IFish Fishing Forum banner

No Shad for crab bait

10K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  Akatrout 
#1 ·
Since I did not get any shad for crab bait this year what is my next best option, thanks

#4 ·
chicken,turkey legs,fish carcasses,as hangin bait,dont want to use salmon carcasess,sea puppies love em.dont want to use sturgon carcasess,crabs hate em.caned cat food with holes punched in the can,discard in trash can when done,not in the water.......i got 6 lbs of frozen shrimp that i didnt use for catfish this year,i'm gonna try that in bait bottels along with turkey legs......

#12 ·
Goto either newport, depoe, or garibaldi docks and wait for some tuna guys to show. The best crab bait I've ever used is tuna heads. Crab love them and they will fish all day.

#22 ·
If no shad or any fish heads, you have to try Chicken or Turkey! Chicken is my go to before Turkey though...You can go to the local grocery store and buy the super cheap bags of Chicken...Gets my pots full all the time!

#24 ·
Had good luck using Turkey legs. Dirt cheap and easy to attach to the trap/pot, just use a plastic zip tie :meme:

Dan

#30 ·
last time i was in newport crabbing i found a mink carcis next to my truck laying on the ground no vehicle for 3 parking spots so i took it and put it in the crab trap and got nothing in that pot and we were using 6 pots and the other pots were getting small dungies and redrocks but the trap with the mink didnt get nothing but 1 starfish

#29 ·
They work great chopped and in a bait bag. I find that there are lots baits that work well, but all work best if they are fresh or at least food grade frozen.

I believe that intentionally dumping any petroleum product is against he law. There was a discussion about wd40 a few years ago as a scent for Springer fishing, if I remember correct it was determined that spraying wd40 onto lures and immediately fishing the lure is a no no.

#31 ·
My secret ingrediant is Mackerel. Put the chicken and cut up mackerel in the cooler night before so it is all defrosted. Put chicken in bait box, tear up a small mackerel or piece of mackerel and put in with chicken. We've caught crab with it when no one else was. We buy our mackerel and at an oriental fish market, frozen, $1.50 pound. They usually sell larger mackerel than the bait shops, 12 to 14 inch's, so one can be cut up for 4 pots.:excited:

#32 ·
you are correct Herm...Sorry about that. SHAD Bait...that was the topic right!

I just discovered the great Asain Markets in teh Beaverton area. The fresh fish and frozen fish is amazing. And the best part is that its a lot cheaper then most grocery stores. Check them out for crab bait. the only thing cheaper would be carcs from the fish stations.

#33 ·
Ther asian market is great. Shad and chicken have been my go too for years(those cheap cheap bags of hind quarters) Couple years ago I was short on bait and threw in some OLD trout from the freezer....amazing results. Since I keep all my trout carcesses and heads to mix in and haven't had a problem with the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.