IFish Fishing Forum banner

Yarn ball colors

15K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Akuracy503 
#1 ·
I'm stuck in the world of pink for my yarn ball colors...with a few bright florecent reds. As a summer stellhead fly fisherman I use a lot of different color flies, why do I get stuck in such a pink rut for winters??(by far the best winter color I think)

My question is blue / purple / green / burnt orange... are great steelhead fly colors has anyone tried them for yarn balls / yarnies with any success ??

#3 ·
I always like pink, peach or shrimp colored yarnies but when they are not getting it done I have fun looking for the right color combo for the day/water condition.

I have a spot that kicks out winter fish to a 75% Purple/25% Orange yarn ball really consistently.

In off colored or rising water I like 90% Black/10% Fl Red.

I have been playing with Blue/White with a limited amount of success the last couple of years.

Oh and in cold clear water straight white can convince a reluctant fish sometimes.

#4 ·
orange/red/orange and red/pink/peach/shrimp.........Honestly, i think to many people get caught up in colors and all that jazz and complicate steelhead fishing. There not as smart as you think. All your basic colors work my man. I like the pink and orange combo, but get bored sometimes and build lots of types.

#15 ·
I like bright pink/red in high/colored water.

Try duller pink/blue in low/clear water. Also, just add black to red or black to pink and just make smaller. The book of colors has pink/red/chartruse all showing up in cloudy/sunny days and warm/cold temps. I have seen someone using the pink/blue and having success when water level dropped and color was clearing up.

#19 ·
Tell me one person who doesn't primarily fish pink in the winter. thats the color that works in the average winter flow. Sure other colors produce but if it isn't broke dont fix it.
If you want a change try using a rag style yarnie on lock jaw days.
Switching to orange in the summer isnt a bad idea either.

#20 ·
Green and white or chartreuse and white have always worked well for me. The claret color seems to be getting a lot of attention with other methods of fishing, including flies, plugs, spoons and spinners. Might have to try some. JIM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.