IFish Fishing Forum banner

Cougar catches elk...

3K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  elkgunner 
#1 · (Edited)
Old video, but haven't seen it posted here before...this elk gets THUMPED!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwUfP9RkRs8&feature=related

Not sure any of us would stand a chance in the elks position...:eek::passout:Some of this video I'm sure is a "Marty Stouffer" setup, but you can't fake the hit the cougar puts on the elk!

#10 ·
Just saying......If it's real...it's cool. Just like clockwork on here though there are always the naysayers so I'll go first not because I want to be raining on anybodies parade, but if you really slo-mo this video does anyone else wonder if it's legit.....almost looked like they had a stuffed elk stand-in and what about the lack of flailing around on the ground......this is probably a Marty Stouffer deal like commented. Very likely a stage deal in an enclosure with a semi tame cougar etc..... In order to have the players, the lighting, the camera set up, etc....etc.....is a pretty tall order and we all know how Marty did it before. How many cougars do you see in decades and you have your camera set up on a tripod on an elk and track the cat all the way to the elk.....etc....etc.....? Please don't get upset that I question it. Just saying.......

#12 ·
Just saying......If it's real...it's cool. Just like clockwork on here though there are always the naysayers so I'll go first not because I want to be raining on anybodies parade, but if you really slo-mo this video does anyone else wonder if it's legit.....almost looked like they had a stuffed elk stand-in and what about the lack of flailing around on the ground......this is probably a Marty Stouffer deal like commented. Very likely a stage deal in an enclosure with a semi tame cougar etc..... In order to have the players, the lighting, the camera set up, etc....etc.....is a pretty tall order and we all know how Marty did it before. How many cougars do you see in decades and you have your camera set up on a tripod on an elk and track the cat all the way to the elk.....etc....etc.....? Please don't get upset that I question it. Just saying.......
I think the elk was alive (before the couger got it). Watch it again, and see how the elk's reflexes make it jump backward against the couger's onslaught. Very cool. Wish I were so stealthy. Maybe someday....or not.

#11 ·
Wow that bull was a pansy, if I had a huge rack like that, I woulda charged him, gored it, and saved my ladies... :D[/QUOTE]

no joke lol, If i had that rack i would of had him pinned to the ground and smashing the heck out of him! probably not but i like to imagine it that way ha ha :D

#18 ·
If you look at the video closely you can see that the left back leg does not lift of the ground. If fact, the elk rebounds back in the direction from which the cat attacks.

I think it is pretty obvious that the animal was tethered in place. I also think it was a calf. The face is pretty short, and the cat takes it down too quickly. Even a small cow is going to go over 300 pounds, and that cat provbably weighs more than the elk.

Gunner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.