IFish Fishing Forum banner

Buoy 10 guide?

10K views 36 replies 34 participants last post by  Seefood Man 
#1 Ā·
I'm getting married next month, and while the family is out I thought I'd kill two birds..eh, salmon with one stone by booking a guided buoy 10 trip so the out-of-towners can get some real NW experience in, while I can learn the ins and outs of this fishery before taking my own boat on that big water.

First off, I'd like someone who's not going to drop the "N" bomb in the middle of the trip like the last guide I hired. Second, I want to LEARN...not just bring home fish. I already have gear, a boat, and fish the Portland area Columbia so I'd really like a guide that is going to be liberal with the tips/info, etc. I'd also like to keep eggs from any hens caught.

Any suggestions? The date I'm looking for is either 8/16 or 8/17.

#4 Ā·
ifish has a list of sponsor guides, Fishermans, another ifish sponsor, has a long list of "Pro-Staff" guides. All of their phone numbers are listed. You had better get busy with the phone calls. It's getting late and you do have a lot of conditions you want to talk about. Not sure what an "N" bomb is but good luck with it.

#5 Ā·
I'm getting married next month, and while the family is out I thought I'd kill two birds..eh, salmon with one stone by booking a guided buoy 10 trip so the out-of-towners can get some real NW experience in, while I can learn the ins and outs of this fishery before taking my own boat on that big water.

First off, I'd like someone who's not going to drop the "N" bomb in the middle of the trip like the last guide I hired. Second, I want to LEARN...not just bring home fish. I already have gear, a boat, and fish the Portland area Columbia so I'd really like a guide that is going to be liberal with the tips/info, etc. I'd also like to keep eggs from any hens caught.

Any suggestions? The date I'm looking for is either 8/16 or 8/17.
Paulages,
Congratulations and cheers to your upcoming marriage! You are a lucky man for your wife is allowing you to spend time in Astoria during the best time of year.

I think that you may have some high expectations for a single trip. One of the guides that I go with is pretty awesome about all of the things that are on your list and then some... but I've been going with him for the past three years on probably a dozen or so trips (just guessing). The guide/client relationship can should be reciprical, mutually benefitial, and equally enriching. This usually doesn't occur with just a single trip.

There are a lot of great guides that can catch fish, and that is their primary job (having a great time should be a given). But tempering your expectations, especially during the peak of Buoy 10 season, might go a long way with what you hope to glean from future trips.

I would make a suggestion, but most of all the guides that I know of have been completely booked since the beginning of July. Good Luck!

#19 Ā·
Take advantage of this one! Grant is a blast to fish with.

#18 Ā·
Darren Hoberg, he may very well be booked solid these days.

However I do know he has some openings left for the remainder of the season, he limited the boat every day last season for kings. From an onlookers perspective, Darren has got this fishery dialed!!! Check him out :twocents:

#26 Ā·
Below the radar, local guy, availability (lives in Astoria, family members are commercial and sport fishermen, fished there his whole life, just started guiding last year):

Dave Hessel
Pelican Guide Service

This is his place. Has web page I believe, probably can google it. I fished with Dave and his dad recently with my son for sturgeon while it was still open: Twice we had doulbes with sturgeon. Big fish down there, half hooked were oversize, son kept one just below max size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.