IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog People - spitting in your pups mouth

99K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Jennie@ifish 
#1 ·
I read in a retreiver training book back in the 80's that you should spit in your pups mouth on a certain day of their life. The idea is to establish dominance and bonding.

I have done that with every dog I have owned and it has almost worked too well for me. My dogs are so loyal to me that they shun my wife and others and are my constant shadow. They will go through hell and back for me and never consider disobeying me. My wife says that my dog is "in love" with me. I think she's jealous. When I'm gone my dog pines away for me and acts depressed. He won't leave my side when I'm home.

I'm not so sure this is such a good thing? When we are in the field I can't leave him alone with someone else and go and retreive ducks in a boat, even if they are holding him back. He will break free and swim a mile in freezing water to get to me.

Has anyone else heard of this? When you do a google search on this you come up with some interesting results.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know about any trick. Everything that I posted is true. In fact here are a couple of the many articles that you can find on dog training that recommends this to trainiers. Read down near the end of the article.

http://www.northernflight.com/newpup.htm

" The next method of asserting control that I am going to mention might seem a bit disgusting to you but it works; I learned this from a horse trainer. Every now and then, just grab your dog’s muzzle, open his mouth, and spit in his mouth! This works especially well on dogs that are being obstinate. I was told that it has the same effect as if Mama canine regurgitated food into a puppy’s mouth - and all dogs remember the respect that they had for Mama. I regularly spit in each dogs’ mouth when I have them on my force- fetch table; it has the effect of calming them down and reaffirms control. Similarly, if you don’t mind doing it, any treats that you give should be held in your mouth or spit on and moistened with your saliva before giving it to your dog. This, too, I would guess, is suggestive of Mama regurgitating food, and it reinforces the dog’s understanding of his lower rung on the pecking order ladder"

<non sponsor link removed>

"Now, watch a competent and experienced handler work with a dog. The handler has trained himself or herself to monitor the internal mechanisms of his or her personality and temperament, and to project positives to their canine students. An experienced handler will use strategies like breathing into a dog’s nose, or spitting saliva onto a training bumper or leather glove they are wearing. The handler then places the bumper or glove into the dog’s mouth, so that the dog can taste the person’s intentions. This is done to fast track the olfactory communication process..."

#22 ·
Actually I've never tried it and never will. That just sick MAN!
You need to get a new training book, and quit spitting.

So I guess you guys think that French kissing is gross too? Maybe the dog deserves better? I consulted with your wives. They would rather swap spit with the dog.:D

#10 ·
Nnn'ka,
first take two hay grass sprouts that are pushing seeds.
second, place them together with their trunks pointing opposite directions.
thirdly have Todd spit on them.
fourth, place grass stalks between your lips making sure stalks touch your mouth ahead of seed heads.
fourth, in one continuous motion pull ends of grass stalks though your mouth, making sure Todd spat on the seed heads proving ample lubrication to prevent burn...............

#12 ·
Only one way to find out. I suggest a scientific experiment. Try it out and then post your results for us to read with great interest.

Owl

#15 ·
WOW! I guess all we have on here tonight is jokesters. I can't beleive that this is the first time that anyone here has heard of this. I thought is was dumb too when I first heard of it. But I like to keep an open mind. I was hoping that there might be a few of you that were enlightened enough to at least discuss this topic. So far it's like telling 4 year olds that mommy's and daddy's press their lips together, doing a thing that's called kissing. GaaaRooossss!

Hunt'nfish and Rimrock. I guess DogZilla will be next. You guys disappoint me. This isn't something I made up. Some of the best dog trainers in the world use it. But what do they know in comparison to you guys?

Can you beleive that people actually clean the dirty bottoms of babies? I know. Sounds gross but it actually works. And my wife informs that she actually gets down on her knees and scrubs the toilet out. And all this time I thought it was self cleaning. How funny!

#16 ·
Now people are just having some fun...not at you...just the picture of the man and dog, so smile along with it! OK?

If you want a "serious" answer, yes, I have heard of it before. Not spitting into a dog's mouth but spitting into a young dog's food bowl. I still think this is not an uncommon practice with guard dogs. Heck even Larry Mueller did it with hunting dogs. Not the lip lock :D the spitting into the food bowl.

Smile...OK :D

G
#18 ·
I never heard of spitting Arkansas but I have always bit my dogs on the top of their snout (very softly) right in front of their eyes. My wife and kids think I'm nuts but when they get tired of calling the dogs , I get em home. If mama invites a dog on the bed they will look at me or come to me first for the ok..alpha is as alpha does lol. I NEVER hurt my dogs but I lead the pack. Now those darn cats?? yell at them and they just shred yur wadders and spray on your creel.

