IFish Fishing Forum banner

What food do you take on your boat?

65K views 50 replies 49 participants last post by  SeahawkGirl 
#1 ·
I'm getting tired of the same old bread and meat sandwiches we normally grab at the last minute before heading out on a two or three day fishing trip. I don't know about you, but it gets hard coming up with ideas when planning a trip. I'm thinking more about gear and strategy than food...until I'm in the boat, hungry and minimum 6 miles from the nearest source of cheeseburgers.

What food do you take?

Say you're heading for Buoy 10, out all day trolling, can't really cook and want to eat. It's gotta be easy to eat so no cooking on board. You are leaving before breakfast and staying out till after lunch. What's in the pic-i-nic basket?

Ok, now you're anchoring for upriver brights or springers. You've got a stove and can make things like corned beef hash and eggs, rice-a-roni and eggs (a favorite) for breakfast on the boat. Lunch needs to be easy.

Besides the main course, what snacks do you take? Nuts? Salsa & chips?

Your ideas would be appreciated. :smile:

#28 ·
I'm with you leadlobber! Where's the beer? Don't get me wrong, I don't drink beer while I'm fishing but on the way back in nothing hits the spot better than a bag of Cheetos and a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I tryed to eat a turkey sandwhich once, but with the smell of frozen anchovies on my hands, the sandwhich just didn't taste right.
A Pepsi around 9am with a Baby Ruth is always good too.

#29 ·
Anytime I'm planning on spending a little time anchored up, I always bring my friends, Mr. Heater and frying pan (folding handle). Last trip we had hotdogs on day, brats on day two, and finished up with smoking hot chili and bread. That was for lunch. Hot cocoa and instant oatmeal fill the bill a couple hours a couple hours into the morning :)

#30 ·
We always have sandwiches so this is a good topic... Last year at a tourney on the rogue in the middle of may... We were sitting and all of a sudden you could smell some dang good food!!! A couple guys were sitting grilling a bunch of food at 7 in the morning... kinda funny tho. cause everyone was sitting there looking around

#33 · (Edited)
I don't have a boat that I can take on a long trip but I always have a bunch of those Quaker granola bars, some chicken strips or pizza pockets, candy bars, those Hostess fruit pies, a big bag of sunflower seeds, and a couple liters of some sort of liquid etc, and eat something every hour or so instead of waiting until I'm light headed and famished before I cave in. The way I see it if you do it this way you never have to take time off to eat because you will always be packing something in and you will always have fresh nutrients going into your system so you won't get weak and hungry and distracted. Try this: Go into your kitchen, make a bologna sandwich with a couple pieces of cheap whitebread and some mayonnaise. Then cup it in both hands and squeeze as hard as you can. All you're left with is a ball of goo about the size of a golf ball. This is lunch?? Eat little bits every 20 mins and you're good to go. :D:D

#36 ·
I usually eat very light while fishing. I have plenty of water in the cooler and I bring a couple of breakfast bars and some apples and other fruit. Throw in a little trail mix and you have breakfast and lunch. Trolling all day in my boat isn't what I call hard work and it's hard enought trying to stay in shape with out adding extra lbs from junk food. :)

#39 ·
We take smoked sturgeon or smoked salmon, homeade goose snack sticks, canned albi. We never have anyone go home unhappy. One day out on the Columbia there was a fella grilling Brats, the nice guy he was share with us even had all the condiments, it was great.

#40 ·
Corn Nuts, Powdered donuts, 1-2 lbs. Beef jerky, Sausage, Gatorade, Red Bull, Water, Breakfast bars. Meal time anything from sandwiches Dogs, burgers canned tuna (real canned tuna) . Gonna do the eggs n bacon here soon. Left over pizza is also a favorite. Bring any fried chicken or sunflower seeds and its gonna get ugly....:whistle:

#41 ·
A buddy's wife packed his lunch the other day........ he pulled out Smuckers uncrustables peanut butter n jellies..........Now am hooked. A great quick snackwich.

#43 ·
We pack wraps made with flour tortillas, meat, cheese, lettuce, Ranch. Pickles go good with the wraps. Lots of beef jerkey and pepperoni sticks, too. Something to pop in and keep fishing.

#45 ·
I grew up on sardines (tomatoe, mustard, oil, etc) with sharp Tillamook and crackers. I'm really diggin the new whole wheat Club crackers. Nowadays I also take smoked oysters. They are a new staple. Also, I make very good Kokanee Candy (smoked kokes) so if I have any of that in the freezer I take that instead of the sardines.

When I was a kid my dad and his buddy didn't get really into lunch while hunting so they would just by cans of sardines and crackers and put them behind the seat of the truck. We would take sandwiches in the boat fishing. But, I really got used to eating the sardines, cheese and crackers. I don't eat them anywhere else but hunting and fishing. I CRAVE it when I'm out in the woods and on the water. Talk about habituated.

Mark:cool:

#47 ·
I tend to pack pretty light as far as the snacks, but one of my favorite treats is either venison or elk summer sausage, assiago cheese, and some good wheat crakers.

I make sure to bring plenty of this when offered open seats. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.