IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lamiglas Sturgeon Rod?

10K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  hilljackian 
#1 Ā·
Does Lamiglas make a good Sturgeon rod for under $100?

If so, does anyone have any boat rod recommendations? Probably in the 6'6" or 7' category that will work for shakers up to gators.

Something maybe to put a GT320 or 330 on.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

#9 Ā·
I found this on the Internet:

Big Fish BC 66 H 6' 6" 20-50 LB Cascade Pro Series Rod

But I don't see that on the Lamiglas website, does anyone know anything good/bad about this rod? Lifetime waranty? Good Sturgeon rod?

#10 Ā·
I have a Mag Taper I use for sturgeon this time of year, and it handles everything.

Also I have a couple Sturdy Stiks from GI joes for buddies, just so they can get bashed around and I dont get too uptight about it. At 20$ This is a decent little stick. Ive fshed them a cople days and they get it done,

Alhough if you can swing it I;ve heard from a decent source that the loomis sturgeon rods are basicly the cats @$$ in terms of a sensitive strong rod

#11 Ā· (Edited)
It's definately more sensitive than my other sturgeon rods.

After catching fish over 10ft in the last few weeks, I would never go back to using a salmon based rod for sturgeon. I've landed 10 ft sturgeon on them before and it's fun to do...once. After that it gets pretty old when it takes you at least an hour and a half to land a fish.

#12 Ā·
It's definately more sensitive than my other sturgeon rods.

After catching fish over 10ft in the last few weeks, I would never go back to using a salmon based rod for sturgeon. I've landed 10 ft sturgeon on them before and it's fun to do...once. After that it gets pretty old when it takes you at least an hour and a half to land a fish.

Plus its really hard on the fish

#15 Ā·
Sturgeon fishing has a lot of variables. A rod suitable for deep water fishing with lots of lead is out of place in shallow water like in the estuary. Those short rods aren't worth a hoot for casting either. Best advice I can give is to get the longest rod you can find that'll handle the amount of lead you are casting. All my sturgeon outfits are 8 1/2 or 9 feet but I never cast more than 10 ounces of lead and never fish water deeper than 50 ft. My normal fishing setup is six ounces and fishing less than ten feet of water. A standard heavy salmon rod is perfectly suited for this type of fishing.

#18 Ā·
I got a couple of those and they are great, I also have another lighter set up for the 3rd person but I'm trying to pull that one out of service, because it can't handle the big guys.

So I wanted to add a setup for me that was a bit of an upgrade without going broke and let the others use the 2 Tiger/gt320 rigs I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.