IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wild mushrooms!

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  millsymojo 
#1 ·
Just a reminder that it's not to late in the year to find some of natures tasty treats!

Here's some bolete's we found last night when we went out looking for some animals!

We found these around 6000'. In any major mountain ranges in NEO above 5000' in river bottoms or 6000' an above on ridge lines you should be able to find some boletes still popping up. You might even be lucky enough to find a few morels still around at the highest elevations. And there may even be a few chantrelles coming up soon in the some of the major drainages coming out of the Eagle Caps if you know what your looking for. Just something to look out for while your out scouting.

Oh and just a heads up, the huckleberries are starting to get ripe, and it always makes for a fun family trip to the woods for a family outting!:excited: I have ran into bears on occasion picking berries, so bring a gun!:wink:

See less See more
#15 ·
OK, you are making me hungry. I have not eaten wild mushrooms in awhile. Thanks for all the info.

#7 ·
not trying to hijack but how do you mushroom pickers get you knowledge to be sure your picking safe mushrooms . I find them all the time but have no clue which ones are safe to eat . I don't think i would trust any book enough to go by . So my question is how did you learn to pick and what to pick ? I must say some good mushrooms along with some elk tenderloin sounds good . I have no idea what i have been missing all these years .

#8 ·
For first timers, there is a few mushrooms that are very easy to distinguish from other mushrooms that may be poisonous. Chantrelles, which grow in abundance in the coast and Cascade range are very easy to tell from other mushrooms and there is only two other mushrooms that even look remotely like them that are mildly poisonous. Once you know what a chantrelle looks like, it will be very easy to tell them apart.

Morels are another one that only has one other mushroom that has a resemblence, but are easy to tell apart by the way the stem and cap come together(morel will have no umbrella shape to cap). Verpa's, being it's look-a-like, is also not a seriously poisonous mushroom like other's that are out there.

Bolete's only have one mushroom in the bolete family that is toxic enough to make you sick and that is the slippery jack bolete. The King Bolete is very easy to tell apart as it is in general a much thicker(meatier), larger in size and has much more closed spores(spongy tissue on underside of cap) than the slippery jack. The cap also tends to be much more convex (reminds me of a potatoe) on a King Bolete (will flaten out some as it gets older), and a slippery jack will have a flat cap to almost concave appearance.

If you are interested in finding identifing mushrooms easier and don't trust the books, I would recommend stopping by a mushroom buyer in your area this fall and ask if they could help you identify some mushrooms.

As for learning the good types of mushrooms to pick, my mom started taking us out as kids to try and earn extra money and it kind of evolved from there. Definitely a fun time spent with family in the woods going on your on treasure hunt.

#10 ·
One thing to think about when picking is to cut the stem and leave the base in the ground this will preserve your spot so you can come back another year and again reap the benefits.

If you have a comercial permit you can take them out of the woods whole but with the free personal use permit you are suppose to cut them in half before removal...

Not trying to be internet police just that when posting pics you are putting it out there weather you were legal or not....

#12 ·
One thing to think about when picking is to cut the stem and leave the base in the ground this will preserve your spot so you can come back another year and again reap the benefits.

If you have a comercial permit you can take them out of the woods whole but with the free personal use permit you are suppose to cut them in half before removal...

Not trying to be internet police just that when posting pics you are putting it out there weather you were legal or not....
Don't cut bolete's off in the ground as it will cause that spot to rot out and ruin future crop. You can cut them in half or cut the bottoms off after you have pulled them from the ground.

Please do cut the stems on morels and chantrelles. On chantrelles a new mushroom will actually in some cases grow from that stem. Pulling them will actually hurt future crops!

As far as the legalities of the mushrooms, you do not know if I had a permit for them, if I sold them, or where they were actually picked at(public or private). So please don't be policing the internet like you were doing. The legalities of what people do is not my responsibilty, and is up to them to make sure they do things within the law. I am not a lawyer and am not going to give advice as such.

Matt, hopefully I can make it over this season for a couple of days to pick chantrelles this fall!!!!!! And yes, they kind of look like a red potatoe(potato)!:cool:

#11 ·
Went up in the Cascades yesterday to cut some wook, finished up my wood permit, and found the area under the firs moist and found quite a few mushrooms did not have a book along to try and identify so left, but was surprise at the way the forest was this year. Nice day in the woods:meme::meme::meme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.