IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to tie a slip tie mooching leader

14K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  FatRap 
#1 Ā·
Looking for a diagram or good instructions on how to tie a slip tie mooching leader. Any help woud be greatly appreciated.:pray:

#6 Ā·
If you know how to tie a egg knot you allready almost have it.
1 Tie the bottom hook with a standard egg knot
2 thread leader end up through eye of second hook and slide it down near first hook
3 take a 18" piece of leader and put it down through the eye of the second hook a couple inches
4 take upper end of 18" leader and rapp down shank tightly over main leader and secondary leader and compleat the second egg knot
5 trim everything and your done

The second egg knot is just that, only with your main leader running right up the shank and out the eye of the second hook.
Everything has to be tight rapped or it will slide to easy
it takes some practice, i often tie 2 solid hooks about 3" apart then the third a slider.
a whole herring with the right bend in it for a good twist and that razor sharp dangling hook has caught me many salmon

Also i save all my twisted leaders and slide a fillet knife up the shank of the hooks cutting the line pulling the hooks for inspection later and retie the good ones for my next trip

good luck and let me know how you do with it

#8 Ā·
I
3 take a 18" piece of leader and put it down through the eye of the second hook a couple inches
4 take upper end of 18" leader and rapp down shank tightly over main leader and secondary leader and compleat the second egg knot
Have found that mono will sometimes abraid the main leader. Would dacron, spectra braid or nylon work any better or worse?

#11 Ā·
I went out a little while ago and tied one the way DC describes using Dacron for the upper hook. Although the first one was a success I'm a bit leery about whether that top hook is not going to fail if it's the only one the fish is hooked with. Anyone else new to this knot feel this way after tying one up?

#17 Ā·
springnutz, that's what I did, to be honest, when I messed with it after tying it I didn't even think about that:passout:. Really I had a moment! I am after all 47, I think:yay:

Imagine this, I forgot to address Thumper, I'd like to know also. Why not, and I know they are available, the fixed version? Pro's-Con's?

#18 Ā·
springnutz, that's what I did, to be honest, when I messed with it after tying it I didn't even think about that:passout:. Really I had a moment! I am after all 47, I think:yay:

Imagine this, I forgot to address Thumper, I'd like to know also. Why not, and I know they are available, the fixed version? Pro's-Con's?

I think the main reason for the top hook sliding is to accomodate the different size and methods of rigging your bait.

I've seen people rig herring in so many different ways (and swear by it), the sliding style allows you to put the hooks where you want and put your own personal spin on the cut plug or whole herring.

The way I tie mine is similar to others where I tie the bottom eggloop first then I only put two inches of the main line through the second hook's eye.

This just makes it faster for me to wrap the second knot and I make it loose enough to slide the length (about 4' or more to start) of the leader and use teeth and pliers to set it where I want it.

lots of ways to do the same thing I suppose.

FD

#19 Ā·
I tie both fixed and slider leaders depending on how I want to fish. The slider is handy to adjust the bend in a whole herring to get the right spin for that water. Once you set a solid tie it is set, adjusting is hit or miss.

Occasionally you hear of someone getting the bottom hook cut or broken off on a slider.

Try tying sliders with a few turns of the wrapping line,(mono, dacron, etc.),around and through the eye to pad your main line and fill the gap. It helps being cut by the inside edges of the eye if the upper hook slips under heavy pressure. Nothing is ever 100% but I have never had one come apart, yet. It only takes a few seconds more to do :twocents:.

#21 Ā·
Owner makes a pre tied slip rig called the Boa. You may want to check them out I have used it a couple times but found the knot kind of cumbersome to adjust but that was probably due to operator error and failure to read the instructions properly. I prefer a slider but have hooked the fish on the slider and it did what it was supposed to do "slide" but slid down against the bottom hook so the pressure of the fish and hook against the bottom hook eventually was abrasive enough to break off the bottom hook so long fish.

The original Boa Rigā„¢ features a revolutionary knot that allows an angler to adjust the lead hook yet get a firm hookset when setting the lead hook. By applying pressure to the knot itself, the lead hook slides up or down the line to accomodate vaious bait sizes. When pressure is applied to the hook, the knot "locks" in place allowing for a firm hookset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.