#20 ·
Here's another from the web: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090703071857AAgY1kc

"Spitting in a puppy's mouth to create deeper loyalty?

I had heard this in the real world. Was interested to see what info might be online. It's mostly some folks asking innocently "has anyone heard of this before?" and a whole bunch of (I can ONLY assume 12 year olds) 'ewww' answers, and 'that's so weird!' answers. Oh, grow up! First it's not getting dog spit in a persons mouth, but the other way... and dogs eat poo and all kinds of grossness given the chance, so spitting in their mouth isn't mean to them. Does anyone who cares to answer have any actual knowledge about Animal Behavior? NOT vet. medicine, that's like asking a surgeon for psychological advice when a therapist is clearly the better source of advice. Animal Behavior-wise this makes sense with regards to bonding/nurturing/dependence.

Also, I keep seeing it as a 'wives' tale', which is only half true. I got a flat tire and the tow driver who came was Native American. He had a dog in the truck. It was a beautiful, well-behaved dog and we began chatting about pups. This is how I learned that it's an ancient Native American practice to engender deep and lasting loyalty, that along with regular training and love, a few weeks of spitting in your puppy's mouth will make him/her loyal to YOU above all others.
Anyone done it, or known someone who has?"

#31 ·
More: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=132325

"Has anybody heard of the old wive's tale if you spit in a dog's mouth when it is very young, it will be loyal to you and you only.

My mum swears by it (they always had working dogs on the farm) so we decided to try it when we got our first pup
My hubby spat in Scrubby's mouth (JRT) and she does anything and everything for him. So when we got our second JRT, Pumpit, I decided to spit in her mouth. (A little girly spit)

I didn't expect it to work as my hubby is Top Dog in our house. So we just presumed that Pumpit would follow the 'chain of command' but No, she is my dog and all my dog

Has anybody else ever tried it? Got nothing to lose except a little spit....(but only one person should do the spitting....and watch your aim)"

#33 ·
I tried it. Now my dog is always bitting my rear end trying to get my can of Cope out of my pocket. I guess we both need to quit....BH:whistle:

#34 ·
Dang!!! I got into this too late. Everyone has beat me to every smart _ _ _ answer that came to mind.

....yes, I've heard of it but not from anyone who ever trained dogs.

I've exchanged enough spit with different women over the years to agree with those who say the credit card works better....

#36 ·
I guess that this guy is eccentric as well.

Larry Mueller in "Speed Train Your Own Bird Dog"

"The key to early training is making it all about rewards and successes, but never pressure. Here, because I have nothing else handy, the pup is accepting spit on my hand as a reward. It is a natural way to help form the pack leader relationship with a pup, because canine pups, under natural circumstances, accept saliva-coated food from the dam and other superior members of the pack."

But I'm sure that you are a superior trainier. How many books have you written on the subject of dog training?

#37 ·
arkansasbasser,
Yeah were all laughing over this thread......but I wonder how many of us are going to try it? I am, whats it going to hurt. Not like I'm going to stick my tongue down her throat.

I have always done the ear biting and/or muzzle bite in front of the eyes and I do think it helps when there is a dominance issue. Never mean, but firm so they know who is in charge, and I hold them till I feel them relax, then a few moments longer.

I quit chewing the real stuff and now I chew the fake mint stuff and when I spit it out Sam licks it right up.

#40 ·
You should take this innovative idea over to Retriever Training Forum and see what they have to say. Many professional dog trainers post to this website (one's I have actually heard of, and yes one's that have actually written books). Maybe they would greet the idea with more seriousness than this site. By the way, I am surprised my wife indicated to you she would prefer to swap spit with the dogs instead of me. She always seems offended by what the dogs lick. Good luck in your training.

#42 · (Edited)
Sorry you must be right, I just googled "Spitting in your dogs mouth" Here's one that came up.

10 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Kiss Anyone
Except Your Dog

1. More than 100,000,000 microscopic critters live in a human mouth.
  2. Bacteria hang out there.
  3. Fungus grows in the oral cavity.
  4. Mouths have viruses that may cause disease.
  5. The white blood cells from another person's spit will attack in your mouth.
  6. Little leftover bits of food will go into your mouth.
  7. Everyone's spit contains a little bit of urine from their glands.
  8. Yellow teeth tartar is sickening.
  9. Because the nose drips into the back of the mouth, you may get nose muscus mixed with a kiss.
  10. Dog mouths contain many enzymes for fighting infections.
This dog appears to be well trained:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_HJJPDa1Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.