IFish Fishing Forum banner

Oil mixture for 60's 3hp evinrude?

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dborden 
#1 ·
I have bought an old 3hp evinrude, and I don't know what the right mixture for the motor is. Anyone have one of these or know what the correct mixture is?

#3 ·
WAY back we used a 24-1 ratio of 30 wt motor oil to leaded gas in those old 2 hose engines. (A full quart of motor oil to a 6 gallon tank of fuel). Todays 2 stroke oils are far more refined and do a better job of lubricating. One thing different about the oil today is it's ashless and does not leave an ash or harmful deposit in ring lands etc. It's designed for lubrication but not to burn up in the power stroke. Yes, it does burn off other wise the engine would be all carboned up but viscosity is such that the cyl walls are lubricated better and the lubrication lasts longer. Again; it doesn't burn off as fast leaving a film of oil on the pistons and cylinder walls.

I personally believe you should use 50-1 in your 60's double hose motor. However, to be safe, use the newer 50-1 oils in a 25-1 ratio. Either way I think you'd be more than safe. Just be sure to use quality name brand oil.

Same thing goes for the synthetic oils. Some companies suggest going to a 100-1 mix where 50-1 is standard. Double it and you're good to go. In your case, mix 24-1 and be over cautious. Expect a mosquito slick to follow you but there shouldn't be any lubrication issues. :twocents:

#4 ·
i had one of those old motors years ago, and wasnt sure what the mix should be. so i went to the local marina and asked. the mech on duty told me with the new oils i would be just fine with the 50:1. thats basicly what i did but then on my 6 gallon tank i would just add a couple extra ounces of oil. so i didnt actualy do 50:1 but i didnt go 24:1 either. i think you would be great with the 25:1 as long as it dont keep your plugs fouled out. the new oils burn so much better than they did just a few years ago. so i dont think you will have a plug problem. its always better to foul a plug than foul a cylender wall. just have fun and catch fish. its always a learning process.
sherman

#5 ·
Just remember that the oil in the gas , not only lubes the cylinder walls
but the crankshaft of the motor also ...
Depending if it is a needle bearing type crank or a bushing type crank ,
will make a difference how much oil the fuel mix should hold ...:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.