IFish Fishing Forum banner

Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

260K views 752 replies 300 participants last post by  wack0 
#1 ·
Enough talk of the Big River--how about the reports from the truly sporting angler plying the water of the Big Muddy?? I've heard of more than a few.

#5 ·
We fished Sellwood for 4 hours on Wednesday and it was dead. Never saw a fish or heard of a fish other than a small sturgeon being caught. Water was not very clear, could just barely make out the cavatation plate. Now the report is for 3+ inches of rain down the valley so it will be high and muddy for another two weeks.

Gotta love La Nina, ha ha.

#20 ·
Fished with Buzz Ramsey today, we went 2 for 2. One marked, one unmarked. Water temp. @ 49 degrees. We launched at Willamette Park fished above the Hawthorne Bridge, went behind the island, trolled the Spaghetti Factory and didn't mark a fish anywhere along the way. Motored upriver to the Milwaukie Trestle and found our first fish downriver of the trestle trolled cut plug herring and 10" Fish Flash in Chartreuse and Red at 14 pulls (26' on my line counter) with 6 ounces of lead. The second fish came on the same gear on the west side across from Waverly...also 14 pulls. Never saw another net out or fish on. Heard mixed reports of a bite just upriver of Waverly on the east side, another bite at Sellwood on the turn of the tide and the first part of the runout and downriver at Portland Harbor on the turn of the tide. Save me a spot in the parking lot...I'm fishing tomorrow and won't start until about an hour before high slack in downtown (11 AM) --- good luck to all!

#21 ·
Fished with Buzz Ramsey today, we went 2 for 2. One marked, one unmarked. Water temp. @ 49 degrees. We launched at Willamette Park fished above the Hawthorne Bridge, went behind the island, trolled the Spaghetti Factory and didn't mark a fish anywhere along the way. Motored upriver to the Milwaukie Trestle and found our first fish downriver of the trestle trolled cut plug herring and 10" Fish Flash in Chartreuse and Red at 14 pulls (26' on my line counter) with 6 ounces of lead. The second fish came on the same gear on the west side across from Waverly...also 14 pulls. Never saw another net out or fish on. Heard mixed reports of a bite just upriver of Waverly on the east side, another bite at Sellwood on the turn of the tide and the first part of the runout and downriver at Portland Harbor on the turn of the tide. Save me a spot in the parking lot...I'm fishing tomorrow and won't start until about an hour before high slack in downtown (11 AM) --- good luck to all!
Great report thanks for the info

#26 ·
theres no fish in the willy. they all went back out to the big c now that the water is warmer. so stay off the willy, there all back in the big c.:whistle:

#27 ·
BATTLE WITH A SEA LION:
Fished the Willy Wed and Thur. and put a 12-13 #er in the boat each day. Fish checker said about half the boats had fish.
On Thur. I was with two friends in a small boat. We tend to fish where we see sea lions - figure they know best where there are fish. My friend hooked and landed a 20#er. So, after about a 15 min fight, we were pleased we got the fish in the boat before a sea lion got it. My friend was bleeding it in the net over the side of the boat when a sea lion grabbed it. Just about pulled my friend in the river! All three of us grabbed the net and the battle was on. Amazingly we won - got the fish back in the boat with little damage, but the net looked like a pretzel.
In retrospect, we probably should have let the sea lion take the fish. The boat was small enough that a 300-500 # sea lion pulling on one side could have flipped the boat. Fortunately, someone above was watching out for us.

#34 ·
BATTLE WITH A SEA LION:
My friend was bleeding it in the net over the side of the boat when a sea lion grabbed it. Just about pulled my friend in the river! All three of us grabbed the net and the battle was on. Amazingly we won - got the fish back in the boat with little damage, but the net looked like a pretzel.
In retrospect, we probably should have let the sea lion take the fish. The boat was small enough that a 300-500 # sea lion pulling on one side could have flipped the boat.
Try using a 5 gallon bucket to bleed your fish in...a little bit safer. With the amount of furbags in the water today, I would want that fish in the boat quickly. Saw three lost to them today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.