IFish Fishing Forum banner

fish the jetty incoming, or outgoing?

16K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Fish_N_Russ 
#1 ·
am going jetty fishing, hoping for big lings, ..
i have done a search, and found a few 100+ post on the subject... but I never did see a diffinitive answer on weather you should fish incoming or outgoing tide.. high slack... I saw for perch it was incoming to high slack,, is this the rule for the jetty over all, or does it vary by type of fish?
Thanks Doug

#3 ·
Have caught a few fish on the outgoing tide, but very few. Low slack has been ok, but it seems the closer to high tide the better the fishing seems to get. Never targeted just lings though, usually drifting bait for perch and greenling or throwing smaller lures for rockfish.

#6 ·
Depends on your technique. If you want to cast out rubber jigs like swim baits or curly tails or work bait under a slip bobber, I would fish end of the incoming through high slack, and the beginning of the outgoing.

Low tide is good for poking around in holes, there is a very effective technique called Poke Poling that you can catch fish with at low slack.

Low slack can make for some tough getting around on jetty rocks. Think felt soles with cleats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.