IFish Fishing Forum banner

What is the ugliest fish you have ever caught?

44K views 88 replies 67 participants last post by  CRR 
#1 Ā·
Mine was a Salmon Grouper caught in South East Alaska when I took my Grandfather on a Charter boat out of Sitka. Great trip but what an ugly fish!!!!!!!
Sorry I did not get any pictures of it :shrug:

#21 Ā·
Hello Hank - I know that lure! It's been way too long since I was in Sitka - is Tacky-Tackle still in business? Ray and Ed were a couple of real characters. Ken

#11 Ā·
A 98lb. Deep-Sea Anglerfish, caught off Montauk, NY. it's teeth looked like those of a 100 yr. old *******, and it was so flabby that the folds oozed between the planks on the dock. It also had three ducks in its stomach. Having said all that, the meat from the tail made a great chowder!

#14 Ā·
I was with my sister and now bro-in-law trout fishing on willamina ck, she hooked up with what we thought was gonna be the big one of the day. She fought it a while then it walked out of the water, 18" fresh water salamander, thick flat tail and big broccoli looking gills on each side of its head. No one wanted to take the hook out, we cut the line and he casually walked back in to the hole. Not a fish but if you see one you will agree that is ugly!:twocents:

#19 Ā·
Lion Fish caught down south o' da border.... butt ugly thing that I was told was "peligro" or something like that... so was the jetty we were on... again "peligro."

It is amazing how easy it is to enforce rules and laws when the police are packing assault rifles and bad attitudes. Dean and I exited the jetty lickity split! :whistle:

Krue

#20 Ā·
Had some time to do nothing, so when when we went out for radio checks on the delta ( really to drink, and forget ) I would put a line out, caught I don't know what it was, and no one elas did either, but this thing was about 10 pounds, was not a carp, but smelled like a Tulley, as I remember, fought like a champ.
All the guys ribbed me over that one, they always asked, what did you do back in the states, all I could say is fish.
This was where the (sp) "O heck I for got, river that flowed into the delta in Vietnam. Brown water sailor.

#23 Ā·

This poor little guy on the Deschutes last year while fly fishing at dusk. With his wings folded in he wasn't much bigger than a walnut. Luckily for me he was just tangled in the line. Unfortunately he went for a couple of false-casts before I realized what was going on. I was using a super fast 8wt, and these guys are much lighter and fragile than I expected.

#26 Ā·
Caught a wolf eel on the jetty near Lyster's a long time ago. Treid to unhook it but was only successful with the knife cutting the line. Also, and this was many years ago, fishing for Atlantic Cod off of a dock in Newfoundlland, I hooked a fish that is still got me wondering what it was. All I know it was Ugly with a capital U. It was about 3 feet long, had mottled geen spots, buggy eyes, and a set of choppers that would do some serious damage. The knife came out there too and it swam away like nothng had happened.

#27 Ā·
Caught a wolf eel on the jetty near Lyster's a long time ago. Treid to unhook it but was only successful with the knife cutting the line. Also, and this was many years ago, fishing for Atlantic Cod off of a dock in Newfoundlland, I hooked a fish that is still got me wondering what it was. All I know it was Ugly with a capital U. It was about 3 feet long, had mottled geen spots, buggy eyes, and a set of choppers that would do some serious damage. The knife came out there too and it swam away like nothng had happened.

That sounds like an Angler Fish - did it have an antenae that had a dangly little fleshy thing on the tip, jutting out from his forehead?

#29 Ā·
Hey mkwerx-
Many moons have passed since I was in Newfoundland and I don't remember the antenae. I caught it in about 40 feet of water throwing a spinner with a bait fish that is the North Atlantic's answer to California's grunion. Looking at pictures of anglerfish didn't seem to match the body shape I remember. But then again, this was back in the 1960's and my feeble mind may not remember things in great detail. All I know is that it was about 30 degrees, windy, the cod were in the harbor and biting, and whatever that ugly fish was, I did not want any part of.

#30 Ā·

YES, this is a fish. I had one of these "catch" me when I was stationed in Louisiana. A 2' long alligator gar bit into my calf. I'll count my blessings, they can get up to 8' long and can lay waste to whatever they bite into, for sure.

Attachments

#31 Ā·

This one said "Dam!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.