IFish Fishing Forum banner

Danner Outlet - Factory 2nds?

30K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  Silver Eagle 
#1 ·
Have any of you had any issues with the factory 2nds at the Danner Outlet store in Portland? I was in there yesterday looking at Danner/Lacrosse boots and had a hard time spending money on boots that didn't have a warrantee.

:pray:

I just wanted to see if any of you had good/bad experiences with their factory 2nds....

#4 ·
Both of my factory 1sts leak and neither have that much wear time on them.

I am disapointed to say the least.

:twocents:

#7 ·
YES!!

I bought a pair of rainforests 2nds from the outlet, and they leaked horribly. They were still expensive, even though they were seconds. I treated the leather, they still leaked. Then warmed up all the leather, and sno-sealed the whole thing. They must be leaking through the sole/leather joint or somehting. They leak as soon as they get wet.

No warranty, no thanks, my money was wasted.

I have had good luck with a couple pairs of danners, but now I buy better boots. Much better boots. Cheaper in the long run. You can get great deals on quality boots (Lowa, Scarpa, etc.) on sale/clearance at REI, US outdoor store, or next adventure. Online too, but its hard to buy boots without trying them on first.

#9 ·
Have any of you had any issues with the factory 2nds at the Danner Outlet store in Portland? I was in there yesterday looking at Danner/Lacrosse boots and had a hard time spending money on boots that didn't have a warrantee.

:pray:

I just wanted to see if any of you had good/bad experiences with their factory 2nds....
When your there, ask why they are seconds! if it was a leather issue...still a leather issue. I got a pair because they made them insulated when they were not suppoosed to. I got a New insulated pair at a great deal. There are deals to be had...But know the product and why it's a second.

#10 ·
I got a pair of Danner Tinners and so far after a season and a half all I can say is WOW. These are the most comfortable boot I've ever had and when my feet stay dry while hunting the coast range I know I got a good pair. I bought them as seconds.

#12 ·
I have bought 2 pairs out there over past 10 years. Both have worked great for intended use, no leaks, no problems.

As stated above ask what's wrong or why they are seconds...first pair had deep scratch in the leather on the side, second pair had some kind of sole pattern issue. Whatever, they worked greta for me.

#14 · (Edited)
I've had their "firsts" blowout their seams from walking on the sidewalk, so no, I would not buy their boots without a warranty.

I really like supporting local outdoor companies but Danners are the most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn, and I've tried several pairs. I bought them because they were cheap and local. Many of their models seem like they are straight out of the 1800's in terms of shoe technology. I finally had it with their workboots and bought some Redwings. Although the Redwings aren't perfect, they are 100% better than any Danner I have tried. All my Danners hurt the bottoms of my feet. The Redwings do a much better job of cushioning. I often stand on concrete all day.

I haven't seen a single Danner hunting boot with real ankle support for elk hunting. They're all flimsy if you twist them. A good hiking boot gives you ankle support. I think the same is needed for elk hunting.

I have found Lowa boots from Germany to be absolutely oustanding. Real ankle support and comfort. Supposedly they will be making workboots soon. The Hunter and Tibet boots from Lowa have a huge following with bowhunters, guides, etc., but I've never tried them. They will be my next boot if I can find someone that stocks them locally.

I'm with Ridgerunner on this one. I think you can do much better than Danner for hunting. Many of my co-workers love Danner but they've never tried anything else so they really don't know what they are missing.

#15 ·
The best boots are the boots that fit your feet correctly..period, end of story. Technical boot fitting is one of my specialties and I can tell you that boot reviews are a waste of time. Every foot is different and every boot is made for a different type of foot. Some are high volume, some low, some wide, some narrow....try them on with someone who knows how to properly fit boots. If your feet are hurting because of the boots then you have a pair that aren't a good fit for your type of foot. One of the best things you can do for any boot is put a pair of superfeet insoles in them.......you will be amazed at the support and lack of fatigue in your feet, knees, hips, and back.

#21 ·
Great point flyjunky.

I think a lot of people are unhappy with Danners due to fit. They seem to run a little narrow. Danners actually fit my feet really well, I have narrow/low volume feet. I was always happy with the fit, comfort, etc. The problem is the boots themselves. And I was looking for a more serious backpacking type boot.

Finding a boot/insole combo that fit as well as danners was very difficult. Finally got it with Scarpa.

#19 ·
Never was comfortable in the only pair of 'em I ever owned & you'd think that a custom built pair of loggers would fit but they didn't & I went to Whites smoke jumpers & corks & found them to be the best fitting boots I've ever worn.:twocents:

#20 ·
I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns retail 1sts last year. I thought they needed to get broken in and they would be great. I was looking forward to my first pair of quality hunting boots. These were recommended by a few people I know. However........

1 - They leaked before they were broken in yet.
2 - They still aren't very comfortable to say the least
3 - I feel clumbsy in them.

