IFish Fishing Forum banner

Advice on a New spinning reel

6K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  dubnvento 
#1 ·
I'm once again looking for some good old advice from you diehard fishers. Just getting back to fishing after many years in the Hum Drum and I'm now in need of a little advice about buying a New Spinning reel. I've always used a Spinning reel and a Center Pin. However, I recently I bought a Daiwa Zillion levelwind. Mainly because I owned one in the mid 50's and hated the hell out of the beast. I vowed never to use one again. Ha! So far, I've very quickly figured out how to use the thing and it doesn't compare to the levelwind that I had in the 50's. Not bad! :) (for some things)
I was really amazed at the technology that's been incorporated in these reels.
I have a Stanton CP and a few old Mitchell Spinner (and I mean old). I would really like to buy a Great New reel. One that is light weight and casts well. Basically, I know almost zip about these new reels now. (Other than the promotional reviews and feedback) Some folks leave reviews for these reels, but I wonder if the reviews aren't from company friends, co-workers or paid off fishers.
Can someone out there please tell me what brand of open faced spinning reels they use on steelies, coho etc. I'm not looking for a whale winch. Just a nice little reel that I can enjoy for a while (on the river)
I use about an 8 - 12 lb. mainline on my (oldies) on 10 and 12 foot rods.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks folks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, there are lots of options out there.
And it also depends on your price range also.

I myself just purchased a Pflueger Supreme, bought one a few years ago and loved it. So picked up another one today for one of my newly built spinning rod.

Shimano makes great spinnng reels also, and you can't beat the reliabilty of a Shimano.

Bottom line, is price. For the price point I was stuck on the Pflueger Supreme. Best reel for the money. IMO

#3 ·
Thanks, and at 149 + a spare spool sounds quite good. The 2nd. spool does come in handy. If I can get a few good years out of a new reel, I'll be happy. Did you get the 9230 or the 9335?
I see that Shimano's prices are well up there and with no spare spool. I'm not quite prepared to pay 300+ for a reel with no spare spool. At my age I don't think that I want to become a gear junkie.

#4 ·
I was checking into this last fall. I had a Shimano but wanted to try out a lower priced reel since I had to buy 3 of them. For whatever reason I didn't buy Pflueger, not sure why I didn't, they came highly recommended on here. I did buy one Abu Garcia spinning reel. It casts fine, it's a spinning reel, it better. But the drag doesn't seem quite right. So now I'm back in the market for new reels again. LOL

#9 ·
I fish Shimano Reels, they seem to last forever. As stated above, I would stick with the 3000 size for steelhead. It is the same size as the 2500, but the spool is deeper. If you're going to be using 10 pound line, the 3000 will hold 140 yards.

I wouldn't go lower than the Symetre at $99. Even better is the Saros at $129 with a spare spool. And if you have the cash, check out the Stradics. $179 for the standard Stradic and $219 for the Ci4, which is about 2 ounces lighter. (The Ci4 only comes with 1 spool though)

I've been using my Saros 3000's for 3 years now without any issues. Just my :twocents:

#11 ·
Shimano all the way. Symetre is a workhorse at a fair price, Stradic if you really want to spoil yourself. I prefer the FJ Stradic over the Ci4, especially since you are using it with a longer rod - you don't want the reel to be so lightweight that it does not balance the rod. Get the 3000 size since you are using heavier line - 2500 is a good size for 8 lb test but for 10-12 you need the capacity of a 3000.

#15 ·
A lot of the 2012 Pflueger reels don't come with the spare spool anymore, but they are still a great reel for the money. I just picked up a Daiwa Aird at the Sportsmans Show. $70.00 and it comes with an oversized spare spool. I love it so far.

#16 ·
No matter what brand you choose make sure when you spin the reel handle backward, make sure it doesn't move. Meaning the top portion of the spinning reel is engaged 100% of the time. Drift fishing with one hand and setting the hook will eventually damange that little tiny pin/groove/notch most mfg use as stopper.

After investing hundreds on higher end reels only to break that "thing" I found Okuma for half the price (even got 2nd spool). When it breaks it will be just fine because I didn't invest that much $70 I believe. Others have mentioned that Okuma stands behind their equipment. I have not had the chance to use their warrenty yet and the reel is 6 years old. Been to Alaska during heaving day of Chinook and worked great landing coho and steelhead. I did add grease last year but didn't look like it was necessary. BTW don't submerge your reel in water.

My only gripe with these new spinning reels is the drag is on the top of the spool. I sure enjoyed fighting a fish and turning the drag in the behind. :)

#17 ·
No one said Sedona but it is only about 60 dollars has second spool and has pretty much all the same al the other reels costing over 100. Personally i've been using that reel for over 9 years and i'm only 20 so imagine what hell its been through. i use the 2000 and never have any problems and i run 8# or 20# braid which =6# and never been spooled or close to it. if you feel the need for a bigger reel go with the 3000:twocents:

#18 ·
I've used a Stradic for about 7 years now with no problems. Spendy, but worth, imo.

If you want to do your own research, you can look at the spring addition of the catalogs for the two big fishing/hunting mail order/online supply stores....you know who they are. Between the two of them, they will give you all the information you need to compare the different models.
Retrieve ratio. Get a fast one for steelhead.
Weight of reel. As noted, get one that balances your rod.
Instant antireverse. To me, this is a must for steelies.
Price. As noted above, with all it costs to get there, I don't cut corners on gear.
Capacity. How much line you need varies with how you plan to use your reel. (Side drifter for a boat doesn't need as much capacity as a bankie rod on a big river.)

Extra spool has never been a big deal to me, as I've always had one, but never used it.

Nobody mentioned them, but Penn makes a pretty good spinning reel, too.

:twocents:

#19 ·
Not exactly a high end reel, but I have been fishing the U.S. Reels SX series lately love the oversized spools on em, can cast a mile(ok not realy a mile, but they do reach out there) fast retreive and with the wide spool comes a larger than average drag. They come with a spare spool as well. Only problem I have had so far is with the extra wide spool on my smaller model fishing 15#braid sometimes the bail will flip the line across the top of the spool, then I end up wraping line around the drag dial if I'm not paying attention, but if I stay on top of my game it's not a big problem. Other than that I haven't had any other problems and enjoy fishing them. Have caught many steelies on my 180, and a few TUNA with the 240. Thinking about stepping up to the XL series, but realy want to pick up the Okuma Cedros bait runners and give them a try for TUNA this summer.

#25 ·
Shimano Sedona 3000 or Mitchell 2500. Reasonably priced and after you start catching you can upgrade. Spend your money on a okuma SSt rod and some high quality line. suggest loading with 20 lb braid first then finish spooling.with 15 lb berkley flouro . 50 / 50 ratio gets max yardage. Unless.it's wide open , you only cast the fc. The braid comes into play when you get a fish on.

#27 ·
I guess I am going to be different. I have had nothing but trouble with all of the shimano reels recently, The, dual handled spider, sienna, and the orange one that also starts with an S can't remember the name. I had issues with all of them within the first few trips. Which has caused me alot of heart ache because my favorite up to that point had been a sedona, had it for years without problems....I have in the past had some cheap Okuma AVENGERS, and while they worked great for a few seasons they were throw away reels, meaning they were designed to be non-serviceable.

While at Bi-Mart I noticed the Okuma Trio 30s, it had the smoothest bail return I had ever felt, unbendable wire bale, and it was very reasonably priced. I figured well if Okuma can make a decent throw away reel maybe something a little more expensive would be worth looking at. I bought one, and have been enjoying it trouble free all season. I highly recommend you check them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.