IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to Fish Rooster Tails

42K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wilsonriverfisher 
#1 ·
I see a lot of reports on folks using Rooster Tails to catch trout. I'm heading to Howard Praraiee on Friday for some opening day trout fishing down there. Have gone before and we've always done the Powerbait thing, which has been occasionally successful, but can be pretty boring when it's not working so well.

Last night I went to fishermans supply and picked up a variety of smaller RoosterTails (mostly 1/6 oz), but not sure how to use them. Should I be casting these with no weight, or maybe trolling them with some split shot? Will be fishing off a boat, with no downrigger.

Also bringing wedding rings, macks/ford fender trolls, fly gear, froggy flat fish and the bass gear depending on the temperature (Rapalas, crayfish plugs etc.)

Suggestions for alternatives to staring at Powerbait all day?

-= Scott

#3 ·
When i fish from the bank with a rooster tail, depending on current, and how much speed it takes for the blades to spin, i will use a small split shot about a foot up from the rooster tail. i like to cast out right in front of me, then let it drift from the other side back to my side. from a boat. just let out a bunch of line with a split shot or two

#4 ·
If you have light enough line and ultralight rod-you can cast just fine without extra weight. I'll only add split shot if I need an extra long cast or need to go deeper.

Vary your retrieve speed and method often and vary the depth you're retrieving through- often. If they're not biting- change colors- often.
If they're short striking- change something- often.

If trolling be sure to use a good swivel or you'll twist up your line something fierce! Easy to troll these without weight- unless it doesn't work- then try something different- often!

Jim

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Will give Rooster Tails a try this weekend.

-= Scott

#6 ·
I think rooster tails are about the funnest lure to catch trout on. If fishing from a boat maybe work the shorelines in the morning. If fish are jumping cast toward them. As was said go fast enough to get the blades spinning and make sure if you ad weight, you put it high enough that on your cast your hooks don't hang up on it. Good luck! I have caught bass, bluegill, trout, steelhead, and everything in between on rooster tails! Also... make sure you have a couple pink with silver blade (best lure ever made!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.