IFish Fishing Forum banner

Great white cought out of Depoe Bay

28K views 46 replies 38 participants last post by  crabbait 
#1 · (Edited)
Hot off the press there was a 12' great white shark that had gotten cought up in some crab pot lines. I don't know the full story but i did see the shark my self and boy did it have some big teeth. I did get one picture on the cell phone it was dark so not the best picture.

See less See more
#9 ·
Don't know the details either... only that those things can keep twitchin' for a long time, even after they are gutted.

Tried to get Spinnergal to straddle it for a pic, but no-go. As the CG and a couple OSP Troopers were investigating, and measuring, the number I heard was 11'6".

#12 ·
9' or 12', whatever the size, that's still plenty big enough to take on a human being or 800 lb sea lion.
I haven't been more than ankle deep in salt water ever since I saw Jaws !!

#23 ·
It is a real shame that this shark got tangled up in those lines.

Remember what these big bad boys eat: Pinnipeds -- not people. And other stuff too of course.

Its a shame it got tangled up. I highly doubt they hooked and landed it that would have taken a long time even on heavy gear...glad they brought it in maybe a bio can get a look at it and gain something from it rather than it going to the bottom for crab bait, Im sure no surfers up north a few miles will shed any tears there have been several attacks just to the north over the years.

#16 ·
wow, BEAUTIFUL fish!

...and what better timing....SHARK WEEK! :cool:

But yes, sad it got caught up in the lines. They've always been out there, and always will....taking out sealions one at a time.

Definitely more interested in pinnipeds. Humans just get mistaken sometimes. Hence why we have rarely had any encounters with them

...don't ya people watch Shark Week?? :D

Great to see though!!! wow! wish I was there, and hope to hear this story!

#24 · (Edited)
Wasn't a crab boat.

A sport fishing boat. Guy was using standar round ocean sport pots. Said he (and crew) hauled it up by hand.

You could see the rope marks on the body up by the head. I got some of it at the cleaning station on video. Once I figure out how to get it on u-tube or something, I'll link to it here.

#19 ·
I’m probably not going to get on anyone’s Christmas Card list for this, but I was under the impression that the Great White Shark is a protected species. Regardless of how it died, isn’t it still illegal to have one in your possession? A little like picking up a bird of prey alongside the road I think. It’s really sad when one of these Apex Predators dies like this off our coast. Regardless of how someone feels about the Great White and its reputation for being a “Man Eater”, it is one of only two regular predators off our coast that preys on Seals and Sea lions. I for one wish we had a lot more Great Whites out there making sure that there were a lot less seals snatching the fish off your line or ganging up at the river mouth tarring the bellies out of the egg heavy female salmon trying to enter the rivers or get up the fish ladders. I did a quick search on the internet and it revealed that at last count, there were nearly 100,000 various seal types off our coast. That’s about 85 seals for ever mile of coast line on the west coast. I say it again. We need more of these fish off our coast. :twocents:

#20 ·
I was fishing out of Depoe when I heard on the radio someone trying to ID a shark. They didn't know what kind it was. When I got back to the dock there was a boat waiting at the launch for their trailer and they had a shark tied off the the stern cleet. They trailered the boat and drug the shark up to the cleaning station. We were next in line and when we got to the cleaning station they had cut the belly. Inside was a whole baby porpoise. I talked to the skippers wife and she said that they had been trying to get ahold of some government authority but couldn't get anyone. A little while later plenty of authority showed up. The Coast Guard did a vessel exam and LE did a fish exam. They were not quite sure what it was, Salmon Shark or a White. In the end the skipper had to go dumpster diving to get back the innards and the fish and contents went away in the back of a Staters rig.

#21 ·
Just thought I would throw in my two cents. I was there next to Rick I really have a hard time with the crab pot thing but it was a cool looking shark to see up close like that :passout:

#36 ·
I wonder what it weighed? 600 pounds?
I bet your right on the money Wayne I saw the thing and it looked pretty large bing pulled up the boat ramp by a ford pulling a boat with a shark behind that and I was clear over at the cleaning station by Dockside :passout: O and did I leave out the four state troopers that where over there taking a guy in custody and they see the same thing now that was funny stuff right there you should have been there I laft my a-- off :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.