IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bull sharks at Bonniville dam?

51K views 55 replies 45 participants last post by  Coastalhounddog 
#1 ·
Heard from some guy yesterday that claims he works at the dam that said they have had 3 confermed bull sharks at the dam. I find this hard to believe due to the water temps being so low. anyone ever heard of bulls in the Columbia?

#7 · (Edited)
That's why they have caught them on the mississippi all the way north in Illinois? One thing about bull sharks, if the water is warm and there is food they will be there. Unless the Columbia is flowing really warm and we have sightings up and down the coast in the shallows I would believe it. But there are several types of sharks that are similar to bulls that like cold water I would suspect first.

As for the other freshwater sharks, do they have to be a regular fresh water type shark? When was the last flounder caught up there? It probably came with a tide.

#17 ·
When i fished at Westport last year we ate breakfast at some little hole in the wall joint and they had a picture of a HUGE Great White shark that was caught in the bay years ago... it was for sure not a seven gill, the people working there had the whole story and there was a newspaper article on the wall with the pic. pretty crazy stuff given the size of that beast.

#12 ·
Quote from Wikipedia:

"In the Pacific Ocean, it can be found from Baja California to Ecuador. The shark has traveled 4,000 kilometres (2,500 mi) up the Amazon River to Iquitos in Peru.[11] It also lives in fresh water Lake Nicaragua, in the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers of West Bengal and Assam in eastern India and adjoining Bangladesh. It can live in water with a high salt content as in St. Lucia Estuary in South Africa. The bull shark is generally prolific in the warm coastal waters and estuarine systems of the Mozambique Channel and southward, including Kwa-Zulu Natal and Mozambique. The species has a distinct preference for warm currents."

As said above, bull sharks like warm water, and are not know as visitors to California waters, much less ours.

#20 ·
Pretty hard to swallow that one.

I have heard the Bull Shark kills more humans than any other. Simply because they live in fresh water and are common in third world countries where people tend to live closely around water. South America, Indo China, India etc.

Kind of wish it was true. They would prob make lunch out of Sea Lions! Could be tough on water skiers though.

#29 ·
maybe that guy from river monsters will come down here and try and catch one. but heck who knows. next will have tuna at bouy 10.lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.