IFish Fishing Forum banner

Is salmon really toxic to dogs?

26K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Keta 
#1 ·
We fish with our dogs all the time. I've been told that salmon is deadly to domestic dogs and have kept my dogs from the fish when we catch them (much to one of their disappointment). I won't even allow them to check out a freshly caught fish. But a friend of mine fed his dog and mine salmon last night (not knowing there was an issue with dogs and salmon) and both dogs are just fine. Should I still be worried or is this just folklore?

#2 ·
From Washington State University pet health topics website:
Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.
Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.​
“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”
Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.

#3 ·
My understanding is, that ANY fish caught in the fresh can give a dog "salmon poisoning". It shows up as loose stools and fever. It can be treated if caught in time.
Once a dog has gotten the salmon poison and survived, they will be immune to the toxin that causes it.
I'm sure you can find a lot more info on the net.
I hope this helps.
Terry

#8 ·
Once a dog has gotten the salmon poison and survived, they will be immune to the toxin that causes it.
Not to be rude, but I don't believe that is a true statement as there is a parasite involved.

This is from WSU

Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.
Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.​
“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”
Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.
Common symptoms of salmon poisoning include:

• vomiting
  • lack of appetite
  • fever
  • diarrhea
  • weakness
  • swollen lymph nodes
  • dehydration
If untreated, death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish. Ninety percent of dogs showing symptoms die if they are not treated. Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it’s caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trashcans and you are unsure of what it’s eaten; consider the possibility of salmon poisoning. Salmon poisoning can be diagnosed with a fecal sample or a needle sample of a swollen lymph node. Detecting the parasite’s eggs as they are shed in the feces confirms its presence. The rickettsial organism can be detected in a needle sample from a swollen lymph node. The combination of symptoms, and the presence of parasite eggs or the rickettsial organisms, are enough to justify treatment.
Given the severity of the condition, treatment is relatively simple. Your veterinarian will prescribe an antibiotic and a “wormer”. The antibiotic kills the rickettsial organisms that cause the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite. If the dog is dehydrated, intravenous fluid are given. Once treatment has been started, most dogs show dramatic improvement within two days. Next time you are fishing or purchase raw salmon and you hear the familiar begging whine of your dog, ignore it. They may not understand it, but not sharing the fish is the best thing for them. This will save them from suffering salmon poisoning, and save you from a veterinary bill.

#5 ·
It's definitely real. My dog got salmon poisoning about a month and a half ago. I would monitor your dog closely, and as soon as they start acting sick, take them into the vet asap. My dog was a little moody and under the weather one evening and in the morning he still seemed sick, but by the time I got home from work he was a bag of bones he was so dehydrated and he could barely walk.

Your dog will be fine as long as you get them to the vet in a timely manner, my vet said that the only time it's been fatal is when an owner neglects to take their dog in for several days. The good news is that once your dog gets it, they are in most cases immune. My dog quickly recovered once he was rehydrated and put on antibiotics. I took him fishing last week and he found a dead steelie. He took a couple bites before I was able to chase him away from it. He didn't get sick this time, so hopefully he is immune, allthough I am trying to minimize his contact with salmon and trout to just be safe.

#10 ·
The dogs were fed cooked salmon. It was actually leftover grilled salmon from the day before that was made into salmon fritters. It was definitely cooked fish. No doubt about that. So cooked fish won't cause illness? I'm ready to head to the vet right now although neither dog is behaving any way other than totally happy.

#14 · (Edited)
Just had to take my dog 2 days ago, yes it is true that dogs are the only animals that are not immune to the parasite, and yes if they do happen to get infected with it and survive they are Immune, and yes if it is cooked it is fine, at least that is what the Vet at ST. Francis Veterinarian over here in Vancouver said . It was worth the 93 dollars for the exam and antibiotics she will have to take twice a day for 3 wks, she got into my salmon carcass. If you wait till the dog is sick I.M.H.O. you are just taking an warrented risk to your dogs health. Best 93 dollars I have ever spent.

Attachments

#15 ·
When I was about 15 I caught a Steel head out of the clackmas river, after we cleaned it we dug a hole and bearied the guts, my Boxer dug it up, and about 4 to 6 days my dad took it to the vet, Salmon just about did her in.

