IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best low budget spinning reel

38K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  frogwaterkid 
#1 Ā·
What is the best bang for buck small spinning reel? I like to use it for koke/trout type fishing 6-8lb line. I don't mind spending the extra $ for something that will last either. I really like shimano but $100-150 for a trout reel don't make too much sense either.

Also, where is the best place to buy online? The local stores around Seattle here don't have much selection now that Joe's is gone. I used to buy 90% of my stuff from that place.

#3 Ā·
Shimano IX2000. They're about $15-20 at Fred Meyer, Wal Mart, or Bi Mart. 4.1:1 retrieve, trigger-fire casting system, rear drag adjustment, graphite body. It's just about all I use on my ultra-light outfits.

I use some of the more expensive shimano spin reels on my medium spin rods for steelies/large trout/bass.

For the small, light weight outfits though the inexpensive shimano is what I use most of. I've never, ever had an issue with them, and the oldest one I've got is 20 years old and still ticking, still catching fish. Hard to find a better value.

#18 Ā·
Not to offend anyone else, but cheap Shimano's are better than cheap Okuma's... Okuma has some nice reels if you pay for them, but their cheaper models are garbagio. :twocents:

Ive pretty much ahd the same experience with the Avengers as BTWB. Ive put loads of fish on the bank with the Avengers I have.Used a couple for about 5 years now.Couldnt count how many stealhead,and big silvers ive landed with nary a problem.Not to mention a several nookies.

I would take an Avenger over a a cheap shimano any day.They are at least as good a reel as the Symetre.And yes Ive had a few of those too.But they were well over double the $

#15 Ā·
I've caught hundreds of coho and chinook on my little $25 Okuma Avengers for many years now including a 23# coho.
Never had one break and the drag system is superb.
I've worn out a couple of them to where they grind a bit but when you catch literally hundreds of big salmonids on those little AV-30's they ain't gonna last forever.

#16 Ā·
What is the best bang for buck small spinning reel? I like to use it for koke/trout type fishing 6-8lb line. I don't mind spending the extra $ for something that will last either. I really like shimano but $100-150 for a trout reel don't make too much sense either.

Also, where is the best place to buy online? The local stores around Seattle here don't have much selection now that Joe's is gone. I used to buy 90% of my stuff from that place.
I always go cheap for trout. I have a small 4-8lb shakespeare something or other, and it was about $22.00. It is smooth and no problems with it in over a year.:twocents:

#25 Ā·
Another vote for the Okuma Avengers. I've got a few of them on my trout rods. You don't need anything more than the Okuma on a trout rod.

I've caught hundreds of 5+ lb trout at Rufus Woods. The biggest are a couple at 11lbs.

If the Avenger will hold up fine to those fish,they hold up fine to what most guys call a trout.

#28 Ā·
Shimano Sedona about $40-50
Shimano Sienna about $30
Anything made by Okuma will not last as long as a comparable Shimano. If you want to buy an Okuma go and get a Harbor Freight tools brand reel. Imported from China and essentially the same as Okuma. I have a couple that I left at my wifes family lake huose in Washington so I wouldn't have to bring rods when I went up there. I think that I spent like $12 on them.

#29 Ā·
Some pretty generic statements about reel brands here from "all junk" to "all great". Penn doesn't try and compare their Captiva reels against their Internations, not sure we should make similar assumptions. :twocents:

Oh yeah, ifish4king, not Ford, not Chevy, but Dodge..... :D

#32 Ā·
I bought a lightweight Sedona for my ultralight G-Loomis rod.

I love the Sedona and it was only like 45 bones on sale. The thing is the best reel Ive ever owned. But my experience is limited to mostly Shakespeare stuff, but this thing feels so solid, smooth, and the drag system is great. Its worth every penny, and its all I need on my ultralight spinning setup.

I have to say Ive caught more fish on my 4 foot ugly stick ultralight setup, that I paid 25 bucks for at Walmart, however Ive used it more, and it fits in my car. My G-Loomis rod is 6 feet long and isnt a 2 piecer so it doesnt fit in my car all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.