IFish Fishing Forum banner

Found: Plunking rig

12K views 57 replies 42 participants last post by  flounder pounder 
#1 Ā·
I found this plunking rig the other day and I figured that I should give the owner an opportunity to claim it before springer season hits its peak. It may unfortunately only be half (or less) of your rig because it was broken off with only four hooks attached, I don't know how many were in the whole setup.

I don't know how it broke since the main "line" is roughly 1000# breaking strength and the leader "line" was probably 500# breaking strength. Note: the eagle claw 11/0 is a solid hook.... perfect plunkin size.

Excellent craftsmanship on the individual "leaders" somebody must've really taken their time, or maybe they just have a lot of experience with this kind of set up.

I will also return the handy dandy "plunkin rock" (not available in stores)

See less See more
#6 Ā·
Kind of looks more like a trotline like they often use for catfish in the south than it does a a plunking setup. I didn't think those were legal in the NW. In Oregon 3 hooks is the max number of hooks you can use for salmon. Not sure what the regs are where you found it but it sure doesn't seem like a rig someone would be using unless they were up to no good?

#23 Ā·
Grew up in the south. Our trotlines were going out on the river and hanging liver or worm set ups from a tree, we would slap the tree with a paddle before aproaching to make sure there were no snakes near by...cause this was usualy done at night. We would put reflective tape with our name and number, day, and time that we set it, let it sit for about 2-4 hrs before checking them. Caught some BIG cats that way. My biggest was 65lbs. Always with only one hook setup....nothing like that rig at all.

#9 Ā·
The top end that busted off had a float/marker on it, Im pretty sure. They are like trot lines and i have seen these before well ones like them just mad out of different materials out of the Columbia around Washougal.

#11 Ā·
A boat brought on in to Washougal to give to the gammies. I guess they called ahead and made an appointment.:wink:

The gammie said they are finding more of them in the Columbia.

The gammie said it is Russians setting trot lines for sturgeon. Similar to how they destroyed their own fishery.

They pulled one near the airport that had about 100 hooks on it. Several undersize sturgeon, dead and alive.

#19 Ā·
A boat brought on in to Washougal to give to the gammies. I guess they called ahead and made an appointment.:wink:

The gammie said they are finding more of them in the Columbia.

The gammie said it is Russians setting trot lines for sturgeon. Similar to how they destroyed their own fishery.
We just use gill nets.:whistle:

They pulled one near the airport that had about 100 hooks on it. Several undersize sturgeon, dead and alive.
Do the gammies have evidence or have they convicted someone for using one of these setups that was Russian? Just not right to point a finger at a specific race just because of some gut instinct.

Not saying that the rig is legal and an ethnical way to fish. Just don't want to be that one foreigner boat out in the river getting my boat and contents shaken down because I'm of a different background.

#17 Ā·
Wow! Bet that was "fun" to reel in too!? Makes ya wonder just how many of those are really out there in our river. Bet it's tough reeling it in with 4 sturg on it too. What kind of "rod" would a guy use? Doesn't look too "American" to me.
gotZem!!!:flag2:

#20 Ā·
that is a Trot line. We used similar ones make out of heavy duty kite string when I lived in Iowa was 13yrs old, we used to catch a lot of channel, and flathead cat's using those. We would only use about 50' and tie around 10 hooks off of it, at the end we used a rock not that big in the pic tied to an end so we could throw it from the bank. for bait we used chicken livers left in the sun for a day or two and tie the other end to a tree branch on the bank. checked it daily.

#21 Ā·
Pretty common practice for catfish in some parts of the country for sure... just not here, and sure as heck aint being set for catfish in the CR. Obviously for sturgeon poaching in this context. I see Serg's point and I dont think it matters what race you are, probably didnt need to go there...

The lines are usually anchored on both ends, with a tag line and a float, and dropped from a boat and left to fish for awhile. There's a good chance theres more of that one out there... and where theres one, there will be more.

#29 Ā·
OK, here's a more recent one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkE6hm_M2jg . You don't have to look far in Google to find these.

Serg, I'm not tarring all russian folks, and not those of russian descent per se. However, there is a LOT of history in the Portland and Seattle area of old russians and other east europeans showing a fairly casual attitude towards game regulations. I've lived in the area all my life, and these reports are common.

The gamie knows whereof he/she speaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.