Maybe the post above is true about different boot styles for different foot types. But that doesn't explain the leaking. I paid around $180 and think I paid $180 too much. I am totally bummed. I was excited to get them broken in and comfy. I have never had good hunting boots. I still haven't. I tried returning them to Sportsmans last year and they refused to help me even though the boots were worn less than 5 times. That was my last pair of Danners and my last boot purchase at Sportsmans.

Jason Bilyeu

#38 ·
I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns retail 1sts last year. I thought they needed to get broken in and they would be great. I was looking forward to my first pair of quality hunting boots. These were recommended by a few people I know. However........

1 - They leaked before they were broken in yet.
2 - They still aren't very comfortable to say the least
3 - I feel clumbsy in them.

Maybe the post above is true about different boot styles for different foot types. But that doesn't explain the leaking. I paid around $180 and think I paid $180 too much. I am totally bummed. I was excited to get them broken in and comfy. I have never had good hunting boots. I still haven't. I tried returning them to Sportsmans last year and they refused to help me even though the boots were worn less than 5 times. That was my last pair of Danners and my last boot purchase at Sportsmans.

Jason Bilyeu

Jason I think were in the same boat, I bought mine last year and so far this year they have not leaked, but then again it has not rained - they will and I will be ticked off like everyone else, is there anything I can do to prevent this, I will try and treat them with some Mink Oil and see what happens.......Ray

#24 ·
Never had a problem with first or seconds till they stopped making them in the USA. I went through two pairs of first before found a pair that did not leak. Was able to get them replaced and have no complaints with the new ones. But for the money they should not leak at all!!

#25 ·
Never had a problem with first or seconds till they stopped making them in the USA. I went through two pairs of first before found a pair that did not leak. Was able to get them replaced and have no complaints with the new ones. But for the money they should not leak at all!!
:yeahthat:Have a pair of firsts I bought yrs. ago, that seem to leak when they feel like it. Comfy so I still wear in good weather and use as back-ups. Looked and noticed they were made in China!! :passout: Have USA made seconds now that I love, so far. Still with them 'cause I'm a homer and they do fit me well, just look at the label when I buy now. LOVE their socks!!!

#26 ·
I have a pair I bought at the factory store, although they were a discontinued model not seconds. I've had them for about 8 years. Hundreds of mile on them, as of last winter no leaks, no blisters, no problems. They are USA made, stitched welt. I wonder if a lot of the problems are with the newer models. As for fit, my hinting boots fit me great but Danner hikers don't.

#27 ·
I worked in the outlet for a couple year while I was in school. The seconds 90% of the time are a visual defect that they can't charge full price for. However if a large retailer place an order and cannot sell them all thy end up as seconds, as well as discontinued products. I have worn Danners for last 15 yrs, as long as I take care of them they last forever. Have one pauir that has had 8 outsoles on it. I love them. Though out of prinepl I stick to the Portland made product.

#34 ·
What do you do when you buy a pair and they leak- and you dont have a warranty? I snowsealed the whole boot and when I wear them in the hard rain I can litlerally pour water out of them? It aint sweat. Any suggestions on what to do when you buy seconds and this happens? They were still expensive (rainforests, bought in '03).

#28 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I did decided on some factory 1st's 400gram Pronghorns. I also bought some Danner Pronghorn Merino wool socks...so I hope that is going to be a good combo. :)

#29 ·
The pronghorns are one of the better boots danner makes i think. I know alot of people that really like them.
Flyjunky is only partially right though....the best boot is the best quality boot you can get that fits your foot the best.

Frankly i would consider Danner right in the middle of the boot spectrum. Slightly above the Irish Setters,Wolverines,Rockies etc.
But a cut below the Kenetreks,Lowa,Meindle's,vasques etc.

#30 ·
i use to be a boot maker,the boots are brobably leaking at the welt,also the seconds could have been sewn through the gortex wich will make them leak.i wore a pair of danner FT lewis boots for 5 years on active duty and never had a problem.ive seen white boots that were junk and others.also if your way over weight its really hard to find a pair that are comfortable all day as it affects the way you walk and stand

#33 ·
Good point another thing is people forget to wear gaiters to protect their pant legs and socks if they get wet they will wick water right though your socks to your feet. The boots are not leaking but its the wicking that is getting your feet wet in tall grass or ferns even if your pants legs get wet, it will wick down the pant to the socks and your feet.

#35 ·
Good point another thing is people forget to wear gaiters to protect their pant legs and socks if they get wet they will wick water right though your socks to your feet. The boots are not leaking but its the wicking that is getting your feet wet in tall grass or ferns even if your pants legs get wet, it will wick down the pant to the socks and your feet.
Good call on the gaiters! I usually wear gaiters in the mornings to keep the dew off my pants and socks. danner frontiers and gaiters for the past 3 years and i have been a happy hunter.

#32 ·
I've purchased many pairs of the seconds and never had an issue. They are required to tell you what made them seconds. I always asked and then found a pair that may of had a leather blemish or scuff. They usually mark where the issue is with a little red arrow sticker. Find that sticker, if you don't you may want to be leary. Also be sure to try them BOTH on, because I have heard stories of sewing issues in the boot (folds, twists) that cause incredible rubs and blisters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.