IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wolves on Hebo Mtn???

15K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  huntgrouse 
#1 ·
!!!!!!DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!

I have some friends that were running hounds up by Hebo Mtn last night and apparently ran into some wolves, I guess they ran across the road in front of them. From what I was told they also talked with a ODFW employee up their that said they have planted 2 pairs in that area and have been tracking them from Agency Cr. to Hebo Mtn.

Please do not bash me, but this is not the first report I have gotten about wolf/wolf track sightings in the area. My girlfriend is from that area so we hear a lot from her friends and family. Can anyone on here verify any of this?

#40 ·
Oh, that Mt Hebo. I thought they were talking about Hebo Mtn. Of course there are tons of wolves here in the coast range on Mt Hebo. I wouldn't bother ever hunting there again.....probably get ate by a wolf or worse not see any game since the super concentration of coastal wolves have cleaned us out. Coastal wolves are the most stealthy of all wolves and so far have avoided ever being photographed nor have they ever left a track that could be confirmed to be made by a wolf. There the sneaky ones.....

#41 ·
I find it interesting that folks "report" wolf siting to the USFS, but not ODFW? I find it interesting that with all the potential sitings there's no evidence. I find it interesting that no one's explained why ODFW, or any state agency anywhere, would keep factual data regarding wolf locations a secret. Yes, they probably can't legally reveil exact den sites and up to date radio collar data (they don't provide that for deer and elk either) but there's no reason not to provide documentation of general locations such as Mt. Hebo.

#44 ·
They will not be happy until everyone stops buying elk tags for a year or two. hit them where it hurts and let them know how most tax paying Oregon Citizens feel...Otherwise they ( ODFW) will do what they want at our expense ( taxes)...Maybe we can get as many wolves as Idaho so the Elk populations go bonk here too!

#47 ·
So lets say one is out hunting yotes/game in the hebo region and they come across one of these "wolves". It has no collar and is much larger than a yote, BUT knowing what we know by ODFW publications there should be/are no wolves in this region AND if you were to ask an ODFW official I am sure they would reassure you that there are no wolves in the coast range. What would you believe to be the repercussions for taking the shot assuming that he/she has all necessary licenses and is on the assumption that it is a coyote, but indeed it was a wolf in the coast range?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.