IFish Fishing Forum banner

Question about progressive lenses

7K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  bandwcow 
#1 ·
Just got glasses for the first time since I was 18 (I'm almost 50 now). I have a light prescription (just a slight stigmatism in one eye) and needed a bit of help for reading. I went with progressive lenses and I am relatively certain I can get used to all the quirks about them with one exception. The ONLY way I can clearly read my laptop screen (whether on a desk or literally on my lap) is to tilt my head back at what feels like an unnatural angle. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking it's an issue where they just got the reading part of the lens down to low.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has/had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks,
BB

#2 ·
Yes, I had that problem too! I ended up getting a pair of glasses (using my old frames) that are specifically designed for reading at computer height. If you just need reading glasses, then you could always get a pair from the drugstore for reading at the computer.

#3 ·
I tried progressive lenses and hated them. As an engineer I spent the majority of my day sitting in front of a computer so I got a special pair of glasses just for that. Then I threw my vanity out the window and got a regular pair of bifocals. Much better.

#4 ·
I'm just the opposite I like progressive lenses because you can adjust your lenses to the distance instead of moving in to just the right spot. If your having to tilt your head back to see perhaps you can make a small spacer to raise your glasses up slightly to see better or as mentioned above special glasses for your computer.

#9 ·
Took a while but I don't even notice them anymore. The only time they are a bother is if the lighting is poor and I am trying read fine print on a gear part.
:yeahthat: same for me. took awhile but now I don't even notice them. My head just tilts up or down as needed out of habit and I don't even notice it.

#7 ·
I have two pairs or glasses, One specifically for sitting in front of the PC at work most of the day. They are adjusted for the distance I sit from the screen. For some reason, most optometrists try to set it at about 18" which doesn't work for me.

I got tired of walking around without glasses and having to put some on just to read so I got bifocals. I use those everywhere but at work in front of the PC.

The progressives have too small of a sweet spot and I don't like the tunnel vision they give me.

#8 ·
Hmmm, interesting responses, quite a range as I somewhat expected. I did a simple experiment; raised the glasses up just a bit when looking at a natural position at my monitor. Instantly came into focus. I wonder if it's a simple nose pad adjustment? Off to Costco!

I did some research on the net and it indicated that most opticians do a poor job of adjusting them, hopefully that's all it is.

BB

#10 ·
You lucky Bifocal wearers, Try, Trifocals with lines. It will drive you crazy.:twocents:

The real thing I hate about Bifocals or Trifocals is out hunting, you can not see the ground in front of you like you should and you are always stumbling. I don't wear my Trifocals at all out hunting or fishing just carry a pair of Dollar Tree reading glasses in case I have to see up close at arms length or closer. 99% of the time I don't even use my glasses even at the computer.

DAB

#12 ·
You lucky Bifocal wearers, Try, Trifocals with lines. It will drive you crazy.:twocents:

The real thing I hate about Bifocals or Trifocals is out hunting, you can not see the ground in front of you like you should and you are always stumbling. I don't wear my Trifocals at all out hunting or fishing just carry a pair of Dollar Tree reading glasses in case I have to see up close at arms length or closer. 99% of the time I don't even use my glasses even at the computer.

DAB
You should see about progressive lenses. I have trifocals with no lines and after a short getting use to period no problems. I wear mine hunting and have not had any issues.

#11 ·
Had them for years. At first no problem. Couple times they didn't get them in the spot on the lens. Had to send them back. (Costco). Never a problem. Could be also they aren't set to your face just right. Worst ones I ever had were a place in the mall. Mine are tri and no problem at all.

#13 ·
Make sure when you go do this that the doctor knows what you do with the glasses. They can customize to your exact needs.

I got the progressive lenses in three strengths. One for detail and reading, one for programming and computer and one for walking around. All in tyhe same lenses. It takes a while to get used to using the right part of the lens.

I totally depend on the glasses now as I spend alot of time reading and staring at computer screens.

Next time I think I'll ask for the reading prescription at the top and bottom of the lens. That way I can focus close when I am under something looking up at whatever made it quit working right.

