IFish Fishing Forum banner

Hot Hands from Honda? Update/pictures

25K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  wetaline 
#1 ·
I want to put a hot hands sink in the splash well on my Hewes. I have a Honda 2002 9.9 power thrust that I want to get hot water from, I know that I have to drill and tap into the water jacket somewhere near the thermostat but I'm unsure of the exact site to drill...it makes me very nervous just thinking about it.

So my question is do any of you have this on your Honda kicker? Can I get you to post or e-mail me close up pictures of the drilling site and any advice on how to go about this to get it right?????

I'm generally very competent at this kind of thing but I just don't know where to drill.. :shrug:

Thanks W.A.

#27 ·
Re: Hot Hands from Honda?

WA, would also appreciate the address. Have a 9.9 Honda 4 that I would like to get changed over. The big CR doesn't warm up enough to keep my hands happy. :cheers:

#32 ·

Zaq, I'm guessing that you called and ordered the parts for your Honda? How much? was he surprised that you call? why I ask if he was surprised is one day after I ordered my parts I called him back to ask a question about the thermostat on my 90 HP Honda and when I had him on the phone I ask if he was getting any orders for his hot hands kit and he said no why? and I told him he would be getting some orders LOL I wonder how many people have call??? LOL...W.A. :grin:

#35 ·
Re: Hot Hands from Honda? Update

Here's the update on the hot water from my 9.9 Honda.

I ordered the screw in tube from the Honda dealer then waited like a kid at Christmas for it to show up, five days later I received my envelope with the instructions on how to install the part, but no part...Big hole in envelope...seems the part was ripped out of the envelope when it went through the mail sorter in Portland. So I called the dealer....a new part is on the way.

In the mean time I'm wanting to play with this hot water from my kicker thing so I decide to see how the fresh water flush port, spring loaded flapper thingy works. I measured the hole size (Metric) Thread is 8.8.

I measured the depth with the spring flap closed (valve) .730" thousands. Then I measured with the flap (valve) fully opened, bottomed out .8365"thousands.

After alot of looking I found a Stainless steel bolt, 8.8 thread, size 13 bolt head (Metric) about 1 1/4" long,.

I center drilled the bolt through end to end 11/64", counter sunk the hole from the bolt head end 1/4" diameter so it would accept 1/4" Stainless tubing. I bent my Stainless tube and had it Tig welded to the bolt head. I was just going to slip my hose over the tube and hose clamp it into place but I was able to find a hose spur in 316 stainless so I cut the tube end off and counter sunk for the 1/4" tube and had it Tig welded on also.

I put a Stainless nut on the bolt and screwed it snug to the bolt head to use as a jam nut so I can adjust the tube to point where I want. Then I ground and dressed the bolt length so it will not bottom out against the spring valve when it is screwed in fully. I held it back .015" thousands from bottoming (don't want to push on the valve past the stopping point!) After adjusting to get the tube to point where I want I am .022" from bottoming.

The whole thing is way over built but it should last me. I did get my tube thingy from the Honda dealer, it looks like it would work fine but I will use my home made one. The one I received from the dealer has the potential to bottom out if you screw it in to far..I don't like that..It might break something.

The guy that's building my sink is on vacation (due back 5-6-04) so I won't have the sink until next week, the sink is costing me a fifth of Vodka.

I really enjoy making this kind of stuff for my boat :grin:...W.A.

Below is some pictures..The black thing is the part from the Honda dealer.

#37 ·

Trollin, I don't have Hondas screw in flusher for my kicker so I don't use that port. (I do have the one for my big motor) When I have been in the salt I use the ear muff style and my garden hose or I back in to the fresh water ramp two minutes from my home and run both motors for a few...W.A.

#38 ·

Trollin , Thinking about it I could make a fitting that will screw on to my garden hose and fits the hose end at my sink for flushing,it will be very fast as the flusher for the most part will always be hooked up...oh and I won't have to buy Hondas $30.00 flushing attachment. But I'll still probably flush most of the time at the ramp near my home W.A.

#40 ·

Jet, I've been told you can drill and tap the power head to get hot water on the older Honda's. I don't know where on the power head you drill??? Someone out there must have this done on their old classic.

We plumbed a friends (Jetman) 2000 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke big foot this last weekend, we were able to do it by lots of phone calls and talking to outboard service department mechanics on how to go about it. We looked at the exploded view of his motor online...it was easy after we figured out where...It was as easy as removing a water jacket zink and drilling and tapping the zink cover... I'm sure The Honda classic is similar. Somebody out there knows how???

#41 ·

Well, I received my sink and got it installed. I had the sink made 8"X 8" and 7 1/2" deep, I had a drain welded into one corner that I can plug. I installed a small faucet to control the hot water flow.

The sink is very accessible and still out of the way. I mounted it on rubber spacers...it turned out very clean.
I still need to drill a hole somewhere below the top lip to let water out, this will keep Kwikfish that are floating around in the sink from floating over the top...the overflow will just spill into the splash well.

I checked the water temperature at the sink, it looks like its going to run around 120 degrees..aaaaahhh :dance: warm water for washing my plugs and hands....W.A.

#45 ·

Wright Angle,

How is your new hot water sink working out? Any Challenges or changes you would suggest? Any tips would be helpful as well as the name of the dealer that sells the flush port fitting. PM me with the name if it is a more appropriate path.

Thanks for the help,

One More Cast

#46 ·

Wright Angle, I just posted a question on the many ifish board asking about this very thing. So how does your hot water box work now? Could you please PM me some info as well. I had a box installed on my boat when I picled it up last week , now all it needs is hot water. I have a 15hp Honda four stroke. The info would be greatly appreciated, especially since it doesn't affect any warranties.

#48 ·

Here are some pictures of the Yamaha T8 hot water hook-up..A friend at work took the pictures of his motor when I was still trying to find out how to get hot water from my Honda..The friend told me that NorthRiver sold him the kit for his Yamaha (I think :shrug:) W.A.

#49 ·

Thanks W.A. for the PM! I contacted the Dealer but they are closed till Feb 1. I Will be ordering that part then. I asked my dealer about the honda thermostat issue you brought up and he confirmed everything you said to the letter. One twist though, he said the 60 deg C thermostat was covered under warranty and the spark plugs also (if black), so I will be getting that 72 deg C thermostat from him FOC. and a set of spark plugs also. :cheers:

#51 ·

Here are some pics of my hot hands Honda setup. My sink is 8"x8"x8" stainless with a drain plug, overflow hose and shut-off valve. The Hose is just fuel line to handle the heat. The part which screws into the washout port on the outboard is 3 stainless parts tig welded together. The 7mm dia. rod was hand made from stainless rod and drilled out, because we couldn't find a 7mm dia stainless bolt on the planet. This part took as much work as the sink. I have tried it out and it is sweeeeeeeet.. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.