IFish Fishing Forum banner

How I tie yarnies

13K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  GLA 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
I know everyone has there own method for tying yarnies and most have seen all the methods before. This is for a newbie to learn like how I did, or a refresher for the seasoned veteran. Any criticism is welcomed to help me improve also. Each one takes me about 30 seconds to a minute to tie
I hope the pics upload in the right orderšŸ˜‰

1: I like to start with 3-5 strands of yarn cut into 3/4 inch long pieces.
2: wrap strands together in the middle with stretchy thread about 8 wraps
3: hold tied strands between thumb and forefinger on the stretchy thread using your thumbnail as a guide to trim yarn. Flip yarn over and repeat with other side.
4: trim as needed doesn't need to be perfect. I feel a little loose yarn gives more action.
Thread on leader with a sewing needle, or slide up the hook I bring about 10 colors pre tied on leaders then carry backups in a small box. I fish these with eggs, prawns, scent, or plain but with steelhead I think presentation is more important.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 Ā·
Cut your yarn into 9" strips. I use six instead of 3. Wrap in the same way you're doing, only repeat the process about every 1/2" or so. Now cut the yarn in between where you've wrapped. Roll the individual yarnies around in between your hands. Basically the same theory, only you make more yarnies with less waste in less time.

#10 Ā·
Yes!... I like to use the standard bait loop. But when I start the loop, I run the end back through the eye before I start my wraps. You can use this loop for your yarn ball, and put a little piece of bait in the egg loop. That's the way I do it. I thread a few before I go, and some while I'm on the river.

#9 Ā·
He could probably make two yarnies with one package of yarn! Yikes!! What a waste. I sometimes just tie glo bugs on my vise, but when I want to fish bait as well I will just put the yarn in the loop and trim into a ball. The problem I have with making them seperate with magic thread is once you cinch the egg loop down the round ball becomes half flat.

#13 Ā·
I just started tying yarnies and I want to thank everyone for all of the good info. One thing that i started doing was grabbing a handful of mixing straws (not the regular straight drinking type straws, but the kind that have 2 really small holes) every time i went to the gas station and bought a coffee. I cut those in half (so you only have on side worth of small holes) and put that in the middle of my yarn. I tied them up just like you guys are saying, and they work great. I don't know if it is worth the extra step, but it makes it easy to thread and change yarnies as i see fit. It also frees up my bait loop. I tried tying some on the bigger straight coffee-mixing straws, and they work good too, and they also allow the yarnie to fall over the shank of the hook if you want to hide the hook. just my :twocents:. thanks again for the help getting going

#15 Ā·
I use the method you showed and keep the extras in an old lure box. I keep a larg sewing needle in a another old lure box and tie my leaders and put them on when needed. That way I can change color and size as needed for water conditions that day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.