IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best Brown Trout Lure?

26K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  dinghy 
#1 ·
It's that time of the year when I am getting excited to troll Wickiup for some Big Brownies....I was wandering what lures/colors work for all you guy's. For me I like to rip troll a broken-back Rapala, Trophy stick, or A.C. Plug in the Kokanee pattern. But the Baby Brown Trout Rapala is a real killer!!!

#2 ·
I think you have it covered pretty good. I now carry a duffel bag full of plano boxes stuffed with minnow imitating lures. Try to match the baitfish in the lake you are fishing. For kokanee I use black and silver, chubs I use perch patterns. I might add Bomber long A's, Lucky Craft Pointers, BettenCourt Baits and Rebel lures to your list.

#3 ·
I am always fiddling with different Trophy Sticks, ACs, Rapalas (of all types), Lucky Crafts, and some I can't even remember the names of. Vary size, color, rip, no rip, etc, based on all sorts of theories and observations. My wife simply ties on a Lucky Craft Pointer 128 in Aurora Black, puts her feet up, and constantly outfishes me.

#4 ·
What a great post. :applause: For us old guys that have been fishing for browns before the Internet. This information would have save me a lot of time and money. All I would add is to buy a few lures mentioned and be on the water trolling the first two hours and the last two hours of the day. I am not saying you cant catch browns during the day but there is a definitely a morning and evening bite for browns. :thisbig:

#11 ·
I have fished them all but the best lure bar none is a Rapala. They are durable and catch a lot of big fish

I agree. I'd be willing to bet that more large trout have been caught on Rapalas than any other. My nephew's former record was on a Rapala. My 3 biggest browns were on Rapalas. When I talk to some of my brown trout friends in La Pine/Bend, we discuss our success in terms of which Rapala was working, not which lure was working. For casting, I really don't even consider anything else. :twocents:

#13 ·
Typically, I like to "match the hatch". If there's browns and they stock the lake with rainbows, can't go wrong with rainbow patterns. If there are kokanee, can't go wrong with kokanee patterns (i.e. I think someone mentioned "Aurora Black LC Pointer", that's pretty spot on). Of course, chub pattern at a place such as wickiup. I bet the baby brown trout pattern there would produce (like you stated).

But, don't be afraid to try different stuff. I remember one time Klamanite called me up and I think he said the "hot steel" pattern was the hot color of the day one time. I've caught them on perch and fire-tiger patterns as well. Heck, I think "coyote's" biggest brown was on a fire-tiger pattern.

Can't go wrong with your very standard F-13 Rapala in black and silver. It's seems so boring and the lure that "everyone" uses. But, it's like the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good luck to you.

#14 ·
Typically, I like to "match the hatch". If there's browns and they stock the lake with rainbows, can't go wrong with rainbow patterns. If there are kokanee, can't go wrong with kokanee patterns (i.e. I think someone mentioned "Aurora Black LC Pointer", that's pretty spot on). Of course, chub pattern at a place such as wickiup. I bet the baby brown trout pattern there would produce (like you stated).

But, don't be afraid to try different stuff. I remember one time Klamanite called me up and I think he said the "hot steel" pattern was the hot color of the day one time. I've caught them on perch and fire-tiger patterns as well. Heck, I think "coyote's" biggest brown was on a fire-tiger pattern.

Can't go wrong with your very standard F-13 Rapala in black and silver. It's seems so boring and the lure that "everyone" uses. But, it's like the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good luck to you.
Thanks all for your list of fav's...there are a few I will have to try out:excited: I run mostly Rapala's too but I cant seem to keep the size 13 off the bottom at Wickiup and usually resort to the size 11. Any tips on depth would be great...I try to fish in 8-20 ft. of water paying attention to drop-off's and points.

#15 ·
make sure you pick up a couple extra for me too.... maybe this year you will let ME catch one of the :thisbig: browns! +? years fishing Wickiup w/you and it never fails..... you come home happy and I come home saying I'll never go back... :doh: but this year is different, I'm gonna come home:meme:Happy!

#17 ·
I've always used a baby brown or baby rainbow 4-6" floating about 60 feet behind the boat or casting off shore jigging every couple seconds. I've always filled my limits with them.

#18 · (Edited)
While fishing East Lake a few years back the lodge owner said guys were knocking the browns to death on a lure called Trophy Sticks. Of course they were selling them there for 17.00(Yikes). One was called the Tui Chub and looked killer so I had to. I was very impressed when we began running it just out from the lodge. Fifteen or so minutes and fish-on 8 1/2 pound brown. Here is a link on where to purchase them. Look at the one called a spawning Kokanee, in late august through october 31, this looks deadly. Anyways my new favorite brown lure.
www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/brands/Trophy_Sticks/Trophy_Sticks.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.