IFish Fishing Forum banner

2013 salmon report thread for Newport

97K views 299 replies 114 participants last post by  kfbigdog 
#1 ·
Sometimes it's helpful to have a thread that gets reports, both *** and neg, so we can keep up with some of what is happening to the fishing. So this is to give brief reports, not to replace the trip reports we all like to read. Walter gave us a start with his spring break salmon thread and many of us fished spring break week!

If you read the posts on this thread and go salmon fishing out of Newport, please report to keep the info coming and current, that will help all of us.

The last week of March there were salmon south of the jetties, some concentration just south of Seal Rock. April 2 and 3, Tues and Wed, they weren't there in the same concentration and those that were there didn't bite for us. We spent 8 hours trolling on Tues, 4/2, for one long line release, not even any drive-bys. Wed, 4/3, we trolled for 3 hours from before dawn, then went' bottomfishing. About 1 pm or so we heard of a bit down off the Alsea, ran down there at 30 knots - the ocean was flat - and managed to lose one at the boat and put one in the box, then the bite died.

One hit a Brad's cut plug lure and one a coyote spoon. Both of those and hootchies were what we caught fish on the last week of March.

This is shaping up to be a decent chinook season, I hope it stays good all season.
ron m

See less See more
#73 ·
Fished Sunday with no luck. Trolled the 120' line down by Waldport and then saw a group of trollers out deeper and went and joined them. We did not see any action at all. The trollers were working the 150' line very hard.

We tryed in front of Seal Rock for a few mintes after watching a chinook jump 3 or 4 times next to the boat.

#78 ·
We(2 of us) kinda sorta tried last Thurs. We trolled, not true salmon trolling, but a herring down 10 to 20 ft off the bottom. No salmon hits.

If we do that this opener, we'll have 3 or 4 on board and will have a couple of rods doing truly salmon trolling.

There should be some good salmon water out there, temp at 46050 is 55 F, the last good terrafin shot (10 days old now) show some plankton out there, well, it showed chlorophyll, but that means plankton too and hopefully some bait.
ron m

#79 ·
After halibut fishing, we hit two fish last thursday at 65 and 75 pulls on a big delta diver, the one on bait did not stick, the spoon did and we brought home about a 9 or 10 pound nook. Just SW of the rockpile. Lots of commercial trollers working that area pretty hard.

#89 ·
We went out on the 18th, started trolling herring on 1 rod and a spoon on the other. We headed West until we were in 180 ft of water and slowly worked our way back to shore until we had a take down in 120 ft of water. Started marking lots of fish and concentrated on an area between 115-120 ft. deep. Finally hooked up and got it all the way to the swim platform (net just touched the water) and the fish went bye bye. It was a beauty but it was getting to rough for my boat so we decided to head in. It hit a Herring with a flasher and diver. On a side note, I thought that was your boat Ron, I was next to you guys at the Pile opening day for Hali. I have the Maroon Northwest Jet.

#90 ·
I really wish I had a good report, but ......

After fishing for inshore halibut today for over 4 hours with no success, we beat our way south to Seal Rock and trolled spoons back to Newport - with the wind. Fished fairly shallow, 60 to 100 ft, no salmon hits.

Fri afternoon I checked with my usual fishing info sources, they had not heard of any salmon for quite a while and even the commercial trollers were in port most of this week.

When we got in about 1500 hrs, the fish checker said she had not seen any halibut or salmon today or for several days.

Hopefully the ocean will settle down and we'll be able to find the salmon again.
ron m

#92 ·
Trolled for salmon today for a few hours, started off the Alsea, trolled north. After a while, picked up and ran, tried again. still nada. Then Jeff saw birds about a mile ahead, picked up and ran there, a small very tight bait ball was being worked by porpoises and birds, but we still didn't get any salmon bites. Trolled a coyote and a commercial style spoon, not hits for probably 2 plus hours of trolling. Beautiful day today, very pleasant. Warm, not too much wind. We did the salmon trolling after fishing fo halibut. Trolled in depths from 120 ft to 140 ft.
ron m

#94 ·
I trolled thru a few halibut fishermen in 200' fow on a flat ocean today for a couple hrs today for 4 bites, 2 of which at the same time and both fish hit the side of the boat at the same time so i netted the bigger one then the little 10# spit the hooks but a nice 17# hit the box. A few sea bass and limits of lings on the way in made for a perfect day

#99 ·
Fished for 2 hours today off the Siletz after getting our lings and bass. Put one 12# nook in the boat, and had 2 more strikes that popped the clip. 60 ft on the wire, 18 fathom.

#100 ·
Mike,
Good to hear the report.
Care to share what the choice of gear was that worked for you?
How was the ocean?

Looks like we might of missed a good weekend.
On the other hand we have fished just about every weekend, and this not being an all depth weekend, we decided to rest.....next weekend though there should be a serious bloodshed hopefully.

#103 ·
I fished out of Depoe today with some great new ifishers. Bottom fished til 9, it was slow but picked up a few then headed out to 200' fow and dropped herring down from 50-150 on the counters. Gave it 5 hrs and were rewarded with 3 chinook in the box for 3 bites. Came back in close to pick up a few more lings and ended up with 10. The big cooler was full of nooks and lings so a good day on a perfect ocean!

#104 ·
Dude!
You are killing me...
Start your own Depoe Bay salmon thread. This thread is for newport.

Just messing with you of course.
Our last trip I noticed the rockfish bite was off, and not like off the hook.
But we somehow ran out of pipe jigs and had no shrimp to tip the shrimp flies with. On another subject most of what little we caught in bottomfish where choking on baby crab so that might have something to do with it.

It is a gruesome but totally natural sight to pull up a big cabby or other bottom dweller and have them be stuffed with tiny fingernail sized crab, like a good 2 dozen of them. I mean these guys where just born, and already the food chain is busy digesting them.

We shall try for a quadfecta this coming weekend. Halibacore, topped with some sammys, and maybe even some bottom dwellers if the ocean allows us to fish.

Good job Bobber Down Man.
Pretty soon you will have to change your moniker to something more...SALTY like.

ps. Any size to the nookies?

#105 ·
I would start a Depoe thread but I'd be talking to myself since, according to the fish checker there, i'm the only boat targeting them! Even the state troopers who checked us yesterday out of a zodiac deployed over the side of a large boat said we had the only rec salmon from the Columbia to Newport in 2 days of checking. It was a pretty cool sight once we realized it wasn't pirates trying to hijack us lol. The nooks yesterday were 10# 12# and a dink. I've landed salmon out there every week since early April except one skunk and the biggest is 18# but someone in the boat crackered off a 25+ 2 wks ago. The big surprise yesterday was the water temp was 59 deg in 210 fow at noon

#107 ·
We headed south for salmon after halibut fishing yesterday. Water was 58.5 degrees and green. We hooked and released two coho, one fin clipped, had one drive-by for about three and half hours of trolling. No chinook, but coho are showing up for the July opener. They were small in size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.