IFish Fishing Forum banner

Elk caliber for youth

22K views 44 replies 36 participants last post by  wildthing 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide on the best caliber center fire for my 12 year old daughter who has a youth cow hunt this year. The caliber's I am considering are 25-06, 250 roberts, 6mm, or 308 Norma mag or 300 Savage. Her hunters safety instructor suggested a .243 but I concerned about that rifle not being large enough for a totally ethical kill. Trying to find a balance between a rifle that wont knock the hell out her, and one that will provide an ethical kill. And before you tell me, I already know, shot placement,shot placement, shot placement.

#2 ·
I bought a .270 for myself but I'm thinking that if my 12 year old and I go elk hunting I'll let her use it and I'll shoot my 30.06 The .270 that I got doesn't seem to kick too bad and I think she would do just fine with it. She's using a .243 for deer.

#3 ·
In general, the ODFW is going to err on the side of an ethical kill in setting minimum calibers. They likely already have a built-in margin of error so I don't feel that you need to do it again to be "Uber-ethical"

I bought a NEF youth in .243 for my 12 year old Daughter (2 years ago). Nice thing about the NEFs is that you can get other barrels for them. She will be hunting this weekend with the .223 barrel. This allows her to practice with a lighter caliber. (We also have a .410 barrel for it.)

I bought the ultra-light youth model which was a mistake. The recoil from the .243 in a 6-1/4# rifle is brisk. You don't want to have her be afraid of the gun so consider recoil. Here is a recoil calculator you should use before choosing a gun or caliber.

#5 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback. Isnt the NEF a singleshot? I like that idea alot(pack the rifle unloaded), and was considering the Thompson centerfire for the same reasons you mentioned. Also she is left eye dominant, so buying a gun with no action allows for right or left hand shooting.

If you dont mind me asking where did you pick up the NEF and approx how much did they get you for?

#7 ·
There are yout model guns available in decent calibers suitable for klling an elk..
While I don't think you have to go big for elk, I would want the most energy available within reason and comfort for any child taking their first animal. I have heard too many stories about bad shots on first animals.

#11 ·
Yes they are a single shot. The lever to open the action is on the right but is easily accessable for lefties and the hammer extension can be installed on either side. Take a look at these
They have a barrel accessory program to have your gun fitted for other calibers. You send in your receiver minus the barrel and they will have it back in a bout 2 or 3 weeks with the new barrels. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I purchased a .223 and a .410 shot barrel for fun. the only differance in the youth model is that the stock is 2-1/2" shorter. Stay away for the ultra-light option on elk calibers. My Daughter is 14 now and the youth stock will be too small for her next year. I need to try to find a standard stock for it.

#13 ·
Get a 30.06 or .308 and then have someone load down about 100 bullets shooting the 165gr at like 2300-2400ft/sec.

Then she has one of the best catridges available for any type of hunting she would ever want to do as she matures.

My wife is small (5'2") and she shoots a BAR chambered in .270 with a 140gr that I loaded down to 2400ft/sec for deer with about the same recoil as my bull barrel .223

I believe a .243 with a good shot would do awful destructive things to any animal even an elk.

#16 ·
I need to try to find a standard stock for it.
PM sent with info on NEF and H&R stock replacements.

William
Thank you. After I made this post I discovered that (stock) stocks are available for under $40 under the barrel accessory program. Thanks for the link, looks like most of their stocks are better than I need.

#19 ·
I bought a Marlin .30-.30 for my son. It's fairly heavy gun and a light recoil. I added a recoil pad and cut down the stock to fit him a little better. I did not want him reaching out over 100yds his first year anyway, so the 30-30 fit the bill. I thought the recoil on the youth .308's might be a bit much.

#21 ·
And before you tell me, I already know, shot placement,shot placement, shot placement.
Yep. I would also add, bullet selection, bullet selection, bullet selection. The calibers you're considering are often loaded with deer type bullets, such as ballistic tips, that would not be good for elk. Make sure you use an elk bullet, choose your shots carefully, and any of the calibers discussed will do the job.

Ni!

#22 ·
I'd probably get her something like a 270. You can sight the gun in with normal loads....then let her practice a few times with the reduced (managed) recoil loads, but put regular loads in while she hunts. You should be able to do this (different loads) without her knowledge. I'm sure that it would be a more tramatic experience for her to wound an animal and watch it suffer rather than getting a little more kick from the gun. I really think that a gun like a 243 is a poor idea for an elk for an inexperienced hunter...this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

#23 ·
My recollection of shooting a gun at age 12, prior to actually shooting at an animal was this! I shot a 30-30 at a target and got hurt. Shooting at an animal, I didn't hear the shot, I didn't feel the recoil. I was so focused on the the shot, that nothing else mattered. Point being, get 'em to put it where they should know where the shot is placed, and the shot should produce! I've never recalled any reaction physically, to actually shooting an animal, that I remember, except for my 7 mag muzzle report on a deer at 20 feet. Ouch, that hurt my ears! The deer was hurt much more than that. :tongue: Shooting standing offhand is much less painful than off a bench. And to boot, it should be practiced, as that is what would simulate a hunting situation in most cases! :twocents:

#26 ·
308. My 16 year oldd has killed three with his. Good bullet in the 150 gr class equals dead elk. He has killed two and 150 yds and one at 300. man it just did not look that far, but he killed it with one round through the lungs. Clean through. Not much kick. Nothing will ruin a kid faster than recoil.

Duckwheat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.