IFish Fishing Forum banner

OR-7 crosses CA border

25K views 89 replies 41 participants last post by  Ol Sage 
#1 ·
The wolf finally crossed into CA...good riddens don't let the door hit you on the way out!

#23 ·
I know of one i found last monday 5 miles in behind a gated road, i will generalize and say south skamania county...

#4 ·
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A lone gray wolf has wandered across the Oregon border into California in what wildlife officials hailed Thursday as the historic return of a species not seen in the state in more than 80 years.

Biologists tracked the wolf's position to a few miles south of the state line in Siskiyou County, the California Department of Fish and Game said.

A global positioning system collar was placed on the wolf in February. Since then, the 2½-year-old male has wandered more than 300 miles from its original location. Its movement into California was widely anticipated as it approached the border just before Christmas.

"Whether one is for it or against it, the entry of this lone wolf into California is an historic event," said Department of Fish and Game Director Charlton H. Bonham, acknowledging the debate over the spread of wolves in the western U.S.

The GPS data put the wolf in California as of Wednesday. Officials said they would only provide general information about its location, since gray wolves in California are designated a federally endangered species.

The last confirmed wild gray wolf in California was killed in 1924 by a trapper protecting livestock. Conflict between wolves and ranchers across the West remains a key point of tension as reintroduction efforts in recent decades have led to the species' spread.

Biologists said they don't know if the wolf will remain in California or wander back to Oregon or on to Nevada. They said the wide wandering from its pack in Oregon was typical behavior for a young male wolf.

The fish and game department expects other wolves to arrive in California at some point as part of a slow wolf migration linked to the 1995 introduction of a Canadian gray wolf pack to Idaho and areas around Yellowstone National Park. Wolves first re-entered Oregon in 1999.

Multiple wolves in California could lead to new packs becoming established, or they could simply wander on.

"If the gray wolf does establish a population in California, there will be much more work to do here," Bonham said.

While the wolves in California will be under federal protection, state regulators said they have no wolf management plan and no intention to actively reintroduce the animals to the state.

#49 ·
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A lone gray wolf has wandered across the Oregon border into California in what wildlife officials hailed Thursday as the historic return of a species not seen in the state in more than 80 years.

Biologists tracked the wolf's position to a few miles south of the state line in Siskiyou County, the California Department of Fish and Game said.

A global positioning system collar was placed on the wolf in February. Since then, the 2½-year-old male has wandered more than 300 miles from its original location. Its movement into California was widely anticipated as it approached the border just before Christmas.

"Whether one is for it or against it, the entry of this lone wolf into California is an historic event," said Department of Fish and Game Director Charlton H. Bonham, acknowledging the debate over the spread of wolves in the western U.S.

The GPS data put the wolf in California as of Wednesday. Officials said they would only provide general information about its location, since gray wolves in California are designated a federally endangered species.

The last confirmed wild gray wolf in California was killed in 1924 by a trapper protecting livestock. Conflict between wolves and ranchers across the West remains a key point of tension as reintroduction efforts in recent decades have led to the species' spread.

Biologists said they don't know if the wolf will remain in California or wander back to Oregon or on to Nevada. They said the wide wandering from its pack in Oregon was typical behavior for a young male wolf.

The fish and game department expects other wolves to arrive in California at some point as part of a slow wolf migration linked to the 1995 introduction of a Canadian gray wolf pack to Idaho and areas around Yellowstone National Park. Wolves first re-entered Oregon in 1999.

Multiple wolves in California could lead to new packs becoming established, or they could simply wander on.

"If the gray wolf does establish a population in California, there will be much more work to do here," Bonham said.

While the wolves in California will be under federal protection, state regulators said they have no wolf management plan and no intention to actively reintroduce the animals to the state.
Wandered or took a helicopter ride???????????

#14 ·
Technology is amazing, nov.14 in n.cal. who is getting paid to PUSH/track/rangeride/give accurate timely GPS coords. or does this all add up in a timely order from 300mi. or 700mi. Crater lake K falls dates and times. Between the THREE'S in charge, the NEWS, and NETT (5) total where does the real truth lie??????? IS it OR-7 catch up and see!!! l<>l

#16 ·
If CA is so excited for one wolf why don't we offer to trap all the wolves that come from Oregon and haul them to CA. I would be happy to volunteer:)

#26 ·
And finds an "alternant lifestyle" Rottweiler to shack up with.

Even though OR-7 passed through a friends sheep ranch west of Fort Klamath a few weeks ago he has been well behaved and I think it's interesting to have a wolf in Klamath County again. I want to see my second Oregon wolf, the last one I saw in the upper basin/Klamath County was on the Sycan in the late 50's. I wouldn't mind LEGALY trapping wolves again too. We went out last week looking for tracks (and trying to call in a lion) but I think we are too far north for OR-7 now.

#32 ·
The article does not specify but I suspect it's probably total miles traveled. ;) If you think about it, there are probably wolves, coyotes, etc., that travel that many miles and more without ever leaving their home territory.

E

#37 ·
OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

A young gray wolf's search for a mate apparently won't take him to the northern Nevada desert where the annual Burning Man festival is staged.

The wolf known as OR-7 came within 15 miles of the Nevada line near Susanville, Calif., early last week before he decided to head back west away from the nation's most arid state, said Mark Stopher, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. It had been headed toward the Black Rock Desert where the eclectic art and music festival is held each summer, wildlife officials said. ...................

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2012/01/wolf_or-7_turns_back_from_nort.html

#39 ·
Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

I have no doubt he'll end up dead (natural causes or otherwise) before mating.
I hope not, he is in an area that would be good for wolves, the south Warner Mountains. If he heads north again it's only 50 or so miles from where I saw the wolf in the late 50s. The Sycan/Gearhardt area would be another good place to let a small number of woves get established.

OR-7 has been a well behaved animal so far. No reported livestock killed when he was in the Fort Klamath Area, a part of Klamath County that has a lot of cattle. It even passed thru a friends sheep ranch without killing any stock.

More wolves will follow OR-7 scent trail soon.

#40 ·
Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

I hope not, he is in an area that would be good for wolves, the south Warner Mountains. If he heads north again it's only 50 or so miles from where I saw the wolf in the late 50s. The Sycan/Gearhardt area would be another good place to let a small number of woves get established.

OR-7 has been a well behaved animal so far. No reported livestock killed when he was in the Fort Klamath Area, a part of Klamath County that has a lot of cattle. It even passed thru a friends sheep ranch without killing any stock.

More wolves will follow OR-7 scent trail soon.
Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't. He may have been too focused on traveling to hunt much at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.