IFish Fishing Forum banner

My new TUNA boat (pics of transducer added)

6K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  Chase'n Tail 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, "new" is a relative term. Got it in November and have been working on it all winter to get it ready. Had a 22' Seahawk for 6+ years - best boat I ever had, so stuck with NR. Still only has 2 hours on the big motor. It's a 25' Seahawk with all the goodies. Yamaha F250 and 9.9 high thrust, 110 gallon tank, all the fish boxes, Yamaha fuel management, Garmin 4212 with radar and just had the 4 inch hole cut in the bottom and new 1Kw transducer put in last week. Garmin 540 GPS as backup. 3/4 hard top - graphics by Brad Baker - what a great guy to work with! Here's the first batch of pics. Little hard to tell when it's not in direct sunlight, but the boat is a dark shade of orange.... (oh yeah, I'm a Beaver and proud of it :throb:)

See less See more
#11 ·
Re: My new TUNA boat

Nice looking ride Joe,

Do you have a compass?
What is this compass thing you speak of? Sounds interesting. Do they come in orange?

Actually - you can see it in the pic of the bench seat - still in the gunnel in the package awaiting install. On my last boat it was installed too close to some electronics and never worked, so I'm going to move it around the dash a bit during springer season to find a spot for it where it won't be interfered with.

Puget plunker - the top is black, but it has zolatone in it so it has some white "flake" to the finish. My last one had straight car paint on the roof and it got dinged up a bit from idiots whacking it with sinkers and stuff while casting. The zolatone is more chip resistent.

#9 ·

Joe, very nice looking boat and I know you will enjoy it more than the 22footer.

One question, are you a Beaver basketball believer?:flowered::laugh:

#15 ·

Couple of questions for you. Do you know what the boat weighs less trailer? What type of material did they use on the transducer install to hold it in place? That's not a self bailing deck is it?
No idea on the weight - haven't weighed it with the trailer yet. I pull it with a Dodge diesel, but have pulled it back and forth to Portland Marine Electronics with my little F-150 with the 4.7 V-8. feels like 5500 lbs on the trailer, probably 4000 lbs without.

Not a self bailing deck- need to get the offshore model for that and I do too much Columbia River/Multnomah Channel fishing to make an offshore model practical.

They use quick cure 5200 and ask you to let it set up for 5 days before using the boat. I haven't leak checked it yet. The transducer alone is almost $1000.:bigshock:

#14 ·

Joe, as you well know, I'm in the market...on the 1-3 year plan. Thanks for letting me come over and drool on it a little last month.

That seat change sure livens up the interior!! :D

You will have to let me witness how it handles in a moderately sloppy ocean full of tuna. :wink:

#16 ·

Joe, as you well know, I'm in the market...on the 1-3 year plan. Thanks for letting me come over and drool on it a little last month.

That seat change sure livens up the interior!! :D

You will have to let me witness how it handles in a moderately sloppy ocean full of tuna. :wink:
Dave,

I'm guessing you are on the 3-5 year plan when you lose your job and marriage from fishing springers every morning and night since February.:D

#19 ·

Very nice ride, I love your Beaver drag bags.:cheers:

#22 ·

Sweet mother of National Champions Joe!:passout: That thing is SICK!, I bet there's even enough room to hang my/your deer head in there!:D

WHen I hit powerball, I'm going to come gets some more measurements/details from you, until then...:flowered:

If you ever need to fill it with Beavers, I'll wear my ORANGE proud!:)

#25 · (Edited)

I had some requests for pics of the stainless 1Kw transducer. These stainless models are still very hard to find (bronze ones for glass boats are easier). Todd Carver at Portland Marine Electronics got mine for me and he has a waiting list. It's designed for a deep v hull as it's mounted at an angle, yet the beam shoots straight down. It sticks out about 1/4 inch and will slide on rollers or bunks without issue according to Airmar. Here's some pics, 2 from the outside and one from the inside. I'd have installed this myself, but just couldn't cut a 3 3/4 inch hole in the bottom of my own boat.:passout::passout::passout:

#28 ·
I thouhgt Beavers could swim, fresh water mamale, and dont they eat trees, bark or some organic material. I must addmit, DANG nice boat, gives me faith in the black and orange. Their grads sure can put one heck of a boat together....

What is a Beaver going to do with all that Tuna?

Once again very clean boat, well put together.... :)

#32 ·
Todd and Guy from Portland Marine are the best in the business bar none.
I heard from others who installed their TR-1 Gold themselves and had a few issues. He installed mine and I have had zero issues, the best investment I have made because it's hard to steer a kicker with an offshore bracket. :applause:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.