IFish Fishing Forum banner

The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread

686K views 2K replies 568 participants last post by  Chrome brights 
#1 · (Edited)
:excited:

I saw that we had one Chinook pass Bonneville dam on January 1. Right on schedule.. Yes it could be a lost king.. Maybe a lewis river winter king...? I doubt it... But I am just getting excited and thought it was time to have this post started... Good luck, be safe out there, and remember last year's first was caught super early!!

#464 ·
Re: The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Fished davis 7-2 today in the rain. 10 boats or so we missed one and saw one caught. Most action ive seen this year. Dead otherwise. Water clarity was good as long as you stay above the willamette influence.
Thanks for the facts!

#466 ·

Beautiful day for a boat ride. NOT! Cold, wet and windy pretty much sums it up. Report from boats fishing Bachelor to 62. NADA! I saw a few seals, and one sea lion. Marked very few fish. Turbidity on the CR is not good but fishable on the Oregon side. The Washington side near Bachelor is fine. Water temp on the CR today was 41.3 and the Slough was 44.8. Clarity on the slough is non existent. 6 inches max. The only action I saw today was a guy running for his rod fishing off the bank near 62...a hit and a miss. No sign of any smelt in the area no birds. Looking at the forecast for the Willy, the slough may fish in a month if we are lucky.:palm:

#475 · (Edited)

I plan on plunkin at willow grove beach tomorrow. First time fishin for springers. Any suggestions on what to use? Spin n glow? Enough current to keep a plug cut smelt up and flashing?
spin-n-glo on the bottom, run a cut plug on top. Use a size 2 or 0 spin-n-glo halfway down the leader to help float it. Probably should just use a Kwikfish on top however. And of course, post your results and the fishing conditions.

Attachments

#474 ·

Fished along Bachelor Is. from 7 to 12 today with 2 rods and cut-plug herring. There were half a dozen both around us. Water was definitely fishable on Washington side. We didn't see any action, however. It was surprisingly pleasant weather out there. Until next time...

#477 ·

Anchored at the top of Caterpillar Island today along with a buddy, from 7 to 1. No action for either of us and didn't see any action from the 8-other boats trolling. Water temp was around 40-degrees at noon. I'll give it a try next week….I sure hope some fish start moving in soon, I had released one and tagged one by this time last year.

#481 ·

there, also small game dept. ramp down lower river road at cat. Island. Not the best ramp but serviceable with limited parking not too bad this time of year, will save aprox. 6 mi. run from portco if fishing Davis or Cat. Is.

#486 ·

there, also small game dept. ramp down lower river road at cat. Island. Not the best ramp but serviceable with limited parking not too bad this time of year, will save aprox. 6 mi. run from portco if fishing Davis or Cat. Is.
Cat island launch is under a reconstruct. Its been useable on the weekends but limited. Ive avoidee it weekdays because they are there working on it. Portco is a long run to davis but i did it yesterday and it wasnt bad.

Davis bar 1-6. No action. Still good vis above the willy. didnt really mark fish like i did sunday. Just keep putting in the time, it will happen.it was a little windy in the afternoon but a beautiful evening.

#482 · (Edited)
The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

The Columbia was a good 18" higher today at 5pm than it ever got on Saturday. I saw 5 or 6 sea lions working the water along the Kalama marina. This is a lab though:

CW

#483 ·

Looks like we are back to only having one official spring chinook thread. Question, just got some sandy river smelt, do they make good Springer bait? I have never used them but thought it may be worth a try?

#490 ·

Back to the reports please.
No BS.
No picture then it didnt happen.
Reports only.

#491 ·

I'm on the I-5 troll. 2 other boats. Marked a couple good sized fish. Water is high but it's fishing so far. Might get to fast when the tide starts running.

#494 ·

Just as I suspected when the tide started running out the water got to fast. Vis is 3' not too bad. I think it's fishable on an incoming tide all we need is some fish. 3-4 more boats showed up didn't see any nets.

#495 ·
#496 ·

more rain in the forecast...

#497 ·
#499 ·

Fished at I5 bridge and Davis area today from 7 to 2. Saw no action from both areas. Water was chilling at 37 degrees. Marked a few on FF but few and far in between. Be at it again next week. Until then...

#501 ·

I fished the Cowlitz today. Water temp 43.5. Clarity of 4ft. Trolled the frog water with the best the Cowlitz has to offer"other fisherman". No runs, no hits, no errors. For the season they've had no bites. I think I will wait for the smelt to clear before I deploy another herring. Good shake down troll though. Cowlitz is a smelt lovers paradise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.