IFish Fishing Forum banner

good kid lakes near Sunriver

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Deleted User 
#1 ·
My family and I are going to Sunriver next week. I want to take my two daughters (4 and 8) for some lake fishing. Anyone have good recommendations? We will be bank fishing (but if there is a lake with boat rentals we might try this).

Any advice on lakes, good fishing spots, or gear/bait would be appreciated. I'm not looking to bring home a feast - just to have fun with my girls.

Thanks - jeff

#3 ·
South Twin lake is stocked heavily with 8-10 inch rainbows. I would use powerbait off of the bottom. Use a sliding egg sinker so that when the fish take the bait, they dont feel the sinker. It is a great place for little kids to catch trout.

[ 06-29-2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: troutguy04 ]

#4 ·
Blank
Santiam is right on..... :cheers: South Twin is a great place. Small lake with lodge for tackle and supplies, restaurant with good food, shower facility and laundry for the campers. The lake is stocked with trout and also has a good number of bigger hold-overs. There are no motors allowed on the lake, so it is peacfull and quiet. Bank fishing is good on this lake too with Power Bait being an excellent producer in the past. There is also a nice trail around the lake for hiking and slooping beaches for good wading for the kids.
It's one of my favorite go-to places, I just haven't been for a long time. :depressed: I used to live in Bend.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the good advice. My kids are good powerbaiters (we go to Northfork a few times a year), so we might try Twin or Lava.

I have also heard that Paulina or East lake are good. I don't know if they have bank spots, though, and I don't know if my 4 year old would have fun trolling ...

#10 ·
BM,
If you have access to a boat, raft, etc. or the bank works too, just a longer walk; don't be afraid to head over to North Twin Lake. It has alot less pressure then South Twin, and fishing with power bait with light lines can be quite good. We take the driftboat over and use two anchors to still fish with the microlights. We have never failed to catch a mess of fish. No motors here either and alot less traffic due to the primitive campsites. If fishing is no good there is a great sandy beach area for the kids to play. Good Luck !

Get Bit

#12 ·
North Twin is a little less populated than South.

Bank fishing at East, you can't keep the chubs away.

check the stocking schedule for the Twin lakes. You could also try the Deschutes arm of Wickiup.

Rent a boat at Crane Prairie and kill some &%$#@ bass and whatever else "some bozo" has introduced into the former trophy trout fishery. :mad:

[ 07-01-2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Phish_on ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.