IFish Fishing Forum banner

Canvas wall tent maintenance

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Silver Eagle 
#1 ·
A lot of us have wall tents. I try to repair all new damage every winter at the final drying of season. Seal any new burn holes, Sew any tears. Today i took the tent out and set it up in the yard in an area of gravel. Applying ACE hardware solvent based seal tech waterproofing. I'm completely sealing the tent. This is something i try to do every 5 years or so. It helps with drying time after a hunt and preserves the canvas from mold/mildew. Along with waterproofing the canvas somewhat. When i bought my tent it had mildew staining, The sealer has stopped its spread. My tent is a 12' 14' with 5' sidewalls. I had 6.5 gallons of sealer to start the project, I hope to finish the job with this ammount. But it will be close.

#2 ·
Alot of people don't realize that canvas tents require maintenance, and when she starts leaking they just throw a tarp over it, every year I set my tent up before season to repair any holes and make sure there's no surprises, and every 3yrs I treat it with Canvak canvas preservative.

#12 ·
Ace hardware carries a contact cement called PlioBond, stuff work awesome, hold tight and stay flexible, I bought some canvas hat matches my tent and I cut patches out of it.

I clean the surface with a little wire brush, then I apply PlioBond to the tent and the patch. I always have used round patches but have seen and heard good things about triangle patches, put the patch on with the point up so it sheds water better.

#11 ·
Small burn holes take some tape and cover the inside then just use some good caulking. like big stretch. once it cures remove tape. On larger tears a light canvas patch put in over snowseal with another coat over the patch works. Shoegoo works also and they make a cloth glue product. Sewing larger tears with a caulk or shoegoo seal works. What i'm using for thread is 30lb spiderwire fusion and a carpet needle

#13 ·
I always tarp over my 16 X 20 tent with a cutout around the chimney. Few small spark holes in the tarp but not the tent. The tarp holds in the heat and keeps out moisture and dirt. I buy my tarps from the outfit in Springfield that sells the frame joints and such.
Just my :twocents:,
Mike

#15 ·
Been doing too much fishing, glad you Posted this need to get my 16 by 20 out and seal it agailn, I need to start using my Blue Tarps on it in the Snow, when we broke camp last year I had 24 inch Ice sicals from the sides. I use the Ace sealent also and it works good......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.