meeting
Thursday, June 6, 2013 – 8:00 a.m.
Embassy Suites Washington Square
Regency One Room
9000 SW Washington Square Road
Tigard, Oregon 97223
Agenda and Meeting Materials Available Here

#66 · (Edited)
Joe,

Will you be at this event mentioned below? It would be a good time to meet. We could get to know who you are and maybe clarify some of your concerns, or just agree to disagree. I'd like to find out what your plan or action is and how you are going to carry it out. In any case, we'll know your name and where you stand.

See you there!

It is going to be difficult for me to make it, still might as work seems to be always in the way.

I have however sent personal letters to all of the commissioners expressing my opinion on how best to craft regulations that would benefit the majority of us Northwesterners.

That is what they are trying to do.
Ginny

#68 ·
I don't think thats quite right Bill.

I'd have to go back and check but I think 09 the Columbia fishery was limited to below I5 to target the Willamette stock and reduce up river impacts.

It was a strong lower river return, weak up river return. Lots of fish in the WA tribs too.

#70 ·
One year seems to blend into another, status quo and all you know. The I5 closure during the high water years, 2010, 11? were the ones that affected my fishing the most. Too bad the moving the netters above I5 did not have more of an impact on the lower trib fisheries, they are nearly gone this year, and the future does not look bright for them.

#78 ·
Bill. I'll just say I accept your opinion but don't agree with it.

I would ask that you look at the spectrum of issues that CCA is involved in. I'd wager you would agree with the vast majority.

Good fishing to you

#81 ·
You can twist impact rates all you want. But when gillnets are used currently. Well over 90% of the salmon harvested in the Columbia River are 100% catch and kill.

So you use tangle nets for a night or two. The commercial sector has already harvested more spring Chinook out of the terminal areas this year than they have out of the mainstem.

Every other salmon fishery is 100% catch and kill. Summer Chinook, Fall Chinook and Coho.

Each wild fish killed rather than released hurts.

#82 ·
Have you already forgot they are going to have about 8 days of tangle nets for coho this fall, even though you have posted on here time and time again tangle nets will only be used in the spring ever. There could be 80 days of tangle net for coho as long as they don't go over allowed impacts or quota. All the lower river fisheries stay below their allowed impact rate about 90 percent of the time. I'm not twisting impact numbers at all just suggesting to cut the impact rate in half on wild salmon, no matter what the split is between sprt or commercial(80/20 or 50/50). Sure seasons will be shorter and harvests will go down but to have that warm and fuzzy feeling we saved the wild salmon would be priceless. And it's a better idea than saying these measures and plans will save the wild salmon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.