IFish Fishing Forum banner

Video of great white at depoe

8K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Bill Monroe 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Okay. All the supposition has been removed from this thread. For the record:
-The shark tangled himself in a crab pot harness and drowned.
-Sharks are primitive creatures and continue to move through residual nerve action long after death.
-OSP and ODFW were both on-scene when the shark was brought ashore. No wrong-doing was discovered.

Now back to the story......

#15 ·
Don't know if you all are reading the comments posted to the video on u-tube. I'm getting email threats of getting my boat holed and other fun things from people that say they are local to Depoe Bay.

All I did was post the video.

If you know anybody upset enough to want to try something....please fill them in on the details posted by Crabbait.

#16 ·
You tubers aren't the most respectable bunch - no accountability. I was at Fisherman's Marine over the lunch hour and some guy that used to work at FMS (and who claimed to be in port when the boat came in) was at the reel counter talking about how big the reels were on that boat and that the shark was still alive, story just isn't true, etc. I think it's to be expected that there will be naysayers when anything like this happens. Lots of know it all's out there.

Very good of you to post the video - thank you, and I wouldn't worry the youtube threats - probably some 15 year old locked up in his mom's basement :D

#25 ·
Enough of the nonsense. Anybody that fishes and knows about the ocean and it's wildlife especially Saltydawgs love and respect the sharks for the job they do:EATING SEALIONS and cleaning the ocean. Yea they take some lures and rigs sometimes but they do much more good than harm. Nobody that fishes the big blue i know would purpously harm a big beautiful white shark or any shark species either unless it was a legal fish that was not pupping or to big to manage and eat it.

#26 · (Edited)
Oregon State Police may not be much help...

News release:

Oregon State Police (OSP) Fish & Wildlife Division is continuing the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the possession of what is confirmed as a 12-foot Great White Shark in the Depoe Bay area this weekend.

According to OSP Sergeant Todd Thompson, on August 8, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. an OSP Fish & Wildlife Division trooper was working on the Depoe Bay docks when a shark was brought in by a recreational tuna boat. The trooper contacted the boat occupants after they had already gutted the shark. They indicated the shark had become entangled in their crab gear and was pulled to the surface when they pulled in a crab pot.

The shark was tentatively believed to be a Great White Shark and was seized.

On August 9th the shark was released to the Hatfield Marine Science Center and positively identified as a Great White by the National Marine Fisheries Service and ODFW.

Under State and Federal law, it is unlawful to take or possess Great White Sharks. The investigation is continuing.

Photograph Source: Oregon State Police

### www.oregon.gov/OSP ###

Contact Info: Sergeant Todd Thompson
Oregon State Police - Newport
Fish and Wildlife Division
(541) 265-5354 ext. 224

As I recall the story, the crew called their discovery in and were asked to bring it ashore???
And yes, I completely understand the necessity of cops to take it slowly and methodically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.