IFish Fishing Forum banner

What is the perfect rain gear for hunting

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  uptracker 
#1 ·
If you were designing some rain gear for the west coast hunter what would you need?? I want something I can hike in and not sweat to death in??

For me I want some lite weight breathable gear with pit zips and thigh zips on the pants with a internal gaitor so water can't get into into my socks. I want a strechable material for climbing.
I would also want a rain gear light enough for packing in a back pack. Light weight and small. Camo in the rain can be basic???

Give me your thoughts:idea:

#2 · (Edited)
What a good question ehunter.

I have tried many combinations. All have advantages and disadvantages.

Your internal gator requirement goes over the top, in my book.. maybe someone has an idea for this...

I have several camo suits made of fleece with gortex lining. They get very heavy when wet, and are too hot to hike in.

I would have to say my favorite, most comfortable rain gear coat is made by the US military. The new military gortex coat is breathable, lightweight, camo for hunting, and has pit zips. Just layer underneath for more warmth..

Then for pants I wear fleece(no lining or gortex) with gators over boats. The wrap-a-round outer gators add warmth to my feet while keeping moisture and snow out of my boots. The fleece pants are comfy to wear, strechable, keep me warm even when wet, but do not wear me out when hiking. Plus the fleece pants dry out quickly..

Looking forward to hearing what others have found to work for them.

#4 ·
I've got a pair of Browning Hydrofleece Pro Gaiter pants and they seem to be what you are looking for. Goretex, built in gaiters, thigh zippers, breathable, and fairly quiet. I found them last year on the sale rack at Sportsman's. The only Hydrofleece Jacket I have found was insulated and I want the non-insulated model. Let us know what you find or if you start producing this new perfect rain gear, Let me be first on the list!

#5 ·
Water-proof, Light weight, and strong are available. The stuff about breathable is BS if you are moving to the point where your breathing is above normal. the more your lungs work the more your skin produces moisture. The breathing raingear is a myth I'd like to have the Myth Busters address.

For wet Oregon Hunting my vote is for Helly Hansen Impertech or a light weight grundens. Getting the pants that are bib's make a difference. Nothing worse than pants that keep slipping down. Also if you are hunting without a pack belted on your hips the bibs help allow the moisture to escape. Rain stops and they are real light to carry.

I'm keeping an eye out for any other options but this is what I now like. Oh and it is very quiet to move in.

#6 ·
"Perfect" rain gear does not exsist IMHO. But the best stuff I've found has been of the mountaineering varity. I always look for pit zips in the jacket and side zips for the pants as the are gonna give you the best ventilation while you are moving. And the side zips are nice for taking the pants on and off without taking your boots off. I also look for the thinner waterproof fabrics, like the goretex 3ply, or XCR. Besides being lighter and more packable, it seems to breath the best as well. If you want stretchable look at some of the soft shell materials, but you are going to trade the stretch for a little extra weight and bulk. As far as camo, at least for big game hunting with a rifle or muzzleloader, I figure I'm good with greens, browns or blacks. And stay away from the blues and purples as I'm told they are more visable to deer and elk. I only really worry about camo with waterfowl and predator hunting.

#7 · (Edited)
Quaka Waka I am in agree ment with you 100% I wonder when the hunting world will come around. I am going to look into a soft shell jacket I already wear the REI soft shell pants and love them they work well in showers dry fast and breath well and cut the wind. Plus they stretch when climbing. Along with a pair of gaitors. A XCR soft shell might be the ticket for early season deer and elk.

Steven B your right regarding breathability but if they made thigh vents and pit zips that would go along way towards helping the hiking hunters. Why can't they make rain pants with articulated (sp) knees, gussted crotch for good movement. High back pants like a snow pant. You can get hiking pants with all that stuff. Some of it is not too quite, but as soft shell technoloy improves it will get better.

On the coats I love the idea that Rivers west came up with a high collar to keep the rain out of your shoulders if your not wearing the hood. I hate to wear a hood it blocks my hearing but my camo jackets seem to soak up the water along the shoulders when the hood is down...I prefer a gortex boony hat.

bajadan2000 I have been toying with that idea in all honestly. I think that the hunting clothing mfg are keyed into the tree hunters on the East Coast and do look out for elk hunters out here or even hikers or hunters:) On another hunting forum a lot of the boys in the rockies mentioned wearing hiking or mountaining clothing as the best choice. I think neutral colors will work fine in the rain... You mentioned the new military gortex coat is breathable, lightweight, camo for hunting, and has pit zips. Is it straight gortex or nylon on the out side?? How quite is it??

Thanks guys

#20 · (Edited)
bajadan2000 I have been toying with that idea in all honestly. You mentioned the new military gortex coat is breathable, lightweight, camo for hunting, and has pit zips. Is it straight gortex or nylon on the out side?? How quite is it??

Ed, after reading your question, I must admit, I am not sure if the military jacket has gortex.

First, this jacket was a gift from a close relative in the service, I am not sure of the material composition. It is fairly quite.

If it does have gortex, it must be a super new version, here is why. I have washed this jacket after every trip. I like this military jacket so much that I even wear it salt water fishing, as well as any land activity, so it gets washed alot.

