IFish Fishing Forum banner

Daiwa Saltist STT-50H Reel question

15K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TrinhTD 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with this reel? I'm looking to buy a moderalty priced halbicore reel and that Daiwa Saltist STT-50H reel looks nice. Would this reel work for both Halibut and trolling for Tuna?

Is it my imagination, or does this reel come in a left hand retrieve as well?

#4 ·
That reel will work fine for both Halibut and Tuna. I fish with Cougman and he has two of the 40 size reels that he uses for halbicore and we have never had a problem with them. I also have a stt30t on a travela rod that I use for tuna and think it's a great setup. Works for both trolling and casting.

#8 ·
The straight number (30 40 50) are geared 4.1:1 or something in that range...

The numbered ones followed by an H (30H 40H 50H)designated high speed retrieve, and is geared 6.4:1 or something near that...

NOT "2 speed" those are reels that allow you to switch between various retrieval speeds with the same reel.

Generally, for torque, you want lower gear ratio, and for speed retrieve applications (butterfly jigging) you'd look for higher, faster retrieve.

I have a 40, and like it. I think I will be getting one of the new 40 lever drag 2 speeds when they are released this fall.

#10 ·
I re-rigged with a Saltist 40 with some backing of nylon and 330 yards 65 toughline. I matched it with a 15-50 lb 7' rod. The retrieval was good and fast at the pile. Pretty quick for the shaker butts and really fun for the 50"er. I can do the ranch if I have to. Tuna if I get to go again. . It was a little too much for silvers but it worked.

#16 ·
Bought 2 levelwind Saltist 50's this year, so far so good, really like the drags, & smooth operation.

#20 ·
What size of line did you put on your reels and how much were you able to get on? I love the two Saltist 40s that I have but I need one with a levelwind for my wife. She has a hard time trying to reel in fish and use her thumb to guide on the line.

#19 ·
Been usin Daiwa 50s since early 80s they are better now and will catch any of our normal fish. Many halis in the 80-120 class have come 2 my boat via Daiwa 50s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.