IFish Fishing Forum banner

whats the best motor ever made???

8K views 72 replies 54 participants last post by  MattPark 
#1 ·
Me and some of my buddies were having a few cold beverages and the topic came up of the best truck motors ever made. IMO i was arguing the 300 inline 6cyl is by far the best motor ever produced by any manufacturer. Ford finally did something right for once. Keep in mind i am NOT a ford guy by any means even though i have a (farm Ferrari 86 f150 2wd 4spd manual) with the 300, I have a 08 dodge quad cab 4wd, and i have a good feeling the ford will out pull my dodge all day long:palm:, granted im not talking long distance but on weight. I will guarantee this in 20 yrs from now my ford will still fire right up, not so sure on the dodge, The best p[art of the 300 inline is that i get 23 mpg on the hwy. i would be curious of what the fellow ifishers have to say.

(diesels need not apply that would not be a fair fight)

#35 ·
-22r count me in, our old celica would not quit
-Mopar 340 because it was a scary quick small block
-BMW the M3 6cyl cause its even scarier quick 333hp in a 6 !
-Chevy 350, because all my old Chevy rigs keep on keeping on

-----------------------------------------------

Can I say worst ?

Oh o.k., well then

It would be the TriumphTR7 motor we had rebuilt and I swear it was still knocking after it was done. :doh:

#40 ·
Me and some of my buddies were having a few cold beverages and the topic came up of the best truck motors ever made. IMO i was arguing the 300 inline 6cyl is by far the best motor ever produced by any manufacturer. Ford finally did something right for once. Keep in mind i am NOT a ford guy by any means even though i have a (farm Ferrari 86 f150 2wd 4spd manual) with the 300, I have a 08 dodge quad cab 4wd, and i have a good feeling the ford will out pull my dodge all day long:palm:, granted im not talking long distance but on weight. I will guarantee this in 20 yrs from now my ford will still fire right up, not so sure on the dodge, The best p[art of the 300 inline is that i get 23 mpg on the hwy. i would be curious of what the fellow ifishers have to say.

(diesels need not apply that would not be a fair fight)[/QUOTE

:twocents::twocents::twocents: Ford 289. Good enough for Indy it's good enough for me:meme::meme::meme::meme::meme:

#44 ·
I had the 235 in-line 6 in my first rig, a '65 Chevy Van was a great motor, but I have to go with Ford's 300, in-line 6. The 300 is kinda like a 30-'06, not to glamorous, but still does the job!!! Unfortunately they aren't making the 300 anymore, thank the good lord the 30-'06 is still going strong!!!!

As for imports, the 22R.

#46 ·
I bought a 76 power wagon about 18 years ago . Got it for 400 bucks guy said it had electrical problem . Got home and started messing with it . Turns out it had a 340 with the six PAC heads . That thing would come in glued at about 3 k rpm . O yea it cost me next to nothing to swap out about all three Componets of the electrical systems :)

#53 ·
As mentioned in one earlier post, those Datsun L series engines. I have seen them coaxed back to life, only to endure years of teenage abuse and neglect, yet still get us to school on Monday. ( Unless we had plans to go to Sauvie's Island.) Too bad you can't get a running beater 510 for $300 anymore

#54 ·
I agree that the 22R (E) is a GREAT engine, but how can you argue with the small block Chevy (pick your cu in). Even Ford guys put them in their hot rods!!:whistle:

#60 ·
I don't get that Toyota 4 cylinder is a truck motor since it isn't in a full size truck. Obviously, many disagree.

#64 ·
I can't agree with the 460 or 351 as great. just too heavy (production motors).
now a small block 302 or Chevy 350 are a testament to durability due to the numbers produced.

The after market has some super strong castings that are designed for serious HP. But, that is a fairly limited production quantity.

The worst ever? Probably the Ford 6.0!

#72 ·
Detroit Diesel Series 60! But the newer DD15's are a close second.
That's funny, I'm a DD fan. I was skeptical when they first came out, but they've won me over. Far better electronics than Cat or Cummins. IMHO, a Cat will outlast a DD, but a DD will spend far less time in the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.