#14 ·
I had laser surgery about 15 years ago for extreme near sightedness. went from 20/400 to 20/15 but not able to read without magnification. Started at 1.5 and now, at age 62, 2.5. I always thought that my 8th grade teacher looked totally dorky with that cord and those glasses dangling on her chest. Now I pull that cord over my thinning hair in the morning, and slide it off before bed. I also understand why Mrs Laython didn't care what people thought- at some point in one's life function trumps vanity:flag2:

#15 ·
Just one of the annoyances of the progressive lenses for me is I do a lot of reading. Most people scan the words with their eyes. With progressive lenses you have to scan the words by either moving the book or moving your head.

I actually like my lineless bifocals.

#16 ·
Ive worn bifocals for about 10 years, and am pretty used to them. I have a special pair for my desk, with the top half set for computer screen distance, and the bottom lens for the desktop - work great. I just tried progressive lenses, and absolutely hate them - I was constantly adjusting my neck to get the right focus, and they never got comfortable - tossed them and went back to the bifocals

#17 ·
I've been wearing them for the past 10+ years & for the most part I like them for most things but I have never used a laptop so the distance to my monitor is enough to be able to use the distance portion.
If you are a shooter then you may want to get a pair of single vision but try first 'cause some of us do alright with the progressives.:twocents:

#18 ·
I have progressive lens for years and find it a mix bag.
I gave up trying to do reading with them - I do use them to read when I do not have my reading glasses with me and general purpose.

On the computer - get computer/ office glasses which give you the ability to do more office work and computer work.

Recommendation - Do not get your regular glasses and computer glasses with the same frame. Do not know how many times I left with the wrong glasses.

#19 ·
I've been an Optician for 40 years, and I can tell you your problem is a common one. There could be a number of things involved. First of all, there are something like 1500 progressive lens designs on the market and they are not all good. Next, they need to be positioned correctly in front of your eyes. If the reading area is fit a little low, it can make the computer problem more noticeable. Assuming you have a modern lens design, and they are fit properly, try re-positioning your screen a little lower if possible, or raise your chair a bit. Another common solution is to have a pair of dedicated computer glasses made. Try looking in the distance and rock your head back to see how far you can tilt your head without blurring your distance vision. If you can tilt it back quite a ways before noticing the blur, you might have your Optician adjust your glasses to fit a bit higher on your nose. From your description, it sounds to me like they may have been fit, or are sitting a little too low as you suggested

People have mixed experiences with progressive lenses because of these factors. With the best free-form progressive lenses that have been properly fit, success and satisfaction is very high. In our practice it's something like 97%

#20 ·
Wow, I was out hunting this afternoon (have a Willy tag). Overall, not too good. I was getting used to them but walking around in the woods was quite challenging. Going from looking far to down in front of me was the worst; I almost fell a few times because of it. Also, turning my head and looking far was not easy; lots of blurring. After I got heated up from walking, had to take them off due to constant fogging. Overall, just not a good experience but I'm going to give it a try.

I do think that raising them a bit (on my nose) would help.

BB

#21 ·
I have had progressives for years. Make sure they are made and fit correctly because they can and do mess the positioning of the magnification up. Once they are right you will know and they work great. Get a pair of single vision lens glasses for walking in the woods and hunting. It makes all the difference in the world on your peripheral vision and depth perception which makes it hard to step over, around, and down etc.... You also have to turn your head with progressives. Another important thing is progressives can do some crazy stuff to you crosshairs as splitting them up, offsetting them, etc....be doggone sure you have done some shooting with them on or use your single lens glasses.

#24 ·
When I first got mine, I about got sick walking to the car for the drive home! Next day I was good to go, just had to throw the right switches in my brain I guess. I have had no problems hunting with them.

#26 ·
biederboat, love my progressives. Worn now for a number of years. I happen to be one of the aged group on this sight. And I still sits at a computer a lot. Have your nose pieces adjusted tighter so your glasses sit higher. No need to add additional nose pads. Would not know what to do without progressives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.