IFish Fishing Forum banner

John Day River bank access.

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pondscum 
#1 ·
I'm looking to find an access road that leads to the river between Albert Philippi Park and McDonald Oregon, I don't mind going further downstream near the Columbia either, just as long as I'm at least 10 miles away from the LePage. I am trying to catch some small mouth and catfish and appreciate any direction from fellow fishermen and women. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
There is a dirt road that acceses the West bank just above the boat camp, little less than half way to the top. I have not been there, but had seen people there years ago as we ran up to the head of the arm. Not sure what water depth in the area would be like though, as the channel up to the narrows runs (or did) along the EAST bank above the boat camp.

Google earth is your friend here, that is where you will see what access you have to the West bank. I would think that you should be aware that rain may make those (Primitive) roads a problem.

Smj

#3 ·
Unless you know someone, it is all private. There are no roads that actually go clear to the river...People drive out a ridge and walk into the river from above. Fox Canyon above the mouth is about the only road into the reservoir and McDonald Crossing is the first one above the falls.

#4 ·
I did not know that. I'd only seen people there from my boat, and seen the roads from Google Earth. Good thing we didn't do that "Dry Camp" thing a couple of years ago, what a dissapointment THAT would have been.

What a shame you can't acces a river bank from established roads, in the desert.

Smj

#8 ·
Fox road is public. There are pit toilets and primative camp sites, no water (at least when I was there). I camped there 2-3 times starting in 2001. I have never done very well on cats there, but some must because I see people fishing there with some regularity. I stay at the boaters park now, and run up to the narrows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.