IFish Fishing Forum banner

7.3 turbo powerstroke pros and cons

136K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  Jared Jorgensen 
#1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a used truck and one of the trucks I've been looking at is a 2001-2002 F250/350 7.3 Powerstroke 4 door with about 70k-80k. I don't need a diesel as I don't tow anything that my Wrangler can't handle power wise right now (utility trailer/Smokercraft Alaskan). It would be a daily driver with only about 20 miles a day round trip. I've had my Wrangler for 12 years now and it's just not big enough for hunting and camping with a family anymore. I only put about 7500-9000 miles a year on my vehicles. I want a truck for hauling gear in the bed and not a suv.

As I've never had a diesel rig before, what do I need to take into consideration before purchasing one of these trucks? I'm looking for cost of maintenance, transmission reliability, and common repairs with this motor/truck.

Thanks for the input.

#31 ·
My '97 n 7.3 is current at 103K miles and is still on the stock original motor, and auto trans. I upgraded the trans cooler to a 22klb cooler which adds an additional quart of trans fluid. The truck is a crew cab longbed 4x4, and I haul a 4000lb truck camper, while towing a 5000lb enclosed trailer with ATV's. Although it isn't the most powerful year of diesel Ford put out, it gets the job done.

I purchased it with 56k miles on it back in 2003, and use it mostly as the camp/tow vehicle and only put 4000-7000 mile a year on it anymore. It's paid for, well insured and happy to go whenever it's fired up. :applause:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.