IFish Fishing Forum banner

sport king bamboo fly rods

13K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Grantspastor 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard of sport king bamboo fly rods. I found one at a garage sail, 9 foot, three piece with spare top.

Now the question, is this worth $60.00 dollars

G
#2 ·
Never heard of them but at $60 I'm skeptical about their quality.
One of the big selling points of a cane rod is the re-sell potential. Look at old Leonard, Orvis and Payne cane rods and what they go for and you'll see what I mean.
There is a guy here in Hillsboro that is selling a cane rod with extra tip for something like $300-500. I know that sounds steep but for a quality cane rod that is dirt cheap and come to find out these rods are made in China or something like that. They have cheap components and are to be avoided.

#3 ·
A lot of people who are not familiar with bamboo rods think they are worth a lot more than they are worth because they are made from cane. I think that sport king was a line that Wards carried for a while. The rod is probably from the 40's or 50's at the most. There are several sport kings for sale on ebay with the highest at $47 and change. I would not pay any more than $40 for the rod if you want to keep it, and if you plan on re-selling it I would pay no more than $25. Hope this helps...

#5 ·
I think Airborne is right about Montgomery Wards. All bamboo fly rods are interesting. You never know when an old Leonard or Payne rod might show up. (never happened to me) ...I got a vintage Hardy Perfect reel in the 70's for 50 cents. The bottom line with a rod like that...is it worth $60 to you? Most of the loper quality 9 foot three piece rods were a little weepy. If you're thinking about buyin it...maybe they would let you cast it first?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.