IFish Fishing Forum banner

1/4 moa click @ 100 yd = what at 300?

44K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Flatfish 
#1 ·
At 100 it's 1/4 inch.

so that trasnlates to what at 200? I guess I assumed it was 1/2 inch.

300?.....3/4 inch.....

400?

?

#4 ·
You're both right. Each 1/4" click is 1/4 MOA (1MOA=1" at 100 yards). At 300 yds, 3 x 1/4MOA=3/4" of crosshair movement. At 400yds, each click will move the crosshair 1". At 800yds each click is 2". This does not translate into target delivery however, since you also have to compensate for bullet drop, ballistic coefficient, wind direction/speed, angle of shot, and other factors to KNOW where your bullet will land. This is a great free web based program that may help you:
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

#5 · (Edited)
The O.P. was asking about reticle movement related to windage adjustment, not elevation, not even discussing bullet path so ballistic coefficient, angle, bla-bla-bla not involved.

A real "minute of angle" is a fraction more than an inch at 100 yards, but for our purposes here we can round it off to one inch at 100 yards.

Think of it like a slice of pizza:
1 moa at 100 yards = 1
1 moa at 200 yards = 2
1 moa at 400 yards = 4
1 moa at 700 yards = 7
and so on...

HOWEVER... this is all only valid in a perfect world. If you want results you can bet money on, then you need to verify that the reticle actually moves the correct amount when the knob/turret is turned, they do not always behave as advertised, but if you know how it behaves, and it is consistant, then you can dial in exactly what you want.

One way to check your scope is to sand bag the rifle (or unmounted scope) so it is solid ( put bags under, beside, and on top of it) while pointing at a big paper with one inch grid pattern on it 100yards away. Turn the knobs and note the movement...you are expecting 4 clicks (1 moa) to move the crosshair 1 inch. Turn the knob as far as it will go and check that the total movement is equal to what you expect. I have Leupold scope that moves 1.2" when I dial in 1 moa, not a problem since I know it and put the correction into my drop charts.

In this case:
1 indicated moa at 100 yards = 1.2"
1 indicated moa at 200 yards = 2.4"
1 indicated moa at 400 yards = 4.8"
1 indicated moa at 700 yards = 8.4"
and so on...

I also have a Leupold scope which the reticle stops moving while the turret continues to turn for several more moa.............same thing, since I know it when I make my drop chart, it doesn't get the chance to embarrass me afield.

#6 · (Edited)
As indicated above, it depends on the scope. I bought a Weaver scope back in the mid 90s, it' s adjustments were, shall we say, vague. One click may yield no movement at 200 yards, while the next click might get 1 3/4".

As it is with a lot of things in life, the more you spend, the higher the probability that everything will work as advertised.

My newest Leupolds are much better in this regard than the 90's vintage units were.

Also, when ,making adjustments on the range, it is wise to gently tap on the scope after making adjustments to make sure everything seats into place. I use a screwdriver handle. No not smash the thing like a hammer and nail. Simply tap lightly a couple times after adjustments are made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.