IFish Fishing Forum banner

Brad's Cut Plug vrs. Limit Out Lure

14K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  steelhead_fishn 
#1 ·
I Will be fishing 6 rods out of the boat with 5000 of my closest friends this weekend :excited: . Figure I will have a little competition Between Brad's new plug and the Limit Out Lure. I have 12 Brad's and 6 Limit Out lures...figure three of each and we'll see how it goes. I hope they work well as I will have a bunch of kids with me that have never caught a fish. :pray:. Thight lines

#11 ·
Herring or anchovy in the ocean works just great but the green coyote was a very close second when the bait was getting low. We learned that you need to loose the flasher and lengthen your leader. We did have some trouble with jelly fish initially but we fished above them (about 20 pulls) and struck gold. Only three natives for the whole day. We were out and back in with a limit of six in just 4 hours. (The ride back was 40 minutes). :applause:

#10 ·
I tried a blk/crome Apex as well as five flavors/looks of Brads in the river and went zip for zip for zip.... well you get the picture. What I didn't bring was my spinners. DUH! Go prepared or don't go is what I say. Therefore I deserved to go fish less didn't I. :whistle:

From what I hear, red and green spinners are the hitters (all depends on where you are when they slam the spinner) and that will remain a secret. I'll give you a hint; (The river). Good luck!!:cool:

#12 ·
Keep us posted with results and technique

I am considering several of each but nothing has replaced my canadian caps

Each time I have tried to order on-line the Limit Out Lure the website goes down. Might be a sign

#15 ·
Personally,

the Limit Out Lure offers the best of both worlds: you have the perfect spin, hoochie for added flash/attractant, but also the feel and taste of the real deal! There are days where the fish want to be fed, and this lure covers a wider range of fish preferences. That might make the difference when the bite is tough. I also think that with varying water temperatures, this can make a big difference on rivers. Having the scent, taste, feel of bait but the added flash and spin covers all your bases at once. This is what we have found anyways. Why fix what aint broke???:)

ANZ

#18 ·
Fished 2 brads, 2 limit out, 1 herring, and 1 spinner in the river for a whole day.

Nothing, zip, nada on the brads

10 fish on the limit out :thisbig:
4 fish on cut plug:meme:
3 fish on the spinners:D

almost got a limit for our crew, had a few with to many fins, what a great day on the river

#21 ·
1eyed, Thank you so much for doing this test. That's terrific.:applause:

Buoy 10 - estuary area? Give us a general idea on locale, please. Did you put tuna or herring or anything in the Brads cut plug? I think you're supposed to do that. What color Brad's did you use?

So the results were:

Brad's Cut Plug: 0 fish per rod

Limit Out Bait Rig: 5 fish per rod

Cut Plug Herring: 4 fish per rod

Spinner: 3 fish per rod.

I used to do a little statistical analysis, and the way statisticians look at results like these is to ask the question something like: What's the probability that these catch differences could occur by chance? Not enough data here to say much, but my guess is that there's NOT a statistically significant difference between Limit Out, Cut Plug Herring and Spinner. Getting 5 on 1 rod and 3 on another could easily happen by chance. However, I'd guess there IS a significant difference for these particular Brads since they never hooked a fish. A statistical test would probably report that this result was unlikely to be caused by chance.

I wonder why these Brads didn't hook up when we know that other people are catching them in the estuary using Brads cut plug. There's a thread on another board talking about this that even includes a video.

Looking forward to hearing more on other's tests.

#22 ·
Bouy 10 area

I put tuna, herring and sardine in the brads, I forget the names but I used all 3 that look like herring, not the colored ones.

I have heard some reports that you need to fish the brads alot faster than I was fishing.

I put fresh herring on the limit out lure, it works best trolled faster, mostly between 1.8 and 2.5 mph, you also need to make sure and cut the plastic rod if you are using smaller bait

#23 ·
Have two L/O rigs, no joy to report since Springer season... trolled fast, slow or hoglined. Now red/white and green dot spinners... or cut plug... much different story.

Would appreciate any input on how best to utilize the L/O rigs for success.

#28 · (Edited)
I think the limit out rig shines where the current is too strong to keep a good cut plug or whole bait in good shape. Ie. holding against the flood tide at B-10. I can never keep a good bait working for long, but slide a herring on the limit out rig, and it stays intact in those ripping currents.

I always prefer to go natural whether cut plug or whole, but I think the limit out excels in certain conditions. I hooked and lost two fish on the limit out rig holding against the tide near Ilwaco a couple weeks ago, so I guess I'm confident that they will work.

Just another tool for the right conditions.

#30 ·
the problem with the LO bait rig is the fish can see the herring helmet and it will turn them away.

Last friday at B-10 we hit 10 fish on our first pass on regular cut plug herring.You have to fish twice as hard running that yard sale bait riggen stuff to get fish. There is no substitute for good cared for and properly rigged plug cut herring.

If you havent figured it out yet book with a guide who will show you, it will save you hours of frustration.

#31 · (Edited)
the problem with the LO bait rig is the fish can see the herring helmet and it will turn them away.

Last friday at B-10 we hit 10 fish on our first pass on regular cut plug herring.You have to fish twice as hard running that yard sale bait riggen stuff to get fish. There is no substitute for good cared for and properly rigged plug cut herring.

If you havent figured it out yet book with a guide who will show you, it will save you hours of frustration.
You might be on to something but then again if this were true then why do they hit spinners, spoons, and kwikfish? All of which look and feel totally artificial. My guess is it has more to do with the action than the helmet on the LO rig.

RM

#33 · (Edited)
I spent 9 days at B10 from August 16th - 25th. By the end of the trip I was fishing exclusively Brad's in the heavy rips and trolling green dot and orange/white spinners in the shallows on the slack. Both methods resulted in a phenomenal number of fish. Stuff the Brad's with some good meat and fish them in the fast moving rips on the big tides.

My boat ended with 42 keepers for 6 full days fished plus countless natives that were released on a 5/0 gami siwash. The big gami seemed to provide an adequate hook-up ratio with a much easier release. We landed 6 fish in ~4 minutes during our best bite including a double (10 seconds away from being a triple). The spinners in the slackwater were absolutely deadly as well.

The Brad's work best stuffed with good fresh meat and scent injection for the target specieis (coho or nook). The first two days we lost a ton of fish while we figured out what the best hook rig would be. We broke off 4 of our biggest nooks with 50 pound mono (possibly due to the extreme plastic bend in the lure). Hopefully Brad works on a rubber liner or something for that in the off-season.

I found 10 nice trays of blue label puget sound herring right before we left. I beleive I still have 8 in the freezer. Fishing B10 with artificials gave us a ton more quality fishing time in the fast moving water.

I do consider them disposable though, we went through a bunch of gear including rubber bands, broken brads, and no paint.

This is just one guys opinion, but the Brad's will definitely be a tool in my toolbelt for big tides at B10.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.