IFish Fishing Forum banner

Removing Paint And old patches From weld/riveted Aluminum Sled

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  StevenB 
#1 Ā·
Is there anyone who has a good idea for how to approach this.

I've come up with brush cup, wire wheels, paint remover, and scrapers.

Oh, I forgot. Persistence.

It's a light weight aluminum welded and riveted boat that's going to be used in lakes for crayfish and an occasional crabbing trip. Plan is to coat the bottom inside and outside to waterline with a lineX style spray.

A prior owner used some resins to seal the loose rivets and I'm finding that some of that can stay put as long as I can clean up the rivet areas. I'm finding there has been some compromise on those areas. Oxidation.

Fortunately the inside bottom was never painted. Just most of the rail..

Any tips?

I tried using a cheap brush cup and after 7 square feet is cleaned its starting to warble as the wires are falling out lopsiding the cup.:doh:

Steven

See less See more
#3 Ā·
Google soda blasters Clackamas Oregon, you can get a mobile soda blast to come to your house. Soda blasting will remove the paint and not damage the parent material, just another option.
yep, best way to clean them up the right way. I had a place in Mcminnville do mine before the new wrap job. here is what it looked like after they were done. It used to have Dark Blue paint on the hull and it was acid etched when they painted it = a real pain to remove.

FB

#4 Ā·
What kind of rivets are in the boat? I work Aviation and have smashed a few thousand rivets in my day. If you have solid rivets you can tighten them up with 2 hammers 1 person hold a hammer on the tail and the other person hit the head use the bigger hammer on the tail of the river 8oz +. This will not help areas that corrosion and set in.

If you remove corrosion apply alodine over the surface that you work to treat the metal.

If you are near Happy Valley let me know I can give you advice or a hand. I have done some big repairs in my day.

#6 Ā·
I found a couple places that could do the work near where I live. The one in Clackamas that was mentioned had a disconnected phone number.

How do you mean treat the metal?

I mean to get the hull about up to the waterline and inside just above the decking coated with a LineX product.

Are you meaning to do an aluminum sealant?

If I paint the interior or exterior is there another treatment after soda blasting.

As to the rivets I thought the LineX treatment would seal the gaps. I understand there isn't too extreme weight gained with these liner treatments.

#8 Ā·
You treat Aluminum with Alodine (unless it is covered with alclad) you can spray or brush it on. Then rise with water after a few minutes. Don't touch it with bare skin it can damage your liver.

What is does is it chemicaly eteches the aluminum and creates a surface film on the aluminum. After it is dry and washed you can prime and paint the surface the over all process is corrosin prevention. Thsi process is done after rapairs are made and just prior to painting

#10 Ā·
Thanks.

I have some of that along with the warnings that can never be stressed to much.

Perhaps coat with Alodine and once dried a light rinse or pressure wash?

This is my first aluminum boat.

It's going to need at least one plate welded to the deck where a strut tore out.

Using Thermolite for the decking. After all the other of removing the paint I'm tempted to just put shark skin on the aluminum and go with natural aluminum color. Wait! I'll have it anodized!!! :excited:

SB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.