It is the only breathable rain gear that I have washed that did not leak after several washings. This jacket never leaks

Now back to your question. If you are hiking 8 miles a day, not sure there is a way to stay dry. When I was in super shape in my early 20's I might have been able to hike 8 miles without sweating. Now I am lucking to hike a mile before I am soaked from sweat.

Dan

#11 ·
Hey there ehunter.

Yeah! I think that vents are a great idea. It's too bad that having any kind of backpack on seems to mess up the airflow. I carry a pack even if I'm going out for 10 minutes to check on a buckrub.:redface: OK not really.

In looking at what is out there for staying dry I think talking to Adventure Outfitters would help. They seem to have a lot of in put and know what is out there.

http://www.yellowbook.com/Listings/...ries:+binoculars+&+telescopes&WH=OR&CT=3&AN=0

I am a fan of their back pack for several reasons. but they also had some camo gortex type raingear that I think had a good price tag. The brand is Pelle.

#12 ·
In winter I use Cabelas Dry Plus fleece bibs and parka and they work great for pouring down rain when it's almost cold enough to be snow and they work great in snow as well. They are way to hot for other parts of the season though so I only wear them during late archery deer season and predator calling season. I still haven't found something I like for the warmer times of the year though. Until I do I'll stick with my Marine Corps. gortex stuff it keeps me dry even though I sweat like crazy in it.

#13 ·
Thanks guys I think that there is a need for 2 types of rain gear as cornbread noted. My problem is raining and 60 to 65 degrees. Most of the rain gear I have then is just to hot, but I don't like to hunt in 8 hours of wet skin either. For really cold rain I have some decent rain gear that works and keeps me dry. I really want a light weight small easy to pack simple rain gear to cut the wind and most of the moisture on those early fall rain storms when it is still warm out... Steven I agree wearing a pack over a rain coat is going to keep my back pretty warm. We do not just do a mile hike when we are elk hunting during last archery season we averaged almost 8 miles a day last fall. Some days more some days less. So we hike a lot and it is hard to dress right when you are hiking that far. When I was younger I didn't care as much about being dry now that I am older and the metabolism has slowed down I get chilled faster. There is no perfect rain gear I know but I keep looking..:)

#14 ·
I've been searching around for a while too and everybody has shot down my ideas. A few were pleased with Gamehide and a few were not. A few were pleased with Rivers West and a few were not. I'm just waiting until Walmart gets there Spring stuff in and I'm buying a new set of swim trunks since I can't seem to find anything that doesn't leak. I just hope they have camo trunks!

#15 ·
Here's one that I would not purchase again: an ROG wetlands camo jacket w/ hood. VERY loud, and you get steamed on the inside even with little to no activity. Also the camo pattern is far too bright for any terrain I have hunted ducks in.
Sorry I don't have any positive input to this thread.. wish I did.

#16 ·
Hey guys, try this jacket made by Red Ledge:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=3192609

It's only $40. You can't go wrong. If you try it and don't like it for hunting it'll still work for anything else. I've got a couple of them. Lightweight and 100% waterproof. It's popular with backpackers. Not the quietest, but in a heavy rain who really needs the quietest jacket out there? They also have pants to match.

Another very good and comfortable jacket to consider is the Helly Hansen Impertech. Lightweight and the material stretches. Maybe it's already been mentioned, I don't know, I didn't read all the posts.

#17 ·
I agree there isn't a perfect rain gear for this area. I have been wearing cableas MT050 the past few seasons and I am happy with it, does it leak sometimes?yes. But if I make sure it is washed in Nicwax(sp?) each season it does a real good job for the emost part and is easily packed up small and straped to the outside of my pack. Also make sure the pockets are zipped up, a lot of water can get in that way. I forget to do that once in awhile and end up with wet legs. I also wear gators and have been known to put a towel around my neck because I hate hoods and that keeps a lot of moisture from going down my neck or chest. .

#21 ·
My best jacket so far is a Drake early season jacket. Its light, has pit vents, a hood that folds into the collar, its camo, and it keeps me dry.

Im still working on the pants but for now its fleece and gators. I can live with damp legs.

#23 ·
I've said it before on similar posts, but I really like my gamehide jacket and pants. The only thing that has leaked is the jacket and thats only because I had some ambers for the camp fire land on my sleave and they left a couple of pin holes. Other than that they've been great. 2 seasons now and no coplaints. They are light and compact and you can just layer accordingly. I am thinking of Cabelas DryPlus fleece so I can can get the mossy oak brush patern. I haven't read of any coplaints about that stuff, unlike riverswest.

#24 ·
I am thinking of Cabelas DryPlus fleece so I can can get the mossy oak brush patern. I haven't read of any coplaints about that stuff, unlike riverswest.
That is what I have, it has treated me very well. Get the unisulated top and pants unless you are going to be in very cold conditions. I only wear a tee shirt with the top while hunting elk here on the westside for elk in November. During heavy rain and while exerting effort you will feel clammy and maybe wet, but once you stop and cool down you will find that you are actually still dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.