IFish Fishing Forum banner

cat pooping in garden/flower bed, help!

8K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  Fishthewild 
#1 ·
Ok my cats are going number 2 in our garden and flower beds, we live out in the country with hundreds of acres around us and they have to go in there. I guess they do look like big litter boxes, but still. How would you get them to stop? I remeber as a kids my grandparents making me clean the garden and flower beds up and putting down chicken wire and then putting a thin layer of dirt over it to stop the cats. Only problem is I dont remeber if it worked. LOL
What has worked for you guys? Our cats are outside 24/7 so I cant be out there to stop them. Advice needed.....
Thanks
CW

#5 ·
Ok my cats are going number 2 in our garden and flower beds, we live out in the country with hundreds of acres around us and they have to go in there. I guess they do look like big litter boxes, but still. How would you get them to stop? I remeber as a kids my grandparents making me clean the garden and flower beds up and putting down chicken wire and then putting a thin layer of dirt over it to stop the cats. Only problem is I dont remeber if it worked. LOL
What has worked for you guys? Our cats are outside 24/7 so I cant be out there to stop them. Advice needed.....
Thanks
CW

Mouse traps, lots and lots of mouse traps! I put a least a 100 in and around my flower beds when the neighbors cats decided to use them as their litter box. Since they mostly went under the eves where it was dry I just set them up in those areas. Every once in a while a trap would end up out in the road or drive way. After a few months they quit coming over to play.

#8 ·
I will try the cayenne pepper/red pepper flakes. thanks
I and the rest of the familey like the cats so there staying, mouse traps is a no go because I have young kids (but would that help stop the dogs from eating the poop LOL. thanks guys.
CW

#13 · (Edited)
Mouse traps are extremely cruel, and totally uncalled for
One must realize they are just being a cat
If you buried yours all the time wouldn't you find a place that's easy to dig
Cayenne pepper works great and just gives them a bad taste with no permanent injury
Trying to get the dogs to stop eating the cat's waste is about impossible
A freind of mine said he cured the problem by spreading used coffee grounds and the dogs would get the grounds in their nose when they started sniffing around
It irritates their sinuses and they go somewhere else to sniff
It doesn't hurt them they just sneeze and get rid of the grounds

GOOD LUCK

#14 ·
No ! a rat trap would be cruel and uncalled for, and when you say, cats are just being cats, yep lazy. What helps with unwanted cats in a garden is carpet tack strips:backlaugh:. I like cats, I just don't like them pooping and spraying eevrywhere:flowered:.

Fishalot

#15 ·
Another vote for cayenne pepper. Winco has it in the bulk foods section and it's cheap. Liberally sprinkle some on the area and your troubles are over. It's never harmed the plants where we've used it and lasts quite a while.

#17 ·
A friend has used Contec Scarecrow Motion Sensor Sprinklers with great success. They run off of an optic/thermal sensor and will work day or night. When the cat gets within a preset range they kick on loudly and spray the area with an impact sprinkler. The sound scares the cats and they'll get a nice little shower (which as we all know they hate) at the same time. My friend got great satisfaction listening to it kick on every 15 minutes the first night, every hour the second night, and once the third night. He just leaves it in his garden on an elevated stand so that all the neighborhood kittys can see it. I don't think he's had a battery in it for a year or more but it's still standing guard.

They aren't cheap at about $50, but they work for cats, deer, racoons, skunks, kids, etc. It can cover an area 45' wide and 35' deep.

They look like this:

You can buy them at a lot of garden supply stores on on Amazon.
TF

#18 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I also have a problem with cats using my yard for a litter box. I know you can spray them to rid the problem but i am in the city so I cant spray them with what it takes to solve the problem for good and save many song birds, number 4 shot. I will try the pepper idea, I just wish we had coyotes in our neighborhood. Folks say they have seen cougar, bear and deer but no coyotes. Oh well off to Winco.

#28 · (Edited)
Issues? Really Sparks?:backlaugh::backlaugh::backlaugh:

The only issue is that I take care of my property. I could deal with the flower beds but when they started going under the bench which sits under a covered porch I had to do something. On a warm summer day the stench of cat urine was so strong that you didn't even want to open the front door because you would smell it inside. It was also not what I wanted people to smell when they walked up to my front door. I tried two types of cat/dog repellent and neither one had any effect.

The snapping of the mouse traps worked perfectly. The intent was not to actually have the trap snap onto the cat but rather the noise alone would scare them away. I guess there may have been some collateral damage but I'm not real sympathetic when someones uncontrolled pet is using my front walk as a litter box.

I always thought it would be kinda fun to watch as some cat owner washes their car. Then when they are completed I would take my 70# Labrador down and have her jump up on top of their car and run around.

#20 ·
I too have a problem with cats using our yard as a toilet. We used to be able to walk across the lawn barefoot but not anymore. Will the pepper flakes hurt the grass? I've heard about ultra sonic noise makers maybe working too but am afraid to fork out the money. I think cat owners should be more responsible with their pets. Our neighbors just let them run loose to do their "business" anywhere. You can't do that with dogs. Cats should be the same way.........

#26 ·
They make a citrus based gel that shakes out in little gel pellets that you put around plants etc. Cats do not like citrus.

Thanks
CW

#29 ·
I call 'em like I read 'em. If you have neighbor cats that are using your lawn as a litter box, then why not take it up the with irresponsible cat owner? Set a trap and either take the cat to the shelter or put a note on your neighbor's door. Something to the effect of "Hey Dumb..., I have your cat. Either keep it inside or you'll have to shell out the money to get it out of the shelter every time." But hey, that's just my opinion. :twocents:

In this thread, the OP IS the owner of the cats. Why not pick the 152 other anti-cat threads on this site. If I were to place steel traps on my lawn where all the neighborhood dogs like to pee, there would be outrage on this board. So...sorry, I'm not buying it.

#35 ·
the cheapest way I found was old coffee grounds from starbucks ( they give them away) doesn't hurt the kids or other animals and cats hate strange smells and works great !!

Wet or damp coffee grounds also have a stench after a while.PEW!Rates up there of the cat stench.So what do ya gain?One stink replaces another.:palm:

#32 ·
A long time ago when I lived in town. I had issues with cats. One morning I saw a cat hop the fence, then proceed to do its biz in the flower bed, I went out and scooped it up and then proceeded to throw it over the fence back into the neighbor (cat owners yard). Being a good neighbor and all, I felt that the cat losts its belongings in my yard so I just returned it.

After a whille I got tired of doing pooper detail every other day or so, and got sick of the stink. AND STEPPING IN IT!

Then I decided to try the ceyanne pepper thing and it worked great! It was funny hearing the neighborhood car sneezing that first hot august night at 12-3am. :backlaugh: After that, no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.