IFish Fishing Forum banner

charcoal in a wood stove

15K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Amahnee 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a danger to burning regular charcoal in a wood stove? I recently became the owner of a wood stove that can be used in a tent, and found a bag of charcoal in it. When I started talking to various people, I got a different opinion from all of them. Anyone do this?

#10 ·
Tell me more.
Obviously it would be pretty easy for me to expirment eh? Just throw some pellets in on the bottom before laying the main charge?
Do you add pellets later, if so, do they actually burn pretty good?
IS this a good strategy to hold a fire all night?

I burn pellets in my house, but never even thought of taking them camping as a suplement to the wall tent stove, or my Sauna stove at home.

#9 ·
FYI- Charcoal Briquettes have a little bit of coal in them to add a little more heat.

Charcoal briquettes are made of two primary ingredients (comprising about 90% of the final product) and several minor ones. One of the primary ingredients, known as char, is basically the traditional charcoal. It is responsible for the briquette's ability to light easily and to produce the desired wood-smoke flavor. The most desirable raw material for this component is hardwoods such as beech, birch, hard maple, hickory, and oak. Some manufacturers also use softwoods like pine, or other organic materials like fruit pits and nut shells.
The other primary ingredient, used to produce a high-temperature, long-lasting fire, is coal. Various types of coal may be used, ranging from sub-bituminous lignite to anthracite.
Minor ingredients include a binding agent (typically starch made from corn, milo, or wheat), an accelerant (such as nitrate), and an ash-whitening agent (such as lime) to let the backyard barbecuer know when the briquettes are ready to cook over.

#11 ·
DO NOT SUBSTITUTE COAL for char coal.

coal will melt that stove and burn down your tent.
Coal burns terribly hot.

A guy could melt the top of his wood stove into any manner of twisted shapes with a lump of coal in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.