YEP, WATCHER HER/OR/HIM,

#16 ·
We fish with our dogs all the time. I've been told that salmon is deadly to domestic dogs and have kept my dogs from the fish when we catch them (much to one of their disappointment). I won't even allow them to check out a freshly caught fish. But a friend of mine fed his dog and mine salmon last night (not knowing there was an issue with dogs and salmon) and both dogs are just fine. Should I still be worried or is this just folklore?
I witness that myself when I was in Corvallis 1987. My classmate fed cooked salmon to his landlord's German Shepherd. The dog die next day and the landlord was so mad. No one know the dog die because of salmon or not though. The dog was kinda old. I think for this to happen it got to be combination of a real bad individual salmon and weak or unlucky dog. Never to be more careful though.

#23 ·
Take your dog to the vet! It takes a couple of days or so to start causing problems. Fever and lack of energy are early signs. Tetracycline (sp?) is the cure. It is very real and very deadly if left untreated. As others mentioned, once it's over the dog shouldn't get it again.

#24 ·
Your dog will be just fine since the fish was cooked. My dog ate a whole half of a fillet from a 15 lb springer last year after taking it off the bbq and left unattended inside. He was just fine, the vet said cooked salmon is actually good for the dogs coat. Makes em shiny.

#25 ·
You will want to keep a close eye on the dog. They can get the disease more than once, simply having it one time does not guarantee immunity. Also, there is a HUGE difference between pasteurized salmon products in dog food and a piece of fish off the barbecue.

I used to live on the river so I have had several dogs that have had ended up getting this from eating dead fish. I also had one dog who got it from eating table scraps, and one dog who ended up getting it twice. personally I do not give fish to my dogs, cooked or not. Its just not worth the potential for several hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

#26 ·
Yep, you should be in good shape since the fish was cooked and now you are a lot more informed on "salmon poisoning".

I have done considerable research and the words that keep popping up concerning immunity are "should be immune" and "solidly immune for a long period, possibly for life" and similar disclaimers. Forewarned is forearmed and this one is easy to diagnose and treat once you are aware.

Fortunately, the symptoms are "profound". Your dog goes down hard and is lethargic, off the chow, vomiting and can't even keep water down within 6 to 10 days of exposure. Tetracycline is the cure along with a wormer.

From one article:

Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish with death occurring in 14 days. Only 10% of dogs survive if left untreated.

Don't mess with this stuff and even one drop of fish blood is enough. If you suspect your dog may be infected get it to the vet ASAP. A simple test will tell whether it is salmon poisoning. Get the dog in before it is dehydrated and save yourself a lot of worry, not to mention money.

#28 ·
Its rough on dogs, I have a pointer thats been fishin on the rivers around here for 9 years. Hes been chewing on fish his whole life. He got salmon poisoning last fall and i almost lost him from it. Vet bills cost me over 2k. Not all salmon have it, i guess they have to eat an infected fish and the parasite that carries the bacteria has to be in what he eats from what i understand.

#33 ·
Vet bills cost me over 2k.
Called the vet, didn't even need a visit. Went down and picked antibiotics. A couple of days later, happy dog again.
After a couple $300 vet bills I can't take the risk. The big thing is ---definitely take the dog to the vet at the first sign of illness---
The difference between the dog spending several days at the Vet's on an I.V., costing thousands of dollars and possibly losing the dog is the time between first symptom and treatment. Dogs dehydrate rapidly and it kills them. They show symptoms at 6-7 days and 90% are dead at 14 days without treatment.

My Vet gave me a prescription for Tetracycline and I carried the antibiotics with me. My lab Nicky got the pills at the first sign that he didn't want half my sandwich. I may have given him the antibiotics a couple times when he didn't need them but after ten years on and around boats, docks and river banks, he was never sick from salmon.

Up in Alaska, the local dogs sometimes line the river bank and try their luck at a fish or 2. Never herd of them getting it up their?
The fluke that carries the bacteria is native to the Cascades of the Pacific Northwest. Some people think that ocean-caught salmon won't make a dog sick since they get the fluke in fresh water. They forget that the salmon started in fresh water and have carried the fluke and bacteria their whole life.

#31 ·
Yea my dog got it twice already this year from Clackamas river stealhead, I hate it but my little buddy doesnt get to go with me very often anymore. Only time she goes with me now is when I figure the fishing won't be very good and I need a little comfort for my misery. After a couple $300 vet bills I can't take the risk. The big thing is ---definitely take the dog to the vet at the first sign of illness---She was licking up the blood only and that is what caused the problem. Might have to start bringing my daughters cat with me for a companion except that I am sure my" man card "would be stripped from my wallet for sure.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.