IFish Fishing Forum banner

Clamming in December!!

19K views 52 replies 37 participants last post by  Angler of Repose 
#1 ·
Great tides this week!
I hit them up yesterday and today and was off the beach at 4 each day. It is strange clamming in the late afternoon(and sunny in December). But what a beautiful way to enjoy the beach. Plenty of clams although finding the big boys was not as easy.
And crowds....Nada!

#10 ·
that is a diffrent type of clam, cousin or something. those are very narow and long clams with not much meat compared to our razor's. they are very fast diggers and can actually swim in water if needed. and there used to be some under the newport bridge, 10 years ago or better. im not sure about anymore

if i get a chance to hit newport area i'll post a report on any razors i find and where

#13 ·
Ok, I was lazy, so I went into ODFW website to find the answer to my question.

Recreational shellfish harvesting status as of 11/23/09
  • Mussel harvesting is open on the entire Oregon coast, from the mouth of the Columbia River to the California border.
  • Recreational and commercial clam harvesting is open on the entire Oregon coast, from the mouth of the Columbia River to the California border. This includes clam harvesting on beaches and inside bays.
  • The consumption of whole recreationally harvested scallops is not recommended. However, coastal scallops are not affected by toxins when only the adductor muscle is eaten.
  • Domoic acid results continue to be in the safe range.
  • Harmful algae bloom monitoring: South coast algae bloom reported

#14 ·
Ok, I was lazy, so I went into ODFW website to find the answer to my question.

Recreational shellfish harvesting status as of 11/23/09
  • Mussel harvesting is open on the entire Oregon coast, from the mouth of the Columbia River to the California border.
  • Recreational and commercial clam harvesting is open on the entire Oregon coast, from the mouth of the Columbia River to the California border. This includes clam harvesting on beaches and inside bays.
  • The consumption of whole recreationally harvested scallops is not recommended. However, coastal scallops are not affected by toxins when only the adductor muscle is eaten.
  • Domoic acid results continue to be in the safe range.
  • Harmful algae bloom monitoring: South coast algae bloom reported

wahoo, i geta fill my freezers again till the winter steel start to flow

#17 ·
Jr League is gearing up for the frigid temps as I type. Brother is on his way from Gig Harbor. Will be meeting Katosan and fish4brains at the beach. Low tide just shy of 9:00 pm tonight. Should be a beautiful moonlit night.

Looking forward to gathering a pile of meaty clams, then a nice warm bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup at the restaurant when we're done. Slippin' some fresh thin slices of razor clam into my pho for extra flavor. What could be better on a frosty winter's night?

#18 ·
Jr League is gearing up for the frigid temps as I type. Brother is on his way from Gig Harbor. Will be meeting Katosan and fish4brains at the beach. Low tide just shy of 9:00 pm tonight. Should be a beautiful moonlit night.

Looking forward to gathering a pile of meaty clams, then a nice warm bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup at the restaurant when we're done. Slippin' some fresh thin slices of razor clam into my pho for extra flavor. What could be better on a frosty winter's night?
Sounds great! What restaurant at the coast do you get the noodle soup? Love that stuff. Good luck and have fun.

EMO870

#22 ·
The only thing better than digging fresh clams in December is EATING fresh clams in December!

'Tis the season that emphasizes sharing, so I thought I'd share a pic tutorial on how I prepare quick-fried razors.

Start with a fresh pile of these:

Mix up a 50/50 blend of cornstarch and flour in one flat container.

Then make up an egg wash in another flat container using these proportions.... one egg, 4 shakes of Johnny's season salt, 2 shakes of Johnny's Salad Elegance, small splash of water (better yet use drained clam "nectar" leftover from your cleaning process... note the bowl collecting nectar beneath the yellow collander) . Double it for 2 eggs, triple it for three, etc. This demo uses two eggs for a dozen clam pieces.

Finally pour some panko (Japanese breading) in a third flat container. Set out a large flat tray as well. Line them up for the production like so:

Now it's just a matter of sending the clams sequentially thru each container. Dust each piece in the cornstarch/flour mixture on both sides, then douse in the seasoned egg wash on both sides, then coat liberally with panko on both sides, pressing lightly to really get the panko to stick. Shake away excess and lay each piece on the tray.

Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.

As one layer on the tray fills up, cover with a sheet of Saran Wrap or waxed paper before piling on the next layer. Here's me and LMWS tag-teamin' the whole process.

Let sit for 30-60 minutes while you prepare the rest of your meal. This will allow the coating to "gel" up on the clam, allowing more of it to stay with your finished product and less in the deep fryer.

Preheat your deep fryer to just shy of smoking hot. Peanut oil works the best as it has the highest flash point and will reach the highest temp before it starts to smoke. A good stream of fine bubbles rising from submerged wooden chopstick tips allow me to know when the oil is ready.

Dip your panko-crusted clams into hot oil one at a time. It should bubble up violently upon entry. Pause a few seconds between each dunking as this will later give you some time to retrieve each piece as it's finished. DO NOT OVERLOAD the oil with clams. Three to four pieces TOPS at a time. Placing too many clams at once will abruptly cool your oil and you will end up with tough soggy oil-drenched clams LONG before they even approach golden brown.

Cook til golden brown.... typically 15-20 seconds TOPS, flipping once at the halfway point. No more than 10 seconds a side.... yeah it's THAT fast! If you staggered the entry, it'll give you a few seconds to thoroughly let the oil drain away as each piece exits.

Set each cooked piece on a serving dish lined with several layers of paper towel.

Now here's the single biggest secret I can give you for deep frying at high temps. Strain the excess panko coating/debris out of the oil before frying the next mini-batch of clams. If you do not do this, the excess debris will quickly start to burn with your next batch of clams. I've got a fine mesh strainer and use it like a seine net, scooping repeatedly thru the oil to remove as much of the excess debris as I can before quick-frying the next batch of clams.

Here's our clam feast for the evening... including TryMe TIGER SAUCE for dipping.

Here's the Jr League wishing you all, "Bon appetit!" and a blessed Christmas season!

#26 ·
Thanks for the alternative frying method to the old standard flour/egg/cracker crumbs method. We have switched to frying in olive oil, and though it's more expensive per ounce, I've read that less oil is soaked into the breading, so in the end it's nearly a wash, cost-wise. Taste isn't the same as peanut oil, but they're still great.

Limits were also easy on the SW Washington beaches on Friday night, right about the time lanterns were starting to get fired up. We also bought some ocean crab, and they were absolutely packed solid with meat. I sometimes forget how good it tastes compared to lower Columbia River or bay harvested crab. Same species, but there really is a difference.

#27 ·
What a mouth watering experience you just gave us. WOW You make'n me hungry for some clams. I have some in the freezer, but they are not as good as FRESH. May have to make a trip down to the coast for some freezing good time.:meme:

Reactions: eyeFISH
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.