IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wright & Mcgill steelhead rods

15K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Mojo 
#1 ·
Anybody ever fish with Wright & Mcgill steelie/salmon rods, or know somebody who does? Do they stand up, are they quality rods, likes, dislikes... I saw the rod review in salmom&steelhead journal and it got good marks, but just wanted some other rod owner opinions....

#3 ·
I have two. One Is a 9ft 8-12 that i use for steelhead drift fishing. The other is 9ft 15-40 that I use for my salmon bobber rod. I love them both. The handles are the most comfortable I have ever seen.

#4 ·
Oh, the handle is amazingly comfortable. For someone with any problems with their hands, these are so nice to hold. Mine is 11.5ft, I like it. Diamondfish uses them in his boat, and they handled well for me fishin in Tbay. Kevlar butt makes em strong.

#7 ·
I can honestly say, after using a broad spectrum of rods, the rod manufacturer of choice is W&M. A quality rod, a good warranty and great customer service. Wright and McGill is taking a serious bite out of the market on the Kenai River. I would suspect that by this summer about 50% of the rods will be W&M.

Beyond their rods, they make a stellar spinning reel as well, the Sabalos. With 9 bearings, well built and designed, I mean wow, these are some nice reels, with smooth drags.

I use the W&M 8'6, 9'0, 10'0 for pulling herring, the 10'6 for plugs, and I just got some new 11'6" for jig fishing. Quality and piece of mind, these rods have never failed me. People don't sell rods, good rods sell themselves.

#8 ·
received one of these rods from a guide friend who fishes them.

First hooks set

results from first hook set

I was using model WME LDR 90S-2
9' 6-10# rating

I was alittle put off by the handle at first but after some quality time in my hands, this rod fished like a dream. I was making very long casts with a #2 spinner and covering water without any worry of spooking fish.

Rob Brown

#9 ·
I assume you're talking about their current offerings, but my first decent rods were their old fiberglass models back in the 70s. Got my first salmon and steelhead on one; it's "retired" now having seen better days, but still got it. I figure they must be doing something right to remain in business, with the "new kids on the block" like Lamiglas & Loomis, after all these years.

#10 ·
Fisherman's Marine is a Wright & McGill dealer, I think you will be pleasantly suprised of the quality of the rod for the price. Wright and McGill now manufactures the North X Northwest rod series for Joes. Same quality W&M rod, with North X Northwest on it.

#11 ·
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, I was going to ask the same question. I just bought an 8'6" HDR 86C-2. It is rated 10-17lb line weight. Should be good for most Steelhead fishing and Springers? Need thoughts on using it for Fall Chinook etc. BTW it listed for $169.oo. Minus 75% discount,$42.49 out the door:dance:.

#13 ·
I fish the WME HDR 86C-2 8'6" 10-17 for Silvers in August, and let me be the first to tell you, you get into some monster kings as well. So to answer your qestion, yes they will handle a Fall Chinook. These are available in both spinning and casting.

I plan to fish steelhead on a 11'6" 8-12# with jigs, these are new this year, and I think W&M will have some on hand at the PNW Sportsman Show.

#15 ·
The Big Horn Guide Bibs and Wading Jacket are a must have item for the northwest rain. A couple cool features of the bibs, is they can easily be converted to pants, and they have a back support system. They are what I use and they are great. The best inovation W&M has come up with is putting pockets on the Bibs and Jacket where you need them....accessable.

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/index.php?fuseaction=home.main&lev1=product&lev2=outWear
I won't be on the water without mine.

#19 ·

W&M wraps Kevlar under the foregrip to about 10" up the rod depending on the model.

I believe this reduces the stress on the rod while in the rod holder.

This is a pic of the 10'6' ........lots of backbone, and good flex, this rod has handled fish on the Kenai in excess of 60#, without problem.

I've been very interested in these rods since a guide buddy put one in my hands on the Kenai last summer. My trusted Loomis SAR1265 now has some serious competition.

The problem with W&M is distribution. In WA state the website lists a whole string GI Joe's as their dealers, but not one of the Joe's stores that I've visited or called over the past couple months knows much about these rods, and none were in stock.
Fishermans Marine has them in stock, stop by and check them out. Joes does have them, they are made by W&M and sold under the Joes name North X Northwest.

#17 ·
I have 4 of them, including one of their sturgeon rods. I'll be buying 3 more sturgeon rods soon, as they flat out rule the oversized.

The salmon and steelhead rods are the best bang for the buck available hands down. They also make some great fly rods...and no I'm not sponsored by them. I just really like the quality and price.

#18 ·
I've been very interested in these rods since a guide buddy put one in my hands on the Kenai last summer. My trusted Loomis SAR1265 now has some serious competition.

The problem with W&M is distribution. In WA state the website lists a whole string GI Joe's as their dealers, but not one of the Joe's stores that I've visited or called over the past couple months knows much about these rods, and none were in stock.

Whattup dawg? :bricks:

Maybe they need a lesson in supply chain management.

#20 ·
W&R also makes North by Northwest rods for Joes. I bought an 8# fly rod, 4 piece and it casts great!. It has the WRT & MGL logo on it. Silly me... I bought it the day Joe's had a 30% off sale a few weeks ago. Came with a beautiful rod sock and N by NW rod case.

#21 ·
I just looked at the North X rods at the Kennewick Joes, and they don't have those cool handles that the othe W&M rods have. I also asked the guy at the tackle counter if the North X blanks came from W&M and he just shrugged and said he didn't know. Seems like they would want to know who makes their "house brand" rods.

#25 ·
I just looked at the North X rods at the Kennewick Joes, and they don't have those cool handles that the othe W&M rods have. I also asked the guy at the tackle counter if the North X blanks came from W&M and he just shrugged and said he didn't know. Seems like they would want to know who makes their "house brand" rods.
I can assure you the Joes North X Northwest rods are made by Wright & McGill

#23 ·
Well, I've got an 8 1/2-ft. Grainger Steelie and an 8 1/2-ft. Powerlight, both of which date from about 1968-1971, both in the dreaded "yellow (well, amber) fiberglass. Guides and windings have been replaced at least once. They still fish.

And an 8-1/2-foot, 7-wt. fly rod, a bit older than both of those, which I still like to haul out to teach fly casting to kids, as it just feels better and easier to learn with than my newer-fangled graphite things.

Oh, sorry, maybe this wasn't exactly pertinent to the question you were asking. :grin:

#24 ·
I have one fo the 9' 15-40 rods and absolutely love it! I fished it at bouy 10 this year. I have to say that the cork handle is the most comfortable that I have ever used. I would highly recommend W&M rods to anyone. I will be purchasing more of them in the future.

#27 ·
Just to keep the playing field straight here, the North X Northwest Rods at Joes are made by Wright & McGill. About 2 or less years ago W&M signed the contract with GI Joes to build the rods, after the contract with W.W. Griggs expired.

There may be some old inventory floating around some stores that are W.W. Griggs made rods, but the truth of the matter is simple, W&M has the sole contract with Joes for the manufacture of North x Northwest Rods, this coming from W&M directly tonight.

To determine if you are purchasing a W&M built North X Northwest rod, is simple the model of the rod will start with NNW-WME-then whatever model of rod it is. Like I said there may be some old inventory floating around at various Joes locations.

FYI they are the Root Beer